This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Hand Ranges for Each Position

• 8 replies
    • adasko99
      adasko99
      Bronze
      for what type of SnGs ?
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      6 max turbos
    • adasko99
      adasko99
      Bronze
      hm, I'm not too sure about 6max turbo, but in normal 6max you can open from EP hands like: 22+ or 98s+

about suited aces:
      Did you know that A5s , A4s, A3s, A2s and A2s are all stronger then A6s and A7s?

I would not open them from EP anyway. A9s , ATo would probably be the bottom of my range

I would also probably bin KJo and QJo from EP raise
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, maythany!

It is really, really hard to say what is the optimal hand range. It depends on so many things-who's behind, who's in the blinds, how many eff. blinds does the table have on average, how many players are left, etc. etc.

For the first blind level-say we are deep, 1500 chips, bbt20, I will raise any pair from UTG, together with AJ+, maybe ATs and prolly KQs. If I have fishes in the blinds, then I will extend my range adding hands like 89s, JTs, 78s, KQo, KJs too because I know those fishes are gonna play a big number of hands and I love to play playable hands vs fish IP when we re deep.

However, if u make it a habit to open a wide range from UTG, say 20%, you become so easily exploitable by decent regs who are just gonna 3bet you IP with such a wide range and you can't do much....I mean, you can adjust by 4betting lighter- if you have strong reads, but that's gonna take time and most of the time you will end up raise/folding or raise/calling OOP in a 3bet pot vs a good player-which sucks. Also, I guess you play low limits, often you are gonna see people flatting your raises-so u will play OOP at the end of the day and once again-this is not fun.

With HJ-CO-BTN, you can play with the ranges a lot depending on the blinds and who's to act behind you. 6-max doesn't have fixed range like 9-max, that's the beauty of it. There is much more room for creativity.
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Thank you Kurrkabin! Always insightful information :) .

adasko99: I did not know a2s-a5s are all stronger than a6s and a7s! That's probably because we are more likely to make straight draws with a2s-a5s than a6s and a7s?
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      A5s-A2s is not stronger than A6s-A7s, it only has higher equity vs a strong calling range which makes it a good hand to bluff raise all in pre (blocker and equity). Against a random hand A6-A7s is better than A5-A2s, and vs each other obviously you want A7s in A7s v A5s all in pre etc.
    • adasko99
      adasko99
      Bronze
      Originally posted by maythany
      That's probably because we are more likely to make straight draws with a2s-a5s than a6s and a7s?
      that's exactly why :)

and like metza wrote: I meant A5s is better then A7s vs most ranges, not vs each other :P
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Insightful stuffs :) thanks guys!