hey i'm rob, listen to this sick beat!

• horshamrob
      horshamrob
      Bronze
      hey guys

hope we are all well. anyway my names rob and i'm from horsham in the uk. i've been playing for about 18months live and have only just moved into the online side of poker seriously.

just had a sick beat on the full tilt $1 (1'000 guaratee) tournament. managed to make the last 18 with 26'000 with the blinds creeping up to 1'500/3'000 and i hit AA on my BB. the large stack at the table who had been bullying for a while raises to 8'000 which i flat call. flop comes down

KD 8S 4C

i check, he raises another 8'000 which i then re-raise All-in. by this point i have actually almost let him know that i have AK or better yet he calls and turns over KC JS. well you all know whats coming next. hits runner runner to send me crashing out. and i'm still angry about it.

please comment how i played the hand because i don't feel i did much wrong. it's just he was a pure amateur who didn't know how to lay down a hand!
  • 6 replies
    • Snodreliss
      Snodreliss
      Silver
      Re-raise all-in preflop.
    • horshamrob
      horshamrob
      Bronze
      i don't think he would have called though and was really looking to cash in...was almost defo looking at top 3 in the final standings
    • RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      well if he wouldn't call your all in preflop you wouldnt lose.
    • TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      I think everyone in the poker community knows and hates this saying: "With AA you either win a small pot or lose a big one" you've just gotta get used to it, and be happy to pick up the blinds every now and then, especially later in the tournament. There's nothing worse than getting a walk with AA in the BB, anything apart from that is pretty much acceptable :)

Just remember, AA is not invincible
    • Semesa
      Semesa
      Bronze
      you can never say "was almost definitely looking at top 3" with 18 players left.

in my experience in MTT's, the top 5 is a coinflip. by that time blinds are high enough that everyone has less than 20BB. if you call a shove and lose(due to luck or calling with a worse hand) you will immediately become shortstacked.

in this case, i would have been more than happy to pick up the blinds+raise.

NEVER slowplay aces.
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by horshamrob
      it's just he was a pure amateur who didn't know how to lay down a hand!
      Lets see the part about him being a pure amateur. He raises to 8k, you call so if there arent antes the pot is 17,5k. Then on flop he bets out for 8k and you push your last 18k chips. It costs him 10k to call and try to win 53,5k pot. With top pair and good kicker in situation like this i am making that call any day.

by this point i have actually almost let him know that i have AK or better
      lol, no. Far from it. Shorty like you could do that move with anything. If you had AK or better you would of pushed preflop.. or so he would have expected. In that spot i would never put you on Ak or better.

please comment how i played the hand because i don't feel i did much wrong.
      You chose risky approach. I would push preflop... there we have best hand, guaranteed to get money in while ahead, he might call anyway. If he folds we still pick up nice pot. And if he were on btn or late position we might show we defend blinds so he could not steal our BB so often in future.