Moving up through μNL in 2010

• 7 replies
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheWinnerTakesItAll
      Hi, I recently switched from FR to SH and now I'm looking for a good material to study. What do you think about Verneer's book Moving up through μNL in 2010? Is it good? Is it not outdated? I'm playing NL16.
      It really helped me for when I first started playing SH at NL2. I would say that at NL16 it is likely that not much of the material will be new to you.
    • TheWinnerTakesItAll
      TheWinnerTakesItAll
      Bronze
      Metza, I saw in your blog that you are playing NL50, so maybe you could recommend some books? :)
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheWinnerTakesItAll
      Metza, I saw in your blog that you are playing NL50, so maybe you could recommend some books? :)
      Not at NL50 anymore, went on a bit of a tilt spree there so it will be a couple weeks at least till I can take another shot. :facepalm:

At the moment I am reading Applications of No Limit Hold'em and it is very very good. It is quite maths based though so if you're not into that sorta thing you won't like it, but if you are you'll love it.

PokerStrategys coach MBML has just released a book I believe. I haven't actually bought it, but if I remember right its quite cheap and his content is top quality so I'd recommend checking that out.

I also found Sklansky's No Limit Hold'em Theory and Practice to be quite good, especially the concept list at the end.

What is NL16 like? I skipped it because I felt like fish never would want to play 8c/16c blinds so I was better off waiting longer and going to NL25 instead.
    • TheWinnerTakesItAll
      TheWinnerTakesItAll
      Bronze
      I hate those blinds too :D

NL16 is not going very well, after 8k hands I'm down 2BI. I still need time to adjust, because ranges in SH are wider, more aggressive players, more 3betting/4betting and etc. And I still don't know which game I want to play more. When I play FR, I want to play some SH and when I play SH, I want to play FR. Maybe mixing up the games would solve this problem.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      If you're pretty new to SH, then actually Verneers book may be quite useful. It has a good section on some default opening ranges etc and the general concepts.
    • Yozan
      Yozan
      Platinum
      The poker blueprint :f_love:
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey winner! seems like you're ~same limits as me although im a bit like metza with the whole nl16 thing :D playing mainly zoom nl10 with some nl25.

about books, i think moving through unl in 2010 is at least a pretty good read. imo its always good to read content even if you sort of know it just to keep it fresh in your mind and remind yourself. not sure if you've read verneer's 'building a bankroll'? seems like it could be of some use but there may not be a lot of new info in there for you.

if you can somehow get hold of balugawhale's easy game(s) i've heard really good stuff about that...

can't speak about applications of NLHE atm since i havent yet read it, but hopefully i'll have a copy soon :)

and...
      Originally posted by Yozan
      The poker blueprint :f_love:

+1! this was a pretty good read as far as i remember.

tbh there's only so much a book can help. experience will serve you really well i think, so definitely try your best to get some quality volume.