[NL2-NL10] NL5 Defending BB w AJo

• ThiRdEyE7
      ThiRdEyE7
      Bronze
      Titan Poker Hollywood 0.02/0.04, hand converted by the iPoker Converter at Talking-Poker

Button Button ($1.72)

29 - 0 7
      BU: $1.72
      0.5 0 40 14

BB Hero ($3.03)

Preflop: Hero is in the BB with J:spade: A:diamond:
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls 0.04, 4 folds, Button raises to 0.16, 1 fold, Hero calls 0.12, 1 fold.

assumed bu was stealing so flat call planning to take it down on flop/turn
      rather than face possible re-raise and have to fold

Flop (0.38) 8:diamond: 5:spade: T:heart:
      Hero bets 0.24, Button calls 0.24.

surprised by this call but assume he is floating
      outside chance he hit the t

Turn (0.86) Q:spade:
      Hero checks, Button bets 0.43, Hero???

this bet starts some alarm bells
      i assume he must have a decent hand involving a t or q
      or slow played overpair/set or has picked up flush draw
      That said, i have showed weakness here by checking and not sure whether or not i believe him...
      Only 14 hands but stats show raised pre flop 50% of them (lag) despite passive 0.5 AF, 0% w$sd, 40% wts (loose passive?)

What would you do here?
  • 1 reply
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Hi ThiRdEyE7,

I'd fold PF.
      There's really no big need to defend the blinds on NL5 and there's a limper UTG+1, by just calling you allow the UTG+1 limper to call along getting pretty good odds and you'll be OOP for the rest of the hand.
      But if you really think you must defend your blind then go ahead and stick a raise there, try to take the pot down PF, or at least do your best to go HU with initiative on the hand.
      Trying to get fancy only works against thinking players, most players on NL5 are not thinking, so just play straight forward and you'll do fine.

Flop is OK, after all that's why you entered the hand, to take a stab at it and try to take it down. The texture is good so go ahead and bet.

Turn you got yourself a OESD, he's offering you good odds, so I'd call.