TimoDee's Poker Blog

• TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      Hey Guys,

having read some of the blogs in this session (and enjoy reading most of them) I have decided to start my own too. I'm aware that my blog may not be as interesting as others but I will do my best to keep you checking back for more :P I'm not really a good writer but I feel it's essential for me to write a blog so that I'll take poker in a more professional manner. What I mean by this is mainly following bankroll management which is something, I for the love of Mike Matusow cannot do. Anyways enough of the reasons why I decided to start a blog.....I JUST DID, ok ?! I was bored.

I also thought I'd tell you something about myself, seeing as I haven't got an introduction thread on this forum, before you start reading about my success. I'm an 18year old guy from Swansea, South Wales, UK. Whose adventure with poker has been quite an eventful one, despite my age. I started playing poker when I was a member of a website giving away free stuff (shan't mention it, because I'm pretty sure it's against the rules) where I had to sign up to PrimePoker (not reccomended btw lol) Anyways, having had no previous poker experience I deposited $10 and lost it within 20 minutes due to lack of skill/good bankroll management and God knows what else. Depsite losing the $10 dollars, the game intrigued me. So I started Googling the rules lol (yes I did lose the $10 by playing and not knowing the rules). And that's how my poker career started. This was September 2006.

5 months later I joined Full Tilt because my friend told me about the play money tables she was playing in. After playing on the play money tables for a few weeks I decided to deposit $50. Within 3 hours I was up to $230 (I remember it like it was yesterday - oh good times) And thought I could take on the world.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Fast forward 8 months. And I'm $1300 down due to playing out of my stakes and thinking I could take on Phil Ivey lol (not literally) I started watching videos on poker, reading books (well 2 so far - but I plan to read many more) and getting more hooked by the day.

June 2008 - 3 weeks before my holiday in Magaluf ( :D ). Deposited $50 into Full Tilt, and started things from sratch (for the 6th time I belive)

June 2008 - a week before my holiday in Magaluf ( :D ) Withdrew $340 from Full Tilt, as my spending money lol.

August 2008 - Joint PokerStrategy (which by the way is a great site) - deposited $50 into PokerStars, played every hour under the sun for 5 days. (Managed to get to Gold within 5 days !!!).

Anyway (let's go back to me using normal english grammar). After playing on PokerStars for 5 days and reaching $2000, and then having a losing streak and going back down to $1200 I have decided to withdraw my money and make good use of it.

Which brings me onto next and final point of this rather lengthy post which is: From the money I withdrew I plan to deposit $600 into Full Tilt (to get the full bonus) and then start doing things properly. By this I mean not playing out of my limits (which is the biggest mistake I've been making so far).

I shall keep you updated........Hope you found this quarter as interesting as I've found RhinoNeil's blog :)
  • 9 replies
    • TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      September Short Stack Strategy S.......(can't think of a good word that'd match the atmosphere lol) post your suggestions lol :D

Anyway, I haven't posted in a while because I was still waiting for the money that I withdrew from PokerStars to come through. Anyway here's the plan for the month of September:

I had to change my deposit from $600 to $500 so I can purchase PokerTracker 3, which I believe is vital for anyone who wants to take poker seriously.

With the $500, I will :

Grind out NL50 SSS till I get to 600,
      At the same time, Play FR and maybe SH NL10, to get some variance in too, because SSS can be very boring.
      Most importantly for me, STICK to my BRM, which looks like this:

NL SSS - 30 buyins of 20BB
      NL FR - 30 full buyins
      NL SH - 50 full buyins
      SNG - 50 buyins
      MTT - 100 buyins

What do you guys think about it, too strict, just about right ?

Anyway, here are my goals for this month:

:spade: Develop a full understanding of all the terms like VP$IP etc etc
      :spade: Read all the articles about NL, SNG and Psychology at Bronze, Silver and Gold Level (I've already got some of them printed out)
      :spade: Play 50k hands, multitabling 4-6 (maybe 3 FR BSS and 3 SSS)
      :spade: Post at least 30 hands on the forum
      :spade: Attend 1 SSS coaching, 1 FR BSS coaching, one 1 SH Coaching and one SNG Coaching a week
      :spade: Become an active and respected member of the forums
      :spade: Get laid ;) :) (joke lol) - leave that till next month ;) - got too much on my plate anyway for this month
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello TimoDee,

First of all, good to see you have a blog - as its a good place to remind you of your goals :) Especially if you have problems with BRM - your blog will hopefully help you stick to the BRM (which seems to be good)

As for your goals. I think its very very good that you have non-monetary goals since you can ALWAYS work on achieving those - even while things aren't running as good as you would like them to.

