Making Notes

• stantos
      Hi guys

Something that I don't do much of but trying to do more of is making notes. I'm playing on a site now where there seems to be a lot more regulars than say Party.

Trouble is I'm not totally sure on exactly what I should be looking for when making notes or how to write them. I'll note an example of what iv'e been writing then perhaps people can add there own and give advice on what I should be looking for.

Sorry i know it sounds silly, even if i get ripped apart at least I'll learn something :D

clld with tp6k nl10 18/08/08

bet 3streets with flush draw, folded to reraise nl10 19/08/08

folded to 3bet pf i held kings 20/08/08

• 5 replies
    • fostieh
      you can make notes of ANYTHING that you think will help you make a decision, going from small stuff like "he uses the check/fold button on the BB and doesn't protect his blinds at all" in order to steal blinds a bit more often, to slowplaying monsters, to calling down stuff with midpair or some kind of draw

You just need to make sure you see the difference between notes being able to help, and actually basing your play off of it. Don't think they'll always have midpair because they called you down to showdown once...
    • Grimzor
      Look for something that is different from usual play style.

Dont put on note that he folded to your 3bet when you had kings. It might have some significance in very specific situation but most of time its useless. Imagine someone raise from MP with AJs. Now you 3bet with KK. Its normal play that he folds. Thats like making note that he folded to your raise. That happens all the time.

What i put on notes is unusual play. Like limping AA, KK preflop. If he donkbets and i get to showdown i can add to note with what he did that move. Sometimes add about blind defending. Note like your example about flush draw play can be good too. I sometimes see and add fishes that overplay suited cards.

After seeing that in one video i started noting multitablers when i play SNGs. I add note saying "MT (X)" where x is table count. (I try to find it out using find player function which sometimes doesnt work). This helps quite much sometimes as i know that MT (16) will be damn busy on all those tables and will play only very very strong hands in the beginning, he will probably know ICM, his push range will be bit looser than unknown player and he will generaly play quite good.
    • stantos
      thanks for your comments so far, really interesting. I suppose it's a skill in itself, you know noticing certain things. Like everything it's an area that can be developed.
    • TribunCaesar
      Hey guys,

I'll give you some examples on what I make notes and how they look like.

NL100 SH|limp/call AA
      NL50FR| c/r K high flop as PFA with air
      NL200SH|donkbet/fold a lot against pfa

You can make notes on everything you recognize and you think is useful later on. The higher you get in the limits the more important it is to make notes.

Best regards,
    • swissmoumout
      I do it like that:

(players)(limit): general tendencies
      detailed plays

for example

sh200: very spewy; too loose esp. in 3-bet pots
      snaps my c/r on 974r w/ A7o, calls turn 6, CB river 2
      calls 3-bet IP w/ KTo, calls 2 streets on T-high, drawy board
      squeezes after 2 coldcalls with ATs, calls shove (from original raiser, 22/15 reg)
      raises, calls 3-bet oop with A3s, deep
      squeezes light against UTG