Bubble play

• LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      I dare you to prove that you can play on the bubble!!

I try to improve my game in the push or fold stage. To do this I usually open up ICM trainer and practice different situations. I play 200 hands with given settings and always try to have at least 95% right which I mostly have very little trouble achieving.
      Today I thought I would practice bubble play. So I set Poker Portal to PokerStars 9 handed, Blind level and Stack size to Random, number of players to 4 and Handrange to 100%, Random Training mode and Position.
      Man is this hard! And I mean like close to impossible kind of hard. I tried this like 10 times already and the best result I've got so far is 88%.
      Can anybody actually get at least the 95% with this setting? Or can everybody make it and I finally found why I suck so bad lately?

Thank you for bragging or whining in this thread. I would really like to know what results can you get...
  • 7 replies
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      hmm i think best training is in the game :) and the better is that u actualy making money :) ... (when u have only 1% of ROI any playing is profit) ...

so my opinion: waste of time :)

even if you hit 100% in your program ... that doesnt means thath you will win every buble play :) you just make more money in 1000xSNG with thath result...more means maybe ROI plus 3-6% i dont know...
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Thanks! You were really quick to answer!

I found out that I cannot really learn by just playing the game. Because when I make certain play I really have no way to verify whether the outcome is actually the most likely one or I just got lucky/unlucky. ( This is kind of a weird sentence but I hope you know what I mean..)
      That is why I try to learn the ranges ICM Trainer teaches (are those the actuall Nash ranges BTW?) and then adjust for my opponents' game just a little bit based on the reads I have..

I haven't been too successful lately, though, so if anyone has different approach I'm also willing to try a new way of learning..

BTW my ROI over the last 300 SNGs is getting dangerously close to the 1% you mentioned..
    • bckdrflush
      bckdrflush
      Bronze
      I like the idea of using ICM trainer with specific settings for bubble play. Even on the full 9max settings I have trouble getting over 95% consistently (I only do about 100 hands)

One thing to watch is the hand ranges - when it shows 0% for the players in front of you -I take it to mean 'sitting out' ;) which sometimes happens. - then push with anything of course.

Have you noticed any type of situation where you are wrong mostly? I noticed that I wasn't pushing enough hands from SB, and sometimes not stealing with weak enough hands on SS from Button. Other than that - mostly close calls, or missed reads on hand ranges get me.

When I play after using ICM trainer, and check later in SnG wizard it looks better than without using ICM trainer. Also, since using the two tools, my BR has increased about 50% (1 month) using conservative BRM.
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      I gave it couple more tries yesterday and actually improved a lot so I think that I found some leaks which is always a good thing.. I was playing too tight as a bigstack and also not stealing enough from the small blind.
      When I first started using ICM trainer and SNG wizard some two months ago I also noticed a huge increase of my bankroll in a really short time. I've lost a lot of money in the first half of August though and have been pretty much breakeven since then..

I would really like it if others would also share with us how they go about learning. As I said I've been running pretty bad lately but I'm still determined to beat this so any help will be appreciated.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

If you are having trouble on certain settings, then just practice like crazy. I'm sure you will be beating it within no time at all.

Originally posted by miskokvo
      so my opinion: waste of time :)
      @miskokvo, You couldn't be any more wrong. Learning ICM will greatly improve your finishing positions. Therefore your roi% will rise, which obviously means we earn more. If you dont think you need to work on ICM play (most important imo), then thats a huge leak in your mental game. I can assure you working on ICM play is very valuable. I myself work on my ICM play for 30 minutes before every session.

GoodLuck,
      Stiev
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      oki im gonna try this...
      (( i studied ICM from charts videos... etc)
    • superkuhl
      superkuhl
      Bronze
      I practiced a lot in ICM a month or so ago but the ranges are not what villains play in real life, so basically on the lower levels we should push even looser than icm. That means pushing any two with 5 or less bb from sb, for example. Another thing about using incorrect ranges is pushing with ax on the button, the trainer suggest but i prefer avoiding it because i always get called either by a pocket pair larger than x or aT+, so the equity decreses. Im not sure if there is a way of modifing the ranges for the trainer, if anyone knows how to please tell since otherwise ill have to buy the license for sngwiz.
      Good luck,