Tournament Question

• MackPDaddy
      MackPDaddy
      Bronze
      Hi guys
      Its the very start of a $1 Tournament with a 1000 players, starting blinds are 10/20 and I'm the BB the UTG & UTG+1 both fold UTG+3 raises 2x BB, MP folds MP+1 calls and MP+3 folds CO also folds, BU moves all in and SB calls, I have AKs do I call or fold,
      I will tell you what I did later and the out come of the hand but I would just like to know what others would have done .
      Mack
  • 22 replies
    • MackPDaddy
      MackPDaddy
      Bronze
      Sorry posted in wrong area
    • Nabukadnezar
      Nabukadnezar
      Bronze
      if it's the beginning of a 1 dollar tournament, you should just go all in. it's great to play in tournaments with a big stack from the beginning, you have to take more risks at this stage. go all in with draws and dumb stuff like that. why bother playing for a few hours and lose. better play for a few minutes and double or triple up so u have a bigger chance later. if you lose it's fine because you only lost a few minutes of your time
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Nabu how many tournies have you won or finished in the money with that strategy? Probably none.

Look in the beginning of the tournie... DO NOT try to double or triple up on AK!! Going all in with AK on a multiway pot is not good. You want to avoid coinflips.

You have to play very tight.

Think about it:
      You have around 1 hour to get the hand you need to double up. Be patient and it will come (mostly because so many players play with Nabu's strategy and you will kick them out)

To win a tourney you want to stay away from as many coinflips as possible, unless your shortstacked.

Your normal tournament strategy should look something like this:
      Beginning very tight
      You might double or triple up because of fish during the first hour since they go all in on second best pair etc.
      Once this has been achieved tighten up again.

When the first bubble comes be aggresive towards low stacks and be carefull of big stacks. Fold to all ins from short stacks if you have a coinflip situation.

When you become shortstacked get more aggresive again. This is probably the second bubble. You will be very close now to being in the money. (around 2-3 hours play time)

You need to get into the money... if you are very close (20 players or so) play tight if your short stack. Nothing sucks more then beeing eliminated that close. If your big stack you can still bully and so on since a lot of players are trying to reach the bubble.

Once in the money play normal again. You need to double or triple up.

Now just hang in.. players will start to play a lot more lose again.
      You will notice big stacks beeing very pushy. Try to get the upper hand against them if you can.
      If not you might be eliminated before the final table.

Ok final table I can't give advice anymore... closest ever was place 19

But trust me this stuff works. I placed 59 out of 3400 players and was in the money in multiple tournies.

Getting into the money isn't that difficult. The first hour is important, if you mange to double up here (in a safe way! can't stress this enough) its good. If you don't manage a very critical point will be the second hour, but this is very exciting. Third hour brings its up and downs. Fourth hour is very exciting again, your probably in the money... but will be having a really tough time because of the blinds. I get eliminated somewhere around here mostly, mainly because I am forced to take coinflips or slight underdog positions.

Oh some things to watch out for:
      A limp in later stages by a big stacks might indicate Ax. A min-raise something better. Don't fall for this.
      The entire "push against limpers" doesn't really work here anymore. You goto be carefull who your up against.

Good luck on your tournies.
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      @Dragar your strategy ain't good enough... You'll never win a tourney this way...

To win a tourney you want to stay away from as many coinflips as possible, unless your shortstacked.

You've never read a tournament strategy have you? To win a tourney you have to win coinflips...

Fold to all ins from short stacks if you have a coinflip situation.

Whaaat whyyyy???
      And how do you know if theres a coinflip situation.. lol... Shortstacks push range is so wide you can never really know if theres a coinflip situation or not...

You need to get into the money...

You ain't thinking like a tournament player... It will ruin your game if you play to cash... When playing a tournament you have to be aggressive to get to the final table... Use your stack as a weapon and don't be scared to shove it in...

You don't play tourneys to have a high itm% since well if you play that way you might spend 2 hours getting your buy in back +2$ yeaaaa
      You play tourneys to have high roi%

Best tournament players finish itm% maybe 15% at max but when they win few coinflips and get lucky they get to the final table... So they have over 100% roi...

You don't play tournaments to cash... You play them to win...
      Thats the bottom line...

@Nabu.... Your strategy sucks... Lol
      You should rather go all in on draws and stuff like that on the bubble and late stages... With 10/20 blinds... going all in on a draw is just stupid...

And for the original poster...
      This is a strange situation... there are both reasons to fold it and reasons to just shove it in there...
      Most of the time your ahead here... Maybe a coinflip...
      Since donks in 1$ are probably pushing any two in the first hands :) so well making the call and your probably ahead... but 40% change your getting outdrawned :)

I wouldn't think to much about it I would just shove it in there and then register for the next 1$ tourney :D
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      MTT - SNGs

Read my post there imo
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Why should I take a coinflip for a pot of 100?? Taking coinflips in the beginning makes no sense to me.

Yes their range is huge... hence AK vs 10 Q can still be beat..

99 vs 10 K can still be beat....

this is the beginning stages. Your really gonna risk your entire tournament for this?

Shortstacks do not push a wide range in the first bubble. If they fold to 10+ hands and then push... they got something.

I also don't play to get into the money, I play to win. I do take risks but only when they make sense.

I will not give a shortstack the benefit of doubling up on a coinflip if his stack is half of mine or so.

I just switch the style to get into the money if I am facing problems right before it. I will switch back right after again.

I had tournies where I would have had to wait 5 mins more or so to get into the money.. but I chose to take a coinflip which I lost. I am not doing that again.
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      Why should I take a coinflip for a pot of 100?? Taking coinflips in the beginning makes no sense to me.