Develop a full understanding of all the terms like VP$IP etc etc

-Very good goal and important for moving up the limits and extracting the maximum value from your opponents.

Read all the articles about NL, SNG and Psychology at Bronze, Silver and Gold Level (I've already got some of them printed out)

- Also very important - so that you have an all around understanding of different concepts and can integrate them into your game.

Play 50k hands, multitabling 4-6 (maybe 3 FR BSS and 3 SSS)

- I would not recommend playing BSS + SSS at the same time. Either play only BSS tables or only SSS tables. As for the amount - start small and move up as you see yourself able to play your A game.

Post at least 30 hands on the forum

Very important goal - posting hands (and evaluating and posting on other peoples hands) is one of the BEST ways to get better. It forces you to actively think about your game. I would suggest downloading the Equilator and using it in evaluations to get a more solid understand of equity.

Attend 1 SSS coaching, 1 FR BSS coaching, one 1 SH Coaching and one SNG Coaching a week

Good idea :)

Become an active and respected member of the forums

Also good idea :) Helping others out once you know more also helps yourself out - since you practice (see hand evaluation board stuff)

Get laid Augenzwinkern smile (joke lol) - leave that till next month Augenzwinkern - got too much on my plate anyway for this month

Never a bad idea :)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      Thanks for your very constructive feedback Soy :) Much appreciated mate, as for playing the BSS and SSS tables at once - any reason behind it. The only reason I'm asking is because, playing SSS and not getting good hands for spells of 5-10 minutes often results me in playing hands I shouldn't really be playing.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TimoDee
      Thanks for your very constructive feedback Soy :) Much appreciated mate, as for playing the BSS and SSS tables at once - any reason behind it. The only reason I'm asking is because, playing SSS and not getting good hands for spells of 5-10 minutes often results me in playing hands I shouldn't really be playing.
      It allows you to concentrate on a specific format. Although the starting hand chart for SSS is quite easy - there is a lot of complexity behind playing SSS. If you look at more advanced SSS material you see that there are a lot of things like steals / re-steals / etc that you need to take into account in order to play successfully. I would therefore suggest to concentrate on either BSS or SSS play - especially during a session.

(Just check out this thread: NL SSS Advanced by xarry2 from some of the more advanced thoughts behind SSS play)

If you have problems with getting "bored" then work on playing more tables of SSS at the same time or on simply trying to perfect your game and discipline. Discipline is extremely important in poker and ranks in importance up there with everything else.

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      EDITED
    • TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      Ok, I'm back on track for good now guys :)

So, today I deposited $500 into Full Tilt, was going to be $600 to get the most out of the bonus but I had some complications (not enough money lol)

It's been quite a successful day for me today, playing mostly SSS at $0.25-$0.50, also taking a few shots at $0.50-$1.00; and playing 4 sit and gos (not cashing in any)

Anyway, I'm up $217 today, and managed to clear my first increment of the $500 bonus. Played for about 7 hours today, in which I have managed to play 1727 hands.

My current stats are: VP: 14.94 (had a run of really good cards), PFR: 9.96, WTSD: 46.89, W$SD: 33.33

My BB/100 is 16.91 !

I realise they may be a littlbe bit too high for SSS but like I said I've had a really decent run of cards.

I've been slacking a little bit when it comes to following my goals, but this will improve.

Future goals:

:spade: Keep this blog updated and keep it a little bit neater
      :spade: Clear the $500 bonus before the end of November
      :spade: Play 20k hands this month
      :spade: Post a few hands in the evaluation forum.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      bump.
    • Darkzzz
      Darkzzz
      Black
      so sick. so sick. u rich bastard :s_biggrin:
    • TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Darkzzz
      so sick. so sick. u rich bastard :s_biggrin:
      hahahahaha,

I will have to revisit this blog when I've caught up with some sleep, so thanks for the bump pleno1 :)

Will also have to think of some new targets but not too crazy, so if you could help me generate some for a poor player who just wants to improve that would be great ! :)