Taking the Highway to Highstakes

• jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Note to readers: This blog is primarily for my own personal use, but without you guys(and girls) to help keep me on track and helping out, this would be much more insurmountable task, so thankyou to all the readers, and please dont be afraid to ask any question you want, this is more of an open journal than a blog it doesnt just have to be about poker!

I've been a regular user of pokerstrategy since I registered back in 2008, it took me about 6months of being a freeroller /busting the free $50 before I became a winning player. Since then i've been using poker winnings as a means to an end; paying for much needed equipment, living expenses, lots of partying and some great holidays.

I've had a number of small projects that I openly completed on pokerstrategy, here are the links so you can get more of an idea of what i've been up to.

poker lockdown - lockdown
      poker lockdown 2 - goal setting for a lazy poker pro
      nl200 50k hand stake - 50k hands nl200 headsup rail thread
      Nl600-1k 3 month stake - 3 month 600-1knl stake

Now I feel its time to start taking it up a notch and really start building a big fat bankroll and holding myself accountable infront of lots of readers seems like the perfect way to do it. Please note this blog is first going to be a 30 day trial, If I like the way it goes I will continue with regular
      updates.

My poker plans for the forseeable future are the following:

Short term:
      Play 1k+ hands per day headsup nl for 30 days
      play 2k+ hands every Friday headsup nl next 5 weeks
      blog thoughts/ feelings each day for the next 30 days

Mid term:
      Be Properly bankrolled for nl1k headsup ($30k)
      Increase bankroll to $100k

Long term:
      learn Plo, see if I can just learn headsup (probably get coaching to fastrack progess)
      Add plo headsup to the grind
      make plo main game

Right now I only have a roll for 100nl but I will probably apply for another stake on some sites to play nl100-1k. First i need to get hold of my biggest % backer of whom i still have money from an earlier stake and see if he'd still be interested. Then I will open a formal application on pokerstrategy. Until then I will be playing nl100/50.

As stated earlier I plan to use this blog as more of an open journal, so obviously my life isnt just poker and I have a number of goals outside of it.
      The ones I am tracking over the next 30 days are learning spanish, learning basic programming languages, Strength training and posting whenever I have a junk meal rather than healthy ones.

Short term:
      hit 100 duolingo points per day + 1 pimsleur audio
      1hour per day of code academy
      Convict conditioning workout each tuesday + Friday
      Eat 4 Meals a day with 70%+ being healthy

Mid term:
      Be able to hold basic conversation with girlfirends spanish family rather than singular words and pointing (LOL)
      Open my own website, look at ways I can get decent traffic flowing on it
      reach the next stage of convict conditioning so i can add learning handstand pushups and bridges
      hit a healthy BMI (currently massively underweight)

Longterm:
      Fluent spanish
      Have my own high traffic website
      be able to do 1hand prison pushup, 1 arm pullup, 1 leg squat for reps and Handstand pushup
      Look lean + mean

If all goes to plan I'll reward myself with a trip to Spain first a week at the spanish beach de los atunes Zahara, then onto a big spanish music festival arenal sounds.
  • 24 replies
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Subscribed sir, good luck.

I started HU myself btw :D
    • StaticMoth
      StaticMoth
      Silver
      +1, I feel epicness in the air ...

• jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Day 1

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

poker wise played a couple of really bad players but nothing extra special for nl100/50. stopped dead on at hand 1000 as i was playing 50nl and wasnt in the mood to continue.

Should be staked for up to nl1k by the end of the month also which should mean much more fun graphs :s_biggrin:

Good day all round, managed to refresh myself with Spanish and coding with javascript ( by refresh i mean re-rembering very basic stuff :P )

Only problem is i'm finishing late which means little time to relax, i've got some thoughts for tomorrow on how to improve my efficiency. Doing my duolingo whilst waiting for action / cooking, we'll see how that works out tomorrow.
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Day 2

pokerwise same as yesterday played some awful players but nothing special that isnt normal for nl100/50.

Tomorrow is friday and will be my big grind day of the week, I forgot to mention that for obvious reasons i wont be studying spanish or coding on this day as theres pretty much no time for it.

Today was another refresher day for me both in spanish and coding im currently learning javascript on code academy learning how to make Objects and some pretty basic games, such as rock paper scissors.

eating wise is going pretty well im currently 8/8 for healthy meals. Although tomorrow i doubt i'll look to keep that record, dont think i'm ready to resist the Friday night binge anytime soon :f_p:
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Day 3

Was long day dont really find any joy playing nl50/100 got really bored by hand 1500 onwards might have affected my play somewhat...