I agree with you here since it's not the smartest thing in the world... But it's a 1$ tourney and it would be a nice thing to start with 5k chippies :D

Shortstacks do not push a wide range in the first bubble. If they fold to 10+ hands and then push... they got something.

But if you've already raised them your probably getting good odds to call any two cards... if they are 10bb or less... And with antes this call is +ev

I just switch the style to get into the money if I am facing problems right before it. I will switch back right after again.

It's harder to get chips after the bubble since players seem to loosen up. Abuse the bubble...

I had tournies where I would have had to wait 5 mins more or so to get into the money.. but I chose to take a coinflip which I lost.

Right thing to do... Imagine the chips you would've had if you had won those flips... Ticket to the final table... rather then sitting out through the bubble...

To win a tournament you gotta have the guts to take coinflips
    • superjunk
      superjunk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Nabukadnezar
      if it's the beginning of a 1 dollar tournament, you should just go all in. it's great to play in tournaments with a big stack from the beginning, you have to take more risks at this stage. go all in with draws and dumb stuff like that. why bother playing for a few hours and lose. better play for a few minutes and double or triple up so u have a bigger chance later. if you lose it's fine because you only lost a few minutes of your time
      Dude.. :evil:
    • Nabukadnezar
      Nabukadnezar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dragar
      Nabu how many tournies have you won or finished in the money with that strategy? Probably none.
      Actually I won at least 15 X( I'm currently playing medium stakes tournaments on Full Tilt.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Actually I won at least 15 X( I'm currently playing medium stakes tournaments on Full Tilt.
      Tournies as in 100++ players. You really won 15 with that strategy?? Somehow I don't believe it..
    • Nabukadnezar
      Nabukadnezar
      Bronze
      Somehow I don't believe it..
      ok
    • superjunk
      superjunk
      Bronze
      Well maybe you did...
      But your strategy sucks to me.. A gambler heart.

So i gues you play 10 $ mtt`s @ the moment ?
      And always throw the money in with a 30 to 70 % situation ? ( in the beginning levels ) ??

What is your nickname ? if you wanna tell :)
    • Nabukadnezar
      Nabukadnezar
      Bronze
      Nabukadnezar on Full Tilt [Main Account] / icallwith5high on Titan [PS Account]. Yes I gamble a lot in the beginning. I play MTTs ranging from 11$ to 75$
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      Nabukadnezar on Full Tilt [Main Account] / icallwith5high on Titan [PS Account]. Yes I gamble a lot in the beginning. I play MTTs ranging from 11$ to 75$
      Why are you hidden on opr.com :( :(
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      code:
      DATE:                       Game:      Buy in:        Field:  Finsh.: Cashed:
      9/28/2008 4:46 PM	NL Hold'em	$14.00+$1.00	121	1	$75.00

9/26/2008 9:46 PM	NL Hold'em	$10.00+$1.00	203	7	$71.05

9/26/2008 4:51 PM	NL Hold'em	$5.00+$0.50	153	9	$17.21

9/26/2008 4:46 PM	NL Hold'em	$14.00+$1.00	132	1	$75.00

9/17/2008 6:06 PM	NL Hold'em	$5.00+$0.50	360	1	$450.00

8/6/2008 7:06 AM	NL Hold'em	$5.00+$0.50	150	7	$28.13

6/25/2008 4:06 AM	NL Hold'em	$5.00+$0.50	69	9	$0.00

Those are all your final tables on your main account

So I guess the rest of the 15 wins are on your titan account.... Meaning 12 wins there?

Your stats are nice tho 56% roi...

Btw most of them are just over 100 players so... Other dude was talking about some 1000+ player tourneys... not that it matters
    • Mendezov
      Mendezov
      Bronze
      Snap call
    • Marky84
      Marky84
      Bronze
      wow 2nd bubble sounds funny... when i am already itm after 1st bubble, what is the 2nd bubble for? is it to find a bubble girl for the busted sad bubble boy? :D holy moly
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Marky84
      wow 2nd bubble sounds funny... when i am already itm after 1st bubble, what is the 2nd bubble for? is it to find a bubble girl for the busted sad bubble boy? :D holy moly
      2nd bubble is probably when the next higher cash prize is... like in a tourney with normal prize structure you know...
    • Nabukadnezar
      Nabukadnezar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hlynkinn
      code:
      DATE:                       Game:      Buy in:        Field:  Finsh.: Cashed:
      9/28/2008 4:46 PM	NL Hold'em	$14.00+$1.00	121	1	$75.00

9/26/2008 9:46 PM	NL Hold'em	$10.00+$1.00	203	7	$71.05

9/26/2008 4:51 PM	NL Hold'em	$5.00+$0.50	153	9	$17.21

9/26/2008 4:46 PM	NL Hold'em	$14.00+$1.00	132	1	$75.00

9/17/2008 6:06 PM	NL Hold'em	$5.00+$0.50	360	1	$450.00

8/6/2008 7:06 AM	NL Hold'em	$5.00+$0.50	150	7	$28.13

6/25/2008 4:06 AM	NL Hold'em	$5.00+$0.50	69	9	$0.00

Those are all your final tables on your main account

So I guess the rest of the 15 wins are on your titan account.... Meaning 12 wins there?

Your stats are nice tho 56% roi...

Btw most of them are just over 100 players so... Other dude was talking about some 1000+ player tourneys... not that it matters
      Actually no, those are not all my final tables and although I have nothing to proof to you I will give you a link to a screen shot I took long time ago and posted on another forum, when I've won 2 tournaments in a row. At that time I was still making screen shots after winning a tournament.