Quiz Question

• xxxxxx192RNMD
      xxxxxx192RNMD
      Bronze
      What does it mean "button will never trap here"? Is it never a good idea to trap from the button? Or it is because of his stats in some way? Thanks in advance for the help

"UTG ($25)
      UTG+1 ($25)
      UTG+2 ($25)
      MP1 ($25) (28/25/4/58/21) [VPIP/PFR/AF/ft3-bet/4-bet]
      MP2 ($25)
      MP3 ($25)
      CO ($25) (40/10/1/40/1) [VPIP/PFR/AF/ft3-bet/4-bet]
      BU ($25) (19/16/3/59/15) [VPIP/PFR/AF/ft3-bet/4-bet]
      SB ($25)
      Hero ($25)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A :heart: J :heart:
      6 folds, CO raises $1.00, BU calls $1.00, 1 fold, Hero…?

Fold (0 Points)
      Call (2 Points)
      3-bet (3 Points)

Your answer Call (2 Points)
      The same applies here as in the previous example. The button will never trap here, he's holding a weak drawing hand. That's why the same arguement applies here as against the CO open raise, albeit with the disadvantage that you will have to play out of position in the event of a call in the 3-handed pot. This leaves the option of the 3-bet and the squeeze appears a bit more interesting."
  • 3 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, xxxxxx192RNMD

To "trap" would be if BTN has a good hand and instead of 3Betting, just calls, hoping to surprise CO with a good hand later on.

The statement "The button will never trap here, he's holding a weak drawing hand." basically says that this won't happen.

It is partly due to the stats, CO is very loose, and BTN is tighter.
      Faced with a raise from a loose player, the sensible thing to do is 3Bet if you have a good hand -- so the conclusion is that BTN doesn't have such a good hand.

A 3Bet after a raise and a call is called a Squeeze, and it shows a strong hand.

Best of luck...
      --VS
    • xxxxxx192RNMD
      xxxxxx192RNMD
      Bronze
      Thanks for clarifying that for me. I just had one more question .. you said "CO is very loose, BU is tighter". I realize that CO plays more hands in general but in this case he pre-flop raised and he only does that with 10% of hands .. wouldn't that be tighter than BU's 16% PFR? Thanks again
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by xxxxxx192RNMD
      Thanks for clarifying that for me. I just had one more question .. you said "CO is very loose, BU is tighter". I realize that CO plays more hands in general but in this case he pre-flop raised and he only does that with 10% of hands .. wouldn't that be tighter than BU's 16% PFR? Thanks again
      Although CO raises only 10%, he calls 30% of ALL HANDS -- that is huge (40% total minus 10% raised.)

This shows a lack of knowledge of hand value, and therefore (probably) a lack of positional advantage

The two stats vpip & pfr work together. If there is a wide gap, then the player either limps a lot or calls raises a lot more than he raises himself.
      Note also that CO very rarely 3Bets

BTN on the other hand, is much more balanced.
      His total vpip is lower ( tighter ) and the gap between vpip & pfr is much smaller for BTN -- he is tighter AND more aggressive.

So of the two, BTN overall seems the stronger player.

Cheers,
      --VS