AK pre-flop

• kranimpire
      kranimpire
      Basic
      Hi everybody!

I'm new to the forum and to poker in general. My first and only deposit was 22$ yesterday at pokerstars. I play exclusively on 45-players 0.25$ tournament.

My username is "53pm" and I've played three times. Although I made no money on the first, I was quite happy as I managed to get 2nd in the next one, therefore winning $2.22.

In my last one, however, something unusual happened and I was eliminated in the first hand.
      I was late position holding AK, when one player raised from mid-position. I re-raised (with about 1/5 of my stack), he re-re-raised with 40% of his stack. Here I went all-in, losing after he showed his AA.

Can someone explain me what I was supposed to do? Maybe extending to other strong hands and high-betting early situations as well?

thanks
  • 8 replies
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      not much you can do mate, you played it the same way almost everybody else would have
    • kranimpire
      kranimpire
      Basic
      no problem. I'll be posting hands here soon :)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Welcome to PokerStrategy.com kranimpire!

Regarding the hand there is very little you can do in that spot. AK is pretty strong enough to shove/call off especially in the early stages of the lower limit buy-ins as people could shove an awful lot worse.

You just happen to come across a guy with the absolute nuts!
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Welcome to PokerStrategy.com kranimpire!

Regarding the hand there is very little you can do in that spot. AK is pretty strong enough to shove/call off especially in the early stages of the lower limit buy-ins as people could shove an awful lot worse.

You just happen to come across a guy with the absolute nuts!
      This for sure!

I'm a cashgame player but I've played some little buy in SnG's and MTT's. I've seen ppl shoving with soo many crappy hands in the early stages. I think it's because it's a small buy in they try to play it fast and if they bust they'll just open another one?

So you played it correctly imo and I would never ever play it any differently.

Regards

RasTweet
    • ariolis30
      ariolis30
      Basic
      they happen, something nothing you can do but stay postive
    • plentyoffish
      plentyoffish
      Bronze
      A slim chance is always a chance. You also had a slim chance of drawing to a straight or trips to crack his "stone-cold nuts".

I say, if you always get your money in when you have the best shot, by the percentages you will come out ahead overall and in the long run. Even if that run is longer than you expected it would be.

Variance, it's an ugly word when you take a bad beat, but step back and look at the Big picture :)
    • KnowHung
      KnowHung
      Bronze
      About this i can say only what i do. With A K its only raise, but when u get 4bet its already fold.
      Or better, just get to the flop and do it again, not going all in. And in 30% of all plays u gona be winner.
    • plentyoffish
      plentyoffish
      Bronze
      There is a school of thought that considers "tournament life" an overriding consideration...this is discussed on Party's website tutorial.

It all comes down to the "it depends" kind of answer.

Personally, with me, if it was a big tournament and I stood to lose a large buy-in on a freezeout, I would fold the slick on a fourbet... Anna Kournakova (what I call A-K in my home game buddy games) can be a cruel mistress at times!

When it comes right down to it, do you want to risk calling a 4-bet preflop with A-K when you consider that you are actually a dog to many pocket pairs? My strategy with A-K is to see a flop with one raise depending on position and go from there.