loosing with the best hand

• bribri1987
      bribri1987
      Bronze
      ive been on pokerstars for a while now and find it impossible to win, im extremelly tight player but any time i ship my stack i loose, to prutal players, its not just the odd time, its all the time, i pride my self in only putting my money in when im ahead but the suck outs continue. any help
  • 15 replies
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Well if you loose every time the others win every time...so it is possible to win :f_biggrin: . Just kidding.

Well i think there might be variance a problem so i suggest you to read and learn about variance. Variance is part of poker and we have to deal with it.

Here is good video about variance: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/28979/

On the other hand you have to study your game a lot. When you will study enough you will realized that on PokerStars it is possible to win and you will smile somehow at this post in the future.

We do all have some times a feeling that we cannot win single monster hand but so it is.....you also have to know that ppl think they were unlucky again and again and then you realize that they overplay almost all of their hands....

So studying the game is the best advice i can give you right now.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey bribri,

Welcome to the forum - I see this is your first post!

Some players suffer in silence, so you've made a brave step here and made yourself known to the community. This community will do their very best to help you - that is what we are proud of here :)

I know it's cliched and it's been said a million times before but it is the truth - If you get your money in ahead you are doing ALL you can do! If you are a 80/20 favourite and the cards don't go the way you wish - what can you do? Nothing!

Alan has made a great post above mine also and you should definitely read about variance!

What games are you playing at the moment? Cash? Sit n' Goes? Tournaments?

All the best,
      Gary.
    • eetwidomayloh
      eetwidomayloh
      Silver
      On stars if you start to lose you will lose in a long run.
      I advice you to stop for 4 or 5 days or to withdraw your money.
      If something doesn't work don't lose your money in not blivin it.
      There are plenty other rooms - you don't have to play there.
      Even if your bonuses are active.
      Any kind of break is good when downswing kicks in. ;)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by bribri1987
      ive been on pokerstars for a while now and find it impossible to win, im extremelly tight player but any time i ship my stack i loose, to prutal players, its not just the odd time, its all the time, i pride my self in only putting my money in when im ahead but the suck outs continue. any help
      Hi bribri1987,
      In addition to what the others have said, I would suggest that you pick particularly bothersome hands and post them in the hand evaluation forums.
      There are separate forums for Short/Mid Stack Strategy and NL Big-Stack Strategy. And even more for Sit-n-Goes, MTTs and the like.

You mention that you play extremely tight.
      When others see that you open 10% (or less) of all hands, then they KNOW what you have, and play hands that play well against you, or outright beat you.

Perhaps you could tell us a bit more -- such as what limits, what strategy (BSS or MSS) and whether you play full-ring or short-handed.
      It would also help to know what you consider "extremely tight". For some that might be 5%, some would consider 15%.

Finally, have you taken the NL Beginner's Course?

If not, I strongly suggest it.
      All the material that you need is laid out in an orderly fashion.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • bribri1987
      bribri1987
      Bronze
      Thanks for all the info guys. I play only nl holdem turnaments. Ive tried cash games before but I dont have the experience in that area to play a wider range of hands. Ive beem very successful at local live turnaments and tried online. Only been playing 6 months online. I spend about 1 hour after every session re evaluating my hands. And as I say only new to online and find the action so much more frequent than live. After seeing my hands from the session patterns appear. I seem to loose after I risk my stack. Always getting in ahead. I know its the high level of seriously bad players but so frustrating.
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      If you ALWAYS have the best hand when the money goes in, you're playing to tight!
    • ikkvr
      ikkvr
      Bronze
      Pokerstars and ftp are king of bad beats so it will happen regularly :D
    • eetwidomayloh
      eetwidomayloh
      Silver
      Only tourneys!? -well that is another animal all together man.
      In live and online is a big diff and when i say big i mean huge. :D

Live tourney are more tight all together.
      It changes the game for a full cirlcle.

