End of MTT/SnG - HU Starting Hands?

• SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      What kind of starting hands should be played HU at the end of a MTT/SNG? The opponent is likely the most important factor here, but as a guideline, what are good ranges for raising,calling a raise, re-raise, etc...
  • 7 replies
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi Salamiandcheese,

There is a system for HU, as an end game.

Its called SAGE, and theres an article for it HERE.

Hope this helps,
      Stiev
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply but I was thinking of something more like a hand-range, like open-raise 33% and call 50% from the SB, and open-raise 25% from the BB. I'm Re-raising pre-flop with 11.3% of hands as well. After playing and tracking a few HU sng's I think these numbers look okay. I'm using the "vs. 1 random hand" setting on Equilator to get the numbers.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi

In the end game, you should be playing push/fold about 90% of the time imo. As the blinds are generally quite big.

The problem with using the "vs 1 random hand", is that you aren't giving villain a calling range.

If you read the SAGE article, it tells you exactly which range of cards you should be playing in the endgame.

If you are not talking about push/fold HU, then knowone can tell you much about ranges. As every HU game has its own ranges, depending on the villain. HU is all about playing the player.

GL
      Stiev
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Ok, I'll re-read the SAGE article for MTT's and SnG's and keep experimenting with the hand-range idea in early phases of HU SnG's since I need a good set of training wheels for those! I got 251 buy-in's for the $2 sng at FTP... hope I don't go broke!
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Uhm in the end game when there are like 3 or 2 players left I go all in with a huge hand range.... basically A 7 and up. Will also push with K 8. Just think about it, the better your hand, the worse their hand. If you have an A there are only 3 left... noone else will probably have one. Pocket pairs are rare.. so you can push confidently.

Watched one of the coaches play like that so just copied it... failed first 2 times cause of bad pushes early on.. but then twice 3rd place, twice first place.

I came back twice from beeing almost eliminated using good push/fold.

But then again I play at 1$ buyin right now cause of my bankroll.. so the opponents aren't that bright.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi Dragar,

A7+ isn't really a loose range. Its quite common that you should push allin with any 2 cards. You can download ICM Trainer.

ICM Trainer will help you with your range of hands to play. Its a really useful program.

Best regards,
      Stiev
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Yup downloaded it already and practiced with it.

Cheers