From Rags to Riches with the help of w34z3l

• B0WSER
      B0WSER
      Bronze
      Good afternoon,

I have been lurking around a while watching videos and reading articles so I thought it was about time I give something back to the site. I am starting some poker coaching with W34z3L and have decided to keep a blog which will also incorporate feedback to the coaching lessons and hopefully keep me on track whilst progressing further with my “poker career”.
      I am a 25 year old Mechanical Engineer from the UK, work long hours and have a young family, so “Me-time” is very limited. I was first introduced to poker in a pub like most people, at first the game didn’t interest me; I was used to playing nap and brag and didn’t really care for the game until I got invited to my first home game where my love of the game started, I won £45 just by being over-aggressive as I was in brag, this approach didn’t work for very long which inspired me to get better at the game. So I started educating myself and became a “regular” in my local pub tournament and from there met a group of guys who played weekly home games, from which I started to make decent profits, It wasn’t until I started playing online that I realised I wasn’t as good as I first thought, I proceeded to lose money playing above my BR and playing better players, this is what prompted me to enquire about lessons with Adam, my first one being tonight!

I’m currently playing NL10, I have purchased HEM2 and will be posting graphs of my progress throughout my blog, my aim is to play around 8000 hands a week while being coached which will hopefully give Adam a large enough sample to plug my leaks…I think he’ll need a pretty big plug! In addition to graphs I want to post at least 5 hands per week to be analysed, this will hopefully give me an insight to how other people perceive a certain situation.

Looking forward to getting started and getting to know a few people on here!
  • 14 replies
    • nooni2k
      nooni2k
      Bronze
      Hi B0WSER

Will follow with interest - I also get coaching with Adam =)

Can I ask though... if you work long hours and have a young family how will you play 8k hands per week!? That's like 6-tabling for 2.5-3 hours every day...unless you're playing fast-fold poker? still a lot though, esp for someone with a full time job.

GL ofc!
    • B0WSER
      B0WSER
      Bronze
      Hi Nooni,

8000 is my aim, whether I get that or not is another question, however, I have had the nod off the other half to play a little bit more during the coaching to get the most out of it...I should imagine most of my playing time will be split up between 2100 onward on weekdays and mornings on weekends. I am currently playing a mixture of fast fold and normal cash games depending on the amount of time I have available. I managed to play 1850 hands of fast fold style poker this morning before work...I am hoping to have a little more structure over the upcoming weeks.

Hopefully we can help each other out as we are both being coached by Adam!
    • nooni2k
      nooni2k
      Bronze
      Wow, nice volume session! I'm guessing you don't start work at 9am?!

Good job getting the missus on board. Highly +EV

Will add you in the community
    • B0WSER
      B0WSER
      Bronze
      Just been reading your blog...top read...apart from the stuff about kicking a round ball about, more of an egg chaser myself! Haha.

My hours are 8-5, but I'm usually in work before that. I get up at 0500 everyday of the week, it allows me to get anything sorted for that day or to get in an hour or so of poker ;)

Look forward to bouncing a few ideas off you.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      subscribed =D
    • nooni2k
      nooni2k
      Bronze
      Blimey mate, well at least you have decent commitment/mindset if you're up at 5am every day. Respect :f_cool:

Used to be an egg chaser myself in school... full back first, then a left winger. But I stopped growing at 5'9" and 11.5 stone so wouldn't last 5 minutes on a rugby field any more :D What position do you play?

Glad you like the blog, drop in any time ;)
    • Alleen86
      Alleen86
      Silver
      Good luck, man!

Will follow your progress! :)
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      Nice blog Sir!

Will follow with interest - good luck with your goals / schedule! 8k hands per week under these circumstances sounds pretty tough but where there is a will there is a way :D
    • B0WSER
      B0WSER
      Bronze
      Morning all,

Had my first coaching session with Adam last night...I was pretty nervous to begin with but seemed to loosen up as the session progressed, I believe the session went well, Adam pointed out a few of my weaknesses, bet sizing and it would seem my positional play wasn't as sharp as I once thought. All in all a good first session, I felt like I learnt a good amount but wasn't overloaded with information so that I couldn't concentrate. Adam, in my opinion, has a very good teaching style and keeps explanations clear and concise.

This is my graph from Sunday to present, a bit up and down but I'm on my way towards 8000 hands, this is a mixture of fast fold poker and normal nl10 cash games.

Managed to squeeze in 700 hands this morning between 0530 - 0700, the little one isn't feeling to great today so there might not be any poker played tonight.

