How do you recover from a very very bad bad?

• flex213
      flex213
      Bronze
      Any tips, I don't usually get too fussed but sometimes you know you get it very badly. Check this i have AA v A-9 , flop comes Ace-9-7. Other player bets i raise, He goes all i have 2 call right? no flush no straight so i had the nuts as far as i could tell. Shows his Ace 9 and i'm pretty happy. Turn comes 9- still dominating. now he can only get 1 card to beat me, and low and behold what the river card is to almost ruin my day. yep a 9 to give him quads over my full..I had to go out to the gym to calm down lol.

AA - A9

ACE-9-7-9-9
  • 12 replies
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Nothing to recover from if u get one such bad beat. Shrug it off, u'll get sucked out on certain days so often u won't even remember them all. Fix it by keeping focus, being happy u played it well and move on to the next hand. Everything else u can't change anymore.
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      you cant do anything about thath... it is poker

my bigest bad beat was in MTT turnament ITM (in the money stages) 20 000k rebuy turnament 5,5$ with 1463 players :)

last 136 players left i had nice stack ... i was 16 of 136 :D ..
      big blind who has little more chips am i he ...was at BB.. ... i oppened pot 2,5BB with my pocket TT flop comes T27.... i was holding nuts...trip TTT and he raised me ... i just call... another card was pretty nice for me 3... no flush no straight drow he moved all in :) i happly call and mansion poker calculeting win odds :) i had 99% he 1% to catching one out :) ang gues what? river came 2 :D

after that day i cant play MTT coz it cost me 6 hours be patient and i won only 60$ (my bankroll was 200$) if i was just folding my place would be like 30-40 and win maybe 198$ .....final table gives me 450$ and firts 3 places was 4500 3000 1800 ..(i cant remember exat numbers)

it took me more then two weeks to forget it :D
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      matt damon beat kgb on that one then.
    • flex213
      flex213
      Bronze
      yeha man thanks, i ended up going to the gym and pumping them weights lol, Now i just find it funny, i guess it happens to everyone once in a while. Lucky my stakes were not too high
    • dealsen
      dealsen
      Bronze
      one bad beat cant get me upset....its harder when it happens several times in a row.my postfloptrips got busted from runner runner flush 3 times in a row today. that seriously sucked! but thats poker :evil:

the best thing to deal with it is to stay calm and concentrate on your best poker :) u'll get ur chips back, sooner or later!
    • flex213
      flex213
      Bronze
      yep had some good runs and i'm up 2 55dollars :D ! i always do well on cash games and got up a bit now. slowly buildin dat bankroll!!
    • Semesa
      Semesa
      Bronze
      play more tables.

when you shove all in on one table, immediately minimize it. open it up again about a minute later. you either won or you didnt, you dont need to know how you lost.
    • Thiemo1981
      Thiemo1981
      Bronze
      I don't know how, but bad beats at least in SNG do not bother me anymore.
      But in MTT sometimes they still do. My nicest beats were losing KK vs. T2s, QQ vs 64s and AA vs KJo and TT each in a 109$ doubledeep freezeout and each got preflop Allin and each took me out of the tourney at the bubble or just itm in three following days. That's just too fucked up ;)
      To be seriously, i think it's important to have other things to do than poker, which make fun like sports, music, friends, reading, cooking or whatever. Having a nice living is the best guard against tilting and helps you a lot beating bad beats :)
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Bad beats don't get to me that much.
      Missing virtually all flops and seeing all cbets when I miss raised and when I got something folded gets to me much and much harder. Always makes me feel so powerless and doubt my game for some reason.
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      try singing, it def. helps me (not my neighbours, but what the heck... theyll get used to it, it def. beats screaming or slamming stuff, right?)
    • mafaz
      mafaz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SonicXT
      Missing virtually all flops and seeing all cbets when I miss raised and when I got something folded gets to me much and much harder. Always makes me feel so powerless and doubt my game for some reason.
      same here...i hate that...
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mafaz
      Originally posted by SonicXT
      same here...i hate that...
      That's so true, but it's also part of the game.

I just have a bottle of cold water by me... it really helps cooling me down after a bad beat :D
      Sometimes standing up and stretching my legs help too, I think it's easier to tilt if you're sitting on your chair for too long and you start feeling tired.

Of course, you can always pretend you're Phil Ivey and move on to the next hand. :P

This was not a tournament hand, but one of the last beats I took.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP1 ($100)
      MP2 ($16.40)
      Hero (MP3) ($111.85)
      CO ($161.25)
      Button ($139)
      SB ($51.40)
      BB ($101.80)
      UTG ($177.50)
      UTG+1 ($73.05)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q Q
      2 folds, MP2 calls $1, Hero raises to $5, 2 folds, SB calls $4.50, 2 folds

Flop: ($12) 9 Q 9 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $6, SB calls $6

Turn: ($24) 8 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $15, SB calls $15

River: ($54) 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $25.40 (All-In), Hero calls $25.40

Total pot: $104.80 | Rake: $3

Results below:
      SB had 9 9 (four of a kind, nines).
      Hero had Q Q (full house, Queens over nines).
      Outcome: SB won $101.80

And I was worried about getting him all-in by the river. :P