This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Leaking money at showdowns

• SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      Hello,

This is nl20 and some nl25 hands

checked stats and see that my W$SD is not going to 50 long time already.

Flop fold vs cbet is bit high, but last 3600 hands its 42.5, because I was focusing on how to reduce it and did that.

There can be various situations where I can be leaking, for example - calling in wrong spots on rivers, or bluffing unsucesfully or checking till sd.

Can you suggest something how could I quickly fix this leak?

And BTw when I play 28 vpip then maybe wtsd is too high and I cannot win much at showdowns?
  • 10 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey SPeedFANat1c,

I don't really think this is is an issue. Playing 28/25 you should not expect to have the same W$SD as a guy playing 18/15.

What is your showdown bb/100 over this sample and what is your non-showdown bb/100 over this sample?

Btw, the "quick fix" is just to tighten up your preflop range.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      What is your showdown bb/100 over this sample and what is your non-showdown bb/100 over this sample?

filter only nl20 but thats almost same sample.

2.26 eur /100 at sd = 11bb/100

2.57 eur/100 loosing at non showdowns = -13bb/100

Btw, the "quick fix" is just to tighten up your preflop range.

If we look at position opens, then I think other positions are normal, SB is big but that is proably because I have stats how they fold vs SB open and they fold a lot so I open wide. And this makes probablyt my vpip high

I don't really think this is is an issue. Playing 28/25 you should not expect to have the same W$SD as a guy playing 18/15.

And what numbers would be optimal of wtsd/w$sd playing that loose?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      So, your -13bb/100 non-showdown is really on the lower limit. With such a non-showdown line you'd expect to have a showdown line of around 20bb/100.

You mention tightening up with river calls. I don't think this is the problem. Your river call efficiency is over 2 which suggests you are actually calling too tight in a lot of river spots.

Your cbet flop and turn look normal, but again, for a guy playing much tighter. With a wider preflop range you can't expect to profitably defend the same percentage of your range as you would a tighter range. I suspect a lot of aggressive dead-money is going in on flop + turn and then losing at showdown. Cbet flop + turn should potentially be lower to reflect your wider preflop range.

Difficult to say specifically what your W$SD should be. Different for different styles of course. Your current W$SD does not concern me though. It takes a reasonable degree of skill to play with a 10% 3bet and 28% preflop range at these stakes. I would be more concerned about how you are playing specific hands rather than focusing on a single stat.

While potentially profitable there is really no need to play so loose at these stakes. Mainly you can just play thinking-TAG and these guys will donate. You are likely making life difficult for yourself at the moment.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      actually I am not plauing that loose when I filetersd playesr 5-6. There is 32 K hands then and I am havign 26/22

So I become loose when there is lesss players.

When play 4handed I have 36/32 4k hands

3 handed 48/42 1.4k hands

HU 65/59 168 h but I try to avoid HU.

so 26/22 is ok I guess 5-6 players.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Just making a few suggestions.

Obviously I can't tell you exactly what is wrong with your game by looking a few stats. Also bear in mind that sample size is not overly large here. Stats will be affected by variance.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      Stats will be affected by variance.

I tried filtering by groups. From this sample I mean something like 0-10K hands, 10K-20K and so on and in all those groups w$sd is low. Which makes me believe more that its less likely variance and more bad play somewhere.

If its variance - there should be sometimes up, not only downs. Unless there is one big down :)
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      37k is a small sample to begin with. Then there is the fact we are only considering hands that went to showdown, drastically reducing sample size.

Just because your W$SD is below average in all groups doesn't mean it isn't just random coincidence. I could group the exact same data set differently and achieve high W$SD in some groups and low W$SD in another group.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      ok. Usualy when we play - use hud and if player has about 500 hands, we already look at w$sd, so I though 37K is way more than enough :)
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c
      ok. Usualy when we play - use hud and if player has about 500 hands, we already look at w$sd, so I though 37K is way more than enough :)

Yeah, normally it is ok for a rough guide. Besides we are only talking about a few percent here. It's not as if your w$SD is at 20% or something :)

I'm sure you've probably seen with variance sim how winning player can break even over 100k hands. So your W$SD could definitely be off a few percent over 36k. Not saying it's definitely warped by variance, just saying it's a possibility.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      thanks for the answers :)