• Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      sngs.. they are the easiest to understand and profit on as a beginner
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey inoimbluffingdou,

It's such a personal choice that it is hard to convince anyone either way. I would suggest trying maybe a week of SNGs and then a week of NL Cash and see which one you enjoy the most. After that at least you can make an informed decision :)

Regards,
      Gary.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey inoimbluffingduo

What Gary said tbh.

I started with SnG's but failed. Once I got into cashgames I realised I prefer cash games. Thing is you have to play something that you really like. If you don't like you won't be able to study for it either.

Regards

RasTweet
    • inoimbluffingdou
      inoimbluffingdou
      Basic
      Thanks for the tips, I have spent some time on sng's so it's time to give the cash games a go!
    • acephalia
      acephalia
      Bronze
      I am relatively a new player myself. I started out with cash games, mixing in sngs and 50/50 sngs here and there, as well as some freeroll tournies. I play on the lowest stakes possible for cash games(1c/2c) due to my bank roll. And for SitnGos, it depends on what my bank roll is at. I try to use strict BRM.

From my beginner experience, it is as the others said, you will want to play whichever you enjoy more, so try both. Personally i feel that cash games take a bit more tactics as people will play a lot more mind games and gamble. I found that I enjoy sitngos and tournaments over cash games.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Keep us updated then!

Maybe you could start a blog?
    • c0wking
      c0wking
      Bronze
      I would never recommend SNGs to a new player.

High (read: ridiculous) variance. You can put your chips in with the best of it and still be a losing player after 500 games easily. If you play six tables/h, that's 83 hours of playtime. When you're 20BI down in one day as a new player, it can tilt you or make you question your playing style (even if you did everything right), when in reality it all hinges on luck. You're simply forced to make too many coinflips in SNGs (like shoving on the button with a pair of sixes with 10BB while blinds are 100/200, get called by AJ and lose).

Smaller profit margins.

Multi-tabling gets harder than cash games in later stages due to fewer players (if you want to play something like 8+ tables).

There really is no contest to multi-tabling NL2 full ring cash games for someone just starting online poker because there are so many fish. You can easily maintain a 1-1.5$/h win rate when you learn to play 10+ tables which beats equal SNGs by a mile. While playing 10+ tables might sound daunting, after you've played enough 10 tables of full ring will seem relatively 'boring' if you're playing TAG.

Just read the basic/bronze articles in the strategy section and they will explain everything you need to crush NL2.
    • Acespeci
      Acespeci
      Bronze
      Originally posted by c0wking
      I would never recommend SNGs to a new player.

I agree.

SNG has a low return on investment (ROI). You will have to get 1st place very often not to break even.

I would recommend DONs (Double or nothing SNG) if you are just starting out way less variance and the top 5 get double their buy-in. You can just wait until everybody knock everybody out at the Micros or run down your time so the blinds change after it hit you. Its easy to build a Bankroll.

After you boost your bankroll with DONs you can play SSS (short stack strategy) cash games. you enter the table with 20-30 big blinds instead of 100 big blinds. So if your playing NL2 you will enter the table with $0.60 instead of $2. You can read the articles on SSS
    • Acespeci
      Acespeci
      Bronze
      If your just starting out its best to play freerolls if you havent already :D

You can register on to other poker sites that have Bankroll Booster Freerolls with less traffic or you can play the pokerstrategy freeroll if your poker account is tracked
    • ShreddedLettuce
      ShreddedLettuce
      Bronze
      Originally posted by inoimbluffingdou
      Where would you suggest a beginner start? SNGs? Or 2c/4c tables and grind?
      Play the "regional" freerolls held daily on Full Tilt.
      Stick to to the basics.
      Play solid.
      Primary objective is to finish in the money ( which, is usually the same amount for most placings up to 2nd and 1st ).

You should be able to cash at least 60-70 percent of the time without any outlay.
      Add this up over a few weeks and you will not only have a growing bankroll, but your confidence will grow and your game will get stronger.

And these tourneys are not long ( you are in the money around the 2-3 hour mark ), and the incentive is to cash, that is all.