Other than that Managed just 1 junk meal of a bacon cheeseburger and chips and put in good pb's on my strength training.

funny hand for today...

had a guy that wasnt folding pre unless i open jammed

$0.50/$1 No Limit Holdem
      PKR
      2 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      BTN Bevanrules14 ($177.71) 178bb
      BB ejkafsg ($100) 100bb

Pre-Flop: ($1.50, 2 players) ejkafsg is BB 10:spade: 10:club:
      Bevanrules14 calls $0.50, ejkafsg raises to $12, Bevanrules14 calls $11

Flop: 9:club: 6:diamond: 5:spade: ($24, 2 players)
      ejkafsg bets $18, Bevanrules14 calls $18, ejkafsg goes all-in $70, Bevanrules14 calls $52

Turn: 5:diamond: ($60, 2 players, 1 all-in)

River: K:spade: ($182, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: $182
      ejkafsg shows
      10:spade: 10:club:
      Bevanrules14 shows
      Q:heart: 9:spade:

ejkafsg wins $199.50 (net +$117.50)

Bevanrules14 lost $82
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Day 4

Another standard day had some extra special donators today though.

1/1 No Limit Holdem
      FullTiltPoker
      2 Players

Stacks:
      SB toptunok (311) 311bb
      BB ejkafsg (200) 200bb

Blinds: 1/1

Pre-Flop: (2, 2 players) ejkafsg is BB 8:club: 8:spade:
      toptunok raises to 2, ejkafsg raises to 7, toptunok raises to 12, ejkafsg goes all-in 200, toptunok calls 188

Flop: 5:diamond: 2:spade: 5:heart: (400, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: 7:club: (400, 2 players, 1 all-in)

River: 9:heart: (400, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: 400
      ejkafsg shows two pair, Eights and Fives
      8:club: 8:spade:
      toptunok shows two pair, Sevens and Fives
      7:spade: 4:spade:

ejkafsg wins 400 (net +200)

toptunok lost 200

Nice to get some bingo players once in a while shame i didnt get it all before he quit but o well...

productive day all round Although i did pull a muscle in my back from sneezing of all things! Hope its ok for tomorrow i gotsta get some food for the next week...

One thing i do miss now i'm eating healthy is cereal, maybe i'll have that as a mini treat tomorrow or get some all bran or smt then i can still have it!

• DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jmackenzie

Be able to hold basic conversation with girlfirends spanish family rather than singular words and pointing (LOL)
      I lolled :f_biggrin:

GL man! Will follow this.
    • BrokesoBroke
      BrokesoBroke
      Black
      I've followed your last two stakings... True pro! ;) Keep up the good work... If you don't mind I'll add you as friend...
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Day 5

Slow start to today ended up goin out to a house part last night, only knew one person there was a interesting crowd mainly Brighton hipsters wasn't really my scene which might be why i drank soo much :P .

Still got everything done today. But I had 2 junk meals, and my last meal of yesterday was skipped, (alchohol was consumed instead). so i've had 4 bad meals the past 5 days still better than my 70% target so can only be happy.

Im knackered going for some quality sleep!

Edit: back is still hurting pretty bad(i've just pulled 1 muscle) hope itl be ok for tomorrow and my strength training. If not i'll do 20 mins on the exercise bike as i checked it doesnt hurt doing that, then i wont feel so bad :f_cool:
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Subscribed! :f_cool: Gd luck!

Edit: back is still hurting pretty bad(i've just pulled 1 muscle) hope itl be ok for tomorrow and my strength training. If not i'll do 20 mins on the exercise bike as i checked it doesnt hurt doing that, then i wont feel so bad :f_cool:
      Def skip the excercise in this case... Your back needs some extra rest (at least), so you can only make it worse (= much worse), if you try to get through pain. Goals setting mastery is based on how quickly and effectively you can alter them if necessary, not by sticking to them no matter what.
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Originally posted by jmackenzie Edit: back is still hurting pretty bad(i've just pulled 1 muscle) hope itl be ok for tomorrow and my strength training. If not i'll do 20 mins on the exercise bike as i checked it doesnt hurt doing that, then i wont feel so bad

Def skip the excercise in this case... Your back needs some extra rest (at least), so you can only make it worse (= much worse), if you try to get through pain. Goals setting mastery is based on how quickly and effectively you can alter them if necessary, not by sticking to them no matter what.

Turns out i got the days mixed up thought it was tuesday today when i went to sleep so i've had an extra day, my back feels alot better i'll try to do my cc tomorrow and see what happens...

Day 6

Got owned pretty hard today think I made a number of mistakes and wasnt concentrating enough in the small pots either. That being said I still think I was in a hugely profitable spot .