Like said if you are allways ahead it's too tight for online play.
      Online there are much more players and you have to bust a lot.
      That means goin with a wider range.
      suited conecs, small pairs even with K5 suited or what not. :f_eek:

I am telling you coz on last 1st depositors freeroll i finished 4th.
      On william hill it was last wednesday i think with 300 players.
      Got out with TT vs QQ. What can you do right?

300 players isn't a lot but still you have to play like everything. :f_p:
      On stars i am sure we are talkin 10-20 times that number and more.
      You will have to take a lot more chances and take a lot of bad beats.

And to get to money give a lot bad beats :s_evil:

But still take a break is where i stand.
      Or try it somewhere else with a smaller player pool.

PS: Don't be a nit... :s_biggrin:

Respect and good luck!
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      your brain counts bad memories 3:1 vs good memories. So it's only natural you remember the bad beats more than you remember the times you sucked out on some one else.
    • eetwidomayloh
      eetwidomayloh
      Silver
      Here's one for ya!

I just played the sam tourney on WH started before 15min ago.
      Bunch of donkey play every hand and i fold.
      So i got dealt KK, 1 raise and i reraise, 2 calls.
      Pot is around 1000 and we all got that much left.
      So flop is KT8 with 2 checks i bet 500.
      allin and 1 fold i call and donk shows AJ.
      i am 85%/15% favorite typicall donkey move.
      Turn is a Q river is a 6.

Every fish has it's day and what can ya do?
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      ^^ Pwnd
    • fjuws
      fjuws
      Bronze
      What's the meaning of playing tight? And what BSS or MSS stands for?

I kinda have the same issue but I play on PKR. I have some poker knowledge and I wins some hands and tournaments but what am I missing? :/
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by fjuws
      What's the meaning of playing tight? And what BSS or MSS stands for?

I kinda have the same issue but I play on PKR. I have some poker knowledge and I wins some hands and tournaments but what am I missing? :/
      Hi, fjuws
      Check out the glossary where you'll find (almost) all the poker terms defined

I see that you're still at "basic" level?
      Have you checked out the free poker money yet?

All the best,
      --VS

Oh, and to answer your question:
      MSS: Mid-Stack Strategy
      BSS: Big-Stack Strategy
      Tight: Play only quality hands
    • fjuws
      fjuws
      Bronze
      I always have the worst cards in the begining and now I'm  usually folding them just to save my stack for a better hand. Like having 2&6 or 9&5 or 7&3 4&6 and somehow in the flop I always get matching cards up for a straight with one card less. Are does bad cards? Sometimes I also try to guess and analys what the other players have and although it looks like I have a chance for a straight I ends up loosing to a pair 4's or 3's. I also was reading a thread here and found this "Playing to tight" What the meaning of "Playing to tight" ??  How can I win a hand with the worst cards? What am I doing wrong? Why I'm so bad at poker? And how do you know when to bluff and when not to?
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by fjuws
      I always have the worst cards in the begining and now I'm  usually folding them just to save my stack for a better hand. Like having 2&6 or 9&5 or 7&3 4&6 and somehow in the flop I always get matching cards up for a straight with one card less. Are does bad cards? Sometimes I also try to guess and analys what the other players have and although it looks like I have a chance for a straight I ends up loosing to a pair 4's or 3's. I also was reading a thread here and found this "Playing to tight" What the meaning of "Playing to tight" ??  How can I win a hand with the worst cards? What am I doing wrong? Why I'm so bad at poker? And how do you know when to bluff and when not to?
      Playing too tight means you only play the very, very best hands.
      This means that you DON'T play some very good hands.

However, from your questions I can see that you need a bit of a boost.

First, read these 3 articles:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/2232/
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/2232/
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/1349/

If you're going to actually PLAY poker, though I recommend signing up with one of the affiliated Poker Rooms -- especially one that offers free poker money.

As you play, you earn strategy points, and when you get to Bronze level, there are many more articles and videos from which you can learn.

If you follow the NL Beginner's course all the material comes in a logical order, so I really recommend that as well.

All the best,
      --VS