I continue to play them at every opportunity, because I've built my BR on these "regional" freerolls and just wanted to share that with you.
    • BULLIONN
      BULLIONN
      Basic
      I have just started playing the new to game SNGs and I win a lot more than I lose. I just wondered if there would be any conflicts with a regular winner?

Thanks

Regards

Shaun
    • ShreddedLettuce
      ShreddedLettuce
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BULLIONN
      I have just started playing the new to game SNGs and I win a lot more than I lose. I just wondered if there would be any conflicts with a regular winner?

Thanks

Regards

Shaun
      I don't understand what you are asking.
      Could you elaborate a bit?
      (remember NewToGame is limited to 2000 hands(i think), so a "reg" can't participate in them)....maybe that is what you wanted to know.
    • coolpokername
      coolpokername
      Bronze
      I disagree about the freerolls. Every tom, dick, and harry who is afraid to deposit real money plays them. If you think the variance is to high for beginners in SnG's then stay away from the freerolls. I love the DoN's and have built a good bankrool with them. Try them
    • Slicer450
      Slicer450
      Bronze
      These are the freerolls that SL was referring to.
      In my region the payouts are the same for 18th-3rd = $2.
      Cash at least 65% of the time.
      There's no incentive to go for first, and this built my BR so I'm sharing the info.

The regional ones, not the general freerolls.

• BULLIONN
      BULLIONN
      Basic
      Does the poker site allow you to cash in even if you win every day?

I just want to be sure that there is not a catch ;)

thanks

Shaun
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I see you're both still basic so must still be having some trouble, not good!

First time, as many have said it's personal preference to what you play, I like to play Cash tables myself. You can start playing the $0.01/$0.02 games to learn and even if you make a lot of mistakes it'll only cost you a few $ to learn!

SnG/MTT's also have the blinds increasing which will change the dynamics of the game too, so it may be best to learn the basic in a micro cash game. Once you've got that sorted out then you can explore the other variants and see which you love the most :]

I also see you're looking at playing some Freerolls, here is a link to the freeroll we're currently hosting PokerStrategy Freerolls. Win a few of them and you're well on your way to being a millionaire ;)

Be sure to check out the Special: $10,000 Depositor Freerolls too. Amazing value for money there!

Regarrding this, I think you mean if you was to continue winning free $ through Freerolls, are you allowed to keep it? Yes! It's all yours, you can win every single one if you wish.
      As for cashing the money out, you'd need to check with the poker room itself, some may allow it no problem whereas others will only allow you to withdraw to a bank account that you've previously deposited with.

Don't forget that we're here to help you in any way we can, so be sure to ask EVERYTHING!

Best of luck on the tables :f_cool:
    • ShreddedLettuce
      ShreddedLettuce
      Bronze
      Regarrding this, I think you mean if you was to continue winning free $ through Freerolls, are you allowed to keep it? Yes! It's all yours, you can win every single one if you wish.
      ^^ This

But use these easy opportunities to build your BR rather than thinking of cashing out.

Worked for me.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Wow -- lots of good stuff in this thread.

I'm also going to come out in favour of cash games vs SnGs

In cash games you rarely are risking everything on a single hand.

In SnGs if you get down to the push/fold stage, you are risking the entire tournament on every hand you play.

Cash games also allow for easier time management -- you can come and go as you please. Once you start an SnG you are in it for the duration -- or you give up your BI for nothing.

As a raw beginner, I would stay away from zoom, too. The action is too fast -- as a beginner most decisions won't be automatic yet. You need time to think. So regular tables, and not too many of them. To tell if it is too many, count how often you time out. Once in a while is normal, but if it happens more than a few times in a session, consider playing fewer tables.

I also played a lot of freerolls as a beginner.
      If you play sound poker you can build a bankroll with them. It's not easy -- or fast -- but it can be done. It is also a good way to practice estimating ranges, and so on.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • ariolis30
      ariolis30
      Basic
      i think most start at SNGs i dont know if thats optimal but it will give you a chance to learn the game easily imo