Tournament Question

• MackPDaddy
      MackPDaddy
      Bronze
      Hi guys
      Its the very start of a $1 Tournament with a 1000 players, starting blinds are 10/20 and I'm the BB the UTG & UTG+1 both fold UTG+3 raises 2x BB, MP folds MP+1 calls and MP+3 folds CO also folds, BU moves all in and SB calls, I have AKs do I call or fold,
      I will tell you what I did later and the out come of the hand but I would just like to know what others would have done .
      Mack
  • 7 replies
    • TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      I would fold here, it's early on in the tournament and even though a double/triplle or even quadruple up (lol) would be nice, I wouldn't risk my hand with a questionable call.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi MackPDaddy,

In a $1 tournament, AKs is way ahead of both these guys ranges. I would definaitly call.

Goodluck
      Stiev
    • Flintrino
      Flintrino
      Bronze
      I'd probably call, it would put you in better position for later stages.
      Also it would better to be knocked out in the first hand than waiting 2 hours to be knocked out on the bubble.
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      hi... it was early stage of turnament so i choose definetly call coz there are only 2 hands thath u are in bad shape AA (u have about 9% to win) and KK u have 30% of win .... other else hands u have minimum 50% of winnig with is pretty good to tripl up in early stages....

only way to win is play ... imgaine if u have AA and your opponents have lower pair like QQ kK ... or 22 it doeasnt matter coz percentage of wining is same ...
      so u have AA preflop all in and your opponent 22 ... you have 80% wining one of 5 times u loose against 22 ... (catching trips,straight,flush drow etc)

i only saw one time folding pro AKs pre flop ... was Gus Hansen on Aussie millions (he win at the end)... becouse he was pretty deep ITM (in the money stage of turnament) and he nice reed other midl. stack that he had medium pair ...so he decided to fold becouse if he loose "coin flip" ((54:46))he would be crippled... so he decided to fold and wait to better spot...

if he call and loose he will have maybe 20K of $ in prize money.... if he decided to folding every hand he will make more than 50K$ coz of payout structure.........at the end he won 1,3M$...

so if i you i will definitly call... coz if u loose your coin flip (in 2 players in pot u have maybe 40% of win) you loose only 1$ buy in and few minutes... you can register to antoher turney and try luck again.

so conclusion if you are in ITM and 2 players move all in and if one of them get busted and you payout will increase exp 10$ to 16$(60%) i will choose fold ...(if i had medium stack) but no way im folding AK preflop in early,midle stages... maybe somtimes if it looks like he has AA so i fold..
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MackPDaddy
      Hi guys
      Its the very start of a $1 Tournament with a 1000 players, starting blinds are 10/20 and I'm the BB the UTG & UTG+1 both fold UTG+3 raises 2x BB, MP folds MP+1 calls and MP+3 folds CO also folds, BU moves all in and SB calls, I have AKs do I call or fold,
      I will tell you what I did later and the out come of the hand but I would just like to know what others would have done .
      Mack
      when you got a raise & reraise with AK you need to consider

buy-in , lower buy-in like this is more like lotto
      stack size , in deep stack you dont need to risk your tournament life
      blind structure , if turbo tourney and need to build chips quickly

read miskokvo post , its not that likley that one of them has As and you are getting good odds against Ks as well and a lot of players on these buy-ins will try to build chips quick and chance are you are not that bad shape
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      there is a good quote from David Sklansky in Tournament Poker for Advanced Players page 25and it relates to these situations in a tournament

Thus, it is quite common to see a player who is notorious for his looseness in normal games playing significantly tighter when he has a small or moderate tack in a poker tournament. Ironically, these players are probably making a mistake. Only the very best players should be avoiding slightly positive gamles to allow their bigger edges time to accumulate. The typical tournament player should not ever turn down any situation with the smallest of edges. You could even argue that he should gamble in situations where he has slightly the worst of it. But that is not the way the vast majority of mediocre tournament players operate.
    • MackPDaddy
      MackPDaddy
      Bronze
      HI,
      Well I'm glad most would of called as this is what I did,
      UTG+3 & MP+1 folded,, BU had pocket 6's and SB had Ad &10c,
      Flop was 2,A,K, River 7, and the Turn a 6 , then in my next game I was in a SnG with'4 players left raised pot limited with KK got re-raised puting me all-in they had 89 and he hit a 8 on the flop and river, so I took the dog out for an hour before going back to the tables.
      Thanks
      Matt