UK Poker Player

• ormes21

Been playing poker for almost ten years now. Just for fun really.

My live game is much better than playing online. I am in profit playing live (only at the local pub ha) but online is a whole different story.

Over the past 6 months my game has taken a bad run. After playing NLH forever me and my friends decided to introduce "dealers choice" to our social poker nights for a laugh. Whoever deals can choose to play omaha, texas hold’em, five card draw, low ball and 7 card stud.

It's quite fun and different after playing NLH forever. Also none of us played these games previously so as you can imagine, whole new learning curve and everyone playing like fish.

Anyway as a result of playing these games I have turned into a loose player and it's affecting my NLH game. The large range of hands I play in NLH tournaments has become ridiculous and I am looking to fix that.

Also since we started playing PLO it's something I would like to learn and get better at.

I actually signed up because I was reading some PLO threads by Ribbo and I would like to learn how to become a better player.

Looking forward to learning and reading the content on this forum.

• 3 replies
    • ormes21
      Are there any recommended posts to read?

I have been reading some blogs on here and it's amazing seeing the progress that has been made by some people.

I also noted where I have been going wrong. I buy in at poker sites with $25 and go straight to .10/.25 cash tables. If I ever get it over $100 I would try to move up to .50/1 LOL.

So I guess the main aim I have at the moment is to learn how to manage my bankroll.

According to what I have read so far I should be playing on 0.01/0.02 tables! Oops.

Well I am going to buy-in on pokerstars now and get started on the micro tables and have a go at it.

Question..Can anyone recommend poker tracking software for MAC?

• ShaQQ
      Correct me if I'm wrong I know HEM doesn't have a mac version, but I use Parallels (virtual machine), some free ones around too n' install it on that, hope it helps :) Paul
    • ThatGuyMatt
      Hey ormes21,

Sorry for the late reply here :(

But a big welcome to the community! I hope you enjoy your stay.

There are indeed some amazing blogs to read, some huge success storys in there too. Perhaps you'd like to create one, you must have an interesting story to tell us after playing for 10 years!

Oh dear! Seems you've overlooked Bankroll Management a little there :P It does seem like you understand the concept of a Bankroll now though, so I won't go into that unless you would like me to.

The $0.01/$0.02 (NL2) Cash games are a great place to start playing, even if you've been playing live for so long, online can be so much different. If you do make a mistake, it's only a few $ at the micro limits and hopefully you'll not do it again. It may seem like you're playing for small amounts but you only need to win a few Buyins a day and you'll be jumping the levels in no time at all.

As for tracking software, I do believe that PokerTracker is MAC friendly, you can download the Free 30 Day Trail through us here - Try Pokertracker 4. If you do like the product then PokerStrategy Members get a 10% discount too.

Lastly, I see you're still a Basic member, if you wan't to see more of our Articles, Videos, Coaching and Forums you'll need to bump that up to at least a Bronze Status (Click here to read about Status Points). If you sign up to PokerStars through our Guide this will ensure that you'll get Status Points whilst playing there :)

If there's anything you need help with, anything at all, give us a shout.

Best of luck on the tables!