Biggest pokerstrategy community?

• mute20
      mute20
      Bronze
      Just visited the german site and am impressed by how much larger it is than the english site. Would be interesting to know which language this site started out on and when some of the other languages where added.
  • 15 replies
    • kyaia
      kyaia
      Bronze
      Pretty sure portuguese/brazilian community has a lot of members/activity since it's two "countries" together.
    • mute20
      mute20
      Bronze
      Did a bit of investigation of my own and found that russia probably has the most. They have about 30-40 coaching a week and the forum is just packed. Second is german than all the other languages are similar to pretty low/new.
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      Do you know which community started out first? I think I read somewhere it was the German community
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Morning guys!

I'll ask our Gibraltar staff for some fun facts about our history! I would guess DE or RU are the biggest (maybe RU shades it)

Best regards,
      Gary
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kyaia
      Pretty sure portuguese/brazilian community has a lot of members/activity since it's two "countries" together.
      Why the quotation marks for countries? :tongue:

If that's the criterium, wouldn't Spanish be the largest community since it's many countries together? :f_biggrin:

Incluye: Argentina , Chile , Colombia , España , México , Perú , Uruguay , Venezuela , Global
      j/k obv.
    • FatSunny
      FatSunny
      Bronze
      How do you even look at the other sites? Does google translate it? Can we access any extra content through our statuses here?

Thanks
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FatSunny
      How do you even look at the other sites? Does google translate it? Can we access any extra content through our statuses here?

Thanks
      Yes, google translate does work for texts. And yes, there is often quite a bit of content, especially more basic videos, that are available in one language but not in another.

As I've noticed (I might be wrong) that there is less difference in terms of articles and such. Forum posts and nice threads/blogs vary wildly of course. There are some really golden threads in other communities. And when it comes to videos there is also a big difference because usually only the more advanced ones are translated into English (and other languages) from the original. And even so, not so many.

Which was the last video from the Portuguese community that you've seen? There are tons of really good ones. We have a pretty good micro-to-low stakes shorthanded cash coach who regularly produces very good material. Last one I translated was a diamond video back in 2011.

I myself try to watch most videos in English, Portuguese and Spanish. I've seen a couple in Italian as well, good stuff. But unfortunately Google translate can't help there :f_biggrin: Nevertheless, it's a good way to practice a language (and learn poker in the mean time), because the language is of course more simple than a daily conversation, and many of the terms are kept in English and are somewhat standardized.
    • FatSunny
      FatSunny
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply dude but how do i actually look at the other language sites, sorry if that a daft question!!
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      If you mean how to get to them, there's a dropdown box at the top of the page. But I think you already knew that! :)

If you have Google Chrome as your web browser, I believe that has a built-in function to translate web pages as you visit them. If you're using Firefox instead, there's an add-on for that as well.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-translator-for-firefox/

If you're using Internet Explorer... Just use Firefox or Chrome :f_biggrin:
    • FatSunny
      FatSunny
      Bronze
      Tino of course I knew that ;)

(Thanks)
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FatSunny
      Tino of course I knew that ;)

(Thanks)
      :D

No problem :)
    • probook4510s
      probook4510s
      Bronze
      I think that RU is the biggest community, to which I belong :s_cool:
    • Krupsinator
      Krupsinator
      Sorry for bumping this after two weeks but some facts I can share about the PokerStrategy.com past and present:

The first community was the German community. The company started in 2007 (before that it was just a small German poker forum) and expanded quite quickly into 18-19 languages. I believe 2007 was also the point where they started with offices in Gibraltar, not totally sure though.

The by far biggest communities today are the Russian community and the German community (RU a bit bigger than DE). The English community is one of the "medium" communities just like e.g. the Polish and the Spanish community.

PokerStrategy.com is in most markets the biggest poker community/forum (EN is an exception), in some markets there is even no real competitor from a forum traffic point of view (e.g. in DE).

All in all it is just fascinating how a multi milion dollar company rises within some years just because there was "some guy" (Korn) playing Starcraft, then switched to poker and recognized that he can also teach people how to play and get a small revenue share when affiliating them to a poker room.

In my opinion one of the craziest stories in the internet, just like Google or Facebook :D

You can also see some information about the history of PokerStrategy.com in our job section.
    • martinstids
      martinstids
      Bronze
      I think english community have MUCH more countries involved.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by martinstids
      I think english community have MUCH more countries involved.
      True. The English community has members from all over the world, and is therefore certainly the community with the largest amount of different nationalities.