Bowser
    • B0WSER
      B0WSER
      Bronze
      Good morning,

I've been on a bit of a roller-coaster ride with results the past few days, which I think is mostly down to getting tired and playing for too long, Tuesday was pretty spewy c/w a bit of bad luck...I lost 4BI's. Whilst playing I had an email through from raketherake, which reminded me that I had some rakeback in my PKR account, after loading up the software I was a little disappointed to see only $7, I then thought I'd be one of those annoying short stacks and sat at a $25nl table after about 200 hands I manged to get up to $45. So basically Tuesday all in all was a break-even day.

PKR

PS

Yesterday morning I was up early, walked the dog made breakfast and managed a couple of thousand hands for a small profit, then got ready for work, however work didn't last long after throwing up on the way there and once when I got there, think it might have been from the out of date egg whites I got through earlier that morning, I thought they tasted a bit funny! Anyway after a little lie down and I decided to play another session, I din't play particularly well, I was tired, not feeling great and I didn't have many breaks which I definitely need to address! Anyway the graphs are below.

Morning session

The rest of the days session

]

Sorry to inundate you with graphs but here is my results for this week so far, only about 2bb/100 over 20k hands, it's not great but it's still a +.

I think I need to set myself some goals and targets so I can get some kind of balance between poker and other things in my day to day life, family, work, gym, etc.

Poker - Post graphs 1 or 2 graphs per week max! Play approximately 3 hours play per weekday and whatever time I have on the weekends, with shorts breaks every 1 - 1.5 hours. Review my coaching session and take notes, watch more videos on PS, post some hands for review (when I know figure out how to) and take more coaching with Adam.

Gym - 6 days a week split between weights and Hiit training. My diet has taken a battering as of late and mid week drinking has worked its way in, however this has now stopped as I need to get back in shape for a couple of holidays later in the year...if anyone is interested in about training I can incorporate this into my blog as well.

Family - To keep the other half on side, as of next week, we are now having a "date night" once a week, hopefully this will smooth things over if poker and gym take up too much of my time.

Will post some hands later on this evening after the gym!
    • B0WSER
      B0WSER
      Bronze
      Morning all,

Had a bit of a busy weekend round the house and garden but still managed a few sessions, wasn't the best weekend for poker think I ended up down about 8 BI's...Mainly because of a drunken Friday night spew ;( . Oh well we learn from our mistakes...I'm on a 6 week detox from today and starting a 6 week cutting diet ready for holiday, so the next 6 weeks are going to be pretty boring X( .

Going to have another coaching session with Adam this week, hopefully sort out a few things. I'm at work now, so will post a progress graph after tonight's session.

BOWSER
    • B0WSER
      B0WSER
      Bronze
      Morning all,

Haven't updated this in a little while, so here goes...

I'll keep it short as I'll be posting some interesting hands among other things when I get home.

I have had 2 sessions with Adam now and really feel like I have a better understanding of the game already, my next session is next week as I wanted a little time to adjust to the information he has given me and to get used to understanding my new HUD. I reverted back to my old ways before our second session, trying to play too many tables and too many hands which led to losing money, however since our second session I have been playing a lot better and I am happy with my progress albeit even money running under EV ;( .

I am going to take a few days off paying poker and concentrate on some theory and videos, now that I am :f_cool: platinum status :f_cool: I have a lot of resources at my disposal...I have read the odd poker book and read a couple of articles but I am now in the mindset that studying is just as important as playing poker. Do you guys have any suggestions on material that maybe interesting for me to read or watch?

:spade: A few short term goals... :spade:

• Keep good mindset and focus whilst playing and take breaks when I feel my concentration is slipping.
      • Retain a good amount of volume after study days
      • Post 10 hands for review.
      • Atleast 5 hours study by the weekend.
      • Play no more than 6 tables.

Well that's it for now guys...I'll post some hands after work.

Thanks

B0WSER
    • B0WSER
      B0WSER
      Bronze
      Evening all,

Have been a little busy this evening to post hands so I will post my graph of my NL25 shots, I think I've played pretty solidly even though I'm down 5 buy-ins I'm running like $200 below EV. Moving back down to NL10 to lick my wounds and grind myself back up.

• ilioas
      ilioas
      Bronze
      Originally posted by B0WSER
      Evening all,

Have been a little busy this evening to post hands so I will post my graph of my NL25 shots, I think I've played pretty solidly even though I'm down 5 buy-ins I'm running like $200 below EV. Moving back down to NL10 to lick my wounds and grind myself back up.

Hi.

Noce seeing your hit at nl25.
      From your graph main part is that your red line is in bad shape. If you would have it around zero then you could be a winning player even with 200$ below EV.
      And then comes another point that below EV occurs quite frequently if you play aggressive and besides +EV moves you make a lot of -EV moves.
      I did that kind of bad play at nl10 + some nl25 and my ev was -800 through 50k+ hands. And so was my tendency - downwards.
      Now I do read hands and my ev tendency is + and EV goes more or less close.