Opponents were ranting at me...

• AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      I was playing a live MTT last night and got insulted a couple of times by other players, who thought my plays had been bad. Although I made the plays consciously and calculating my odds, I still would like to get the feedback from an objective point of view.

The first hand was like this. The blinds were at 300/600 and I was short stacked at 5,100, An early position player raises to 1700, with just 1500 left. I have pocket 4's in the button. I put him in two face cards, and I knew he was pot committed. I raised all-in, to try to isolate and race just against one player. He thought for a while (don't understand why...) and called with 10-10. I was crushed to see that it wasn't a race, but a flopped 4 gave me a set and busted him. Knowing how bad one feels when you are a favorite and lose, I didn't even celebrate,just said "wow..." and gave him a face saying "I'm sorry... He started saying I was a bad player for that play... I didn't pay attention.

I then got a couple of big pots with huge hands, like my trip K's against QQ, and a couple of steals, since I was now 2nd in chips. We were down to 8 players with blinds at 600/1200. I got QcJc in first position. I almost never do this, but I limped with them, knowing the BB was short stacked and knowing that he gets cautious with utg limp-ins. The button called and the BB checked. The flop was Ac-Ah-2c. We both checked. The turn was a Kh. He pushed his remaining 3,000 chips, I called and the button folded. I rivered the straight against his set of aces. I was welcomed with another round of ranting and name-calling.

Then we were down to 5 players with blinds at 1500/3000. I was the BB and a short stack pushes all-in with 6,200. Everyone folded to me and I had J-7. I knew that he had been playing very tight, but I had to call 3,200 into a 10,700 pot. I figured I had the odds to call, 3:1 and called. He had AK and I flopped the 7. The guy went on a mega tilt, saying I didn't know how to play, etc, etc.

I don't think those were bad plays at all. Variance finally caught up with me, when heads-up I had 10-10, the opponent raised, I pushed and he called with A-10. He spiked the ace in the river. Well, the odds there were huge in my favor but he got the card. I corteously sayed "nh" and lost in the next hand, since I had only 2 BB left.

Any observations?
      Do you agree with them?
  • 4 replies
    • bah22
      bah22
      Coach
      Coach
      First of all i don't think you have to pay attention what other players talk upon you. This should not upset you or make you angry.
      Imo you played first hand bad..cause UTG raise from a short stack not push is usually big hand... i would put him on QQ+..so going all in with 44 is not the best idea. And other hand that i didn't like your play is QJs. Limping to vary your game is all right but calling the turn with weak str draw...i don't about the pot odds but i doubted they were good. :)
      Except that everything else looks good to me...especially the last one...you were getting way to good pot odds..so easy call.
      Imo try to play tighter in the early stages..and go all in with really strong hands..this will save u a lot of troubles.
      GL
    • AussieIan
      AussieIan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bah22
      First of all i don't think you have to pay attention what other players talk upon you. This should not upset you or make you angry.
      Imo you played first hand bad..cause UTG raise from a short stack not push is usually big hand... i would put him on QQ+..so going all in with 44 is not the best idea. And other hand that i didn't like your play is QJs. Limping to vary your game is all right but calling the turn with weak str draw...i don't about the pot odds but i doubted they were good. :)
      Except that everything else looks good to me...especially the last one...you were getting way to good pot odds..so easy call.
      Imo try to play tighter in the early stages..and go all in with really strong hands..this will save u a lot of troubles.
      GL
      if you look a bit closer, he also had a flush draw, where i dont agree with the limp, the call odds on the turn look fine.
    • Kivisaba
      Kivisaba
      Bronze
      QJc is instacall in turn for me
    • Zenith88
      Zenith88
      Bronze
      In the pocket 4s hand, you had to pay 3200 into a 4100 pot, with no FE at all. Against his range you were either dominated, or on a coin flip, so i doubt you had the right equity to push.

In the QJ hand i don't think limping UTG is such a great ideea, since it's almost always a waste of a BB. For me, unless i got reads that villain tries to limp/shove with monsters, a limp means i need less equity to push with my marginal hands. Postflop you played well, even against the worst case, villain holding an A or a K, you had enough equity to call 3000 into a 7200 pot. Also a lot of people see checking behind as a sign of weakness, so often he pushes turn with air.

In the J7 hand you also played pretty good. With 2BBs villain can push a very wide range, any PP, A, K or two face cards at the least so your call was justified.

So in my opinion just ignore the haters, and keep it up. It's a good thing that you start a debate(on the forums ofc) and try to improve.
      Even if you suckout on someone, as long as it's not completely a fishy play, it's still ok. Just think of the times your AAs or KKs got called and cracked by JTs.