Probably the biggest mistake of the day was this Hand at the anon tables on ipoker, there was not enough hands played to realise his agression and although he was active in each of the <20 hands beforehand I have to remember that he still has big draws as part of his range.

$0.50/$1 No Limit Holdem
      iPoker
      2 Players

Stacks:
      SB Player1 ($121.60) 122bb
      BB ejkafsg ($103.60) 104bb

Pre-Flop: ($1.50, 2 players) ejkafsg is BB 10:club: 7:heart:
      Player1 raises to $2, ejkafsg calls $1

Flop: J:spade: Q:diamond: 3:diamond: ($3.50, 2 players)
      ejkafsg checks, Player1 checks

Turn: K:diamond: ($3.50, 2 players)
      ejkafsg bets $3, Player1 raises to $10.80, ejkafsg raises to $28, Player1 calls $17.20

River: 3:spade: ($59.50, 2 players)
      ejkafsg bets $73.60, Player1 calls $73.60

Final Pot: $206.70
      Player1 shows
      4:diamond: 10:diamond:
      ejkafsg shows
      10:club: 7:heart:

Player1 wins $206.20 (net +$102.60)

ejkafsg lost $104.60

Also if i did decide that he has the Ad or worse then i should bet smaller on the river theres no need to put the whole stack in...

Other than poker today was good finally hit the top of my personal leaderboard for duolingo :f_p:

So if anyone does duo lingo and has a bigger score let me add them and i'll race ya :P
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Day 7

Another semi decent day with lots of easy competition. Had a few spots where i jus couldnt believe how light my opponents were stacking off, I'd find them but im very tired.

Did my exercise today did some bent over rows and leg raises made decent gains in reps on both since last week so its nice to see some improvement.

I'm also starting to get to grips with programming i started with java script and have been learning to make simple text based games. I hope to start making a very basic form of blackjack game within the next week Lets see how that goes!

Had 2 unhealthy meals today Chicken and chips and a coronation chicken wrap and crisps. Still on track with my 70% healthy meals so not too upset.

Night all
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Day 8

Today was long.

Managed to lose my wallet but seeing as i've hardly left the house since the day before i thought i must've left it lying around somewhere.

I spent till 10pm turning my house upside down looking for it but am now resigned to the fact i might not see it again. I had about 300 GBP and 100 Euros along with all my bank cards.

Its a loss but really it shouldn't hit me too hard. So after that i spent an hour or so on the phone with the banks cancelling an ordering new bank cards.

Leaving me not much time to do alot.

I decided to leave learning Spanish and coding for another day but thought there was still enough time to get some poker volume in.

Was a highly frustrating session. The level of play was a sight to behold but i didnt end with much of a profit.

Tomorrow is another day and for the week im still up nice amounts.

That's how winning is done!
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Sub'd. Best of luck!
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Other than poker today was good finally hit the top of my personal leaderboard for duolingo :f_p:

So if anyone does duo lingo and has a bigger score let me add them and i'll race ya :P
      Oh look, it's me! :f_biggrin:
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Day 9

Was a slightly frustrating end to an other wise good session, but still it ended as a positive so I can be happy about that atleast.

The stake should be ready to start in the next few days so i'm looking forward to that.

Im hoping that with the decent volume i've started to bring in i can make everyone involved lots of dollars.

I managed to eat 3/4 healthy dinners ended the day with some fried chicken and chips...

On a side note its been a week of eating about 300+ calories of my supposed base metabolic rate and i've yet to see any change in weight. At what point should i start to look to increase calories 2 weeks 3 weeks? a month+?
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Day 10

[img][IMG]https://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5974/8mp.png[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Lots of fish lots of ownage good day all round.

Did my exercise today with a pre workout drink that shit almost gave me a heart attack dont feel like doing that again anytime soon lol i never have caffene so might be why...
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Day 11

It was a really difficult day today i may have to organise moving house the only problem is I have no idea where i'm going to.

Pokerwise i still got some small volume in

Half my usually daily amount.

I also did an hour of coding but had no time for spanish today.

Worst hit to my goals so far. I hope i can turn it around asap.
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Day 12

Today the stake poker wise it was a no go as i was exchanging the correct amount of money to start the stake with.

From now the graphs will have a mixture of 100nl hands played exclusively for my profit on partypoker, 888 and ipoker whilst on pokerstars fulltilt and pkr i will be playing nl100-nl1k staked.

The aim is still 1k hands per day and 2k hands per day on fridays.

Other than that i spent the day watching the new poker doc betraise fold. It was very american based and i only like 1 of the main people they focused on the woman grinder. so i spent the time being annoyed at how I am as a poker player represented to the world, (like a cocky arrogant kid.)