Video Strategic Discussion: DocDanish Review Part 2

• Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Hi Guys

Interesting Hand came up in this video and it got me thinking a little bit and I'd like for this to turn into a discussion. From now on I will be doing this with every video I release and I will encourage other video makers to do the same because I think this is how we will get the most out of the videos rather than zombie-watching live sessions:

Here is the hand in question...modified a little to save time:

Poker Stars, $0.50/$1.00 Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Preflop: Hero is BTN with Q :club: T :club:
      Hero raises, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls

Flop: (6.5 SB) 8 :diamond: A :club: 9 :diamond:
      BB checks, Hero bets, Button folds, BB calls

Turn: (4.25 BB) Q :heart:
      BB checks, Hero bets, BB calls

River: (6.25 BB) 9 :club:
      BB checks, Hero ???

3 questions:

1) What is your value betting range?
      2) What is your bluffing range?
      3) What is your checking back range - Hint it's whatever's in your range that isn't 1) or 2)

Bonus Marks:

Explain your actions

I would already point out that I have posted 3 hands in the Hand Evaluation forums for discussion almost 2 weeks ago and not a single person has replied to any of them

If we wish LHE to continue on this site it is not just up to the coaches to provide content it is also up to the community to display that it is wanted otherwise LHE will begin to take a large back seat, larger than it already has.

The hands are here:

Micro Discussion Hand:0.25/0.50 - KK capped pot, disgusting flop
      Micro Discussion Hand:0.25/0.50 - KK raised on Dangerous Turn
      Micro Discussion Hand:0.25/0.50 - TT in a massive pot

They are not exactly difficult but may help you think about your own game.
  • 8 replies
    • kennyxx
      kennyxx
      Bronze
      I have to say I didn't see the video yet so I have no idea who the opponents are ( and don't want to spoil myself now). Are there any notes or do we know anything about them? Or are they completely unknown?
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kennyxx
      I have to say I didn't see the video yet so I have no idea who the opponents are ( and don't want to spoil myself now). Are there any notes or do we know anything about them? Or are they completely unknown?
      We have less than 50 hands on both players but there are a couple of things you can infer:

1) The Button is most likely a bad player (Cold Called on Button)
      2) The BB looks like a standard TAG

However, without a read the questions can still be answered
    • chade28
      chade28
      Bronze
      Hi,

This is an interesting spot.

1) I would value bet any pair of A or a better hand and KK.
      2) I would bluff with FDs and SDs, which doesn`t have any pair. We don`t have too much, so probably with the lowest pocket pairs as well (22-44).
      3) The rest :) Any Q or lower pair. Except the lowest pockets.

What makes this interesting that I don`t see too many hands which will pay us off on the river, I think in most cases we will get a fold or a raise. Maybe a Q will pay or we can catch a busted draw what villain will turn into a bluff.
    • Gftwrpd4u
      Gftwrpd4u
      Bronze
      Hello,

I am brand new to this site, and this is my first post to any of the blogs.

1) Value betting range would be Ax or better
      2) Going on a busted straight draw or flush draw
      3) anything lower than a pair of q's is a check.

if you get a call with a raise on the river, you are most likely beat. Or facing a re-raise with a tough decision and a mediocre hand.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Gftwrpd4u

I am brand new to this site, and this is my first post to any of the blogs.

Hi, Gftwrpd4u
      I just noticed that this is your first post and wanted to say, "Welcome"!

It's great to see you taking advantage of discussions right away.

Be sure to look around at all the other things PokerStrategy.com has to offer...
      For example, check out free poker money.

When you get settled, be sure to check out the NL Beginner's course.

In the meantime, why not introduce yourself and let us know a bit about yourself -- what games / limits you play, what your poker goals are and so on.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • Gftwrpd4u
      Gftwrpd4u
      Bronze
      Hi VorpalF2F,

Thanks for the friendly welcome.

I play mostly NL hold em and a little bit of Omaha. I'm hoping to sharpen my game (aren't we all) I really would like to be able to calculate odds a lot quicker in my head. That along with another area's including putting people on hand ranges and combitronics.

I have been playin stakes all over the board, from $1-$100 on juicy stakes.

Recently I have not been doing so hot, so I'm taking a break and getting some much needed off the table training in.

My goal is to have a winning poker career!
    • Dawnfall26
      Dawnfall26
      Black
      Hi!

Ammmmm...smtn prolly wrong with HH,I assume hero is in CO?!? If he is BU then we can stop preflop already:)

so....Im certainly betting Ax+ which is quite a bit already (A2s+, cca.A7o+, 89o/s,Q9o/s,88,99,QQ,AA). I dont have many 9x here since I check them on the turn a lot

bluffing certainly with most missed draws...basically all my unpaired hands like 67s,KT,KJ,Kd7d,Kd6d, maybe J7s/T7s.

Im prolly not turning small pockets into bluff just for the fact that I have some SD value(not much though as I would expect him to bluff raise flop with at least good draws) He may have smtn like KJ,KT. Also why I wouldnt bluff small pockets is that we are gonna get called from unknown TAG way too light here anyway...no way is he folding 8x since he still beats the aforementioned draws...oh and also I prolly dont have many small pockets here anyway since Im checking these behind on turn most often.

So not much is there that I check...occational small pocket or 8x (which I also most likely check on the turn). Qx is the only part I prolly check here. I would say that 9x and 8x are his most likely holdings. As default 9x is slightly more likely in terms of preflop range. Fact that there are 2 nines on the board make 8x slightly more likely though. But...he also has Qx(which lowers our equity slightly and burns rake...not much though) and he also has some Ax(at least I know I do); not many but still A2o,A3o can easily be there...All in all we prolly have slightly over 50% maybe even 55%... which can argue thin vbet/fold but that opens us to getting bluffed which will happen in some small %...

another way of thinking this...at least how I do it... we are obviously very easily betting Ax+ for value so that he can call with 8x,Qx or whatever.We may even collect some bluffraises. So if we dont want him to exploit us by just folding 8x or even Qx here we should have some bluffs. These bluffs clearly want us to make him continue calling at least with Qx and even with Qx. At the same time we want him to constantly play a guessing game so that we make him unconfortable in such spots which will make him make mistakes by either folding incorrectly or calling is way to wide...so...
      ...and all this is done without betting Qx here...by vbetting a hand like the one we have is basically negating quite a few factors that we provided on top. On one hand we want him to fold 8x when we are bluffing but now we intend to bet for value vs this same hand...seems very inconvenient to me

close though....my 2cent:)
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Value: I'd value bet TT and up. More precisely, I'd bet-fold TT through AJ, bet-call AK up to trip nines with a J kicker, and bet-3-bet higher.

Motivation: I don't see my opponent check-calling twice with an A versus a BU open raise. He has mostly draws, a pair of eights or nines, or a small pocket pair. An eight is more likely than a 9. Throw in that he'll probably call with small pp. Exactly how many aces I'd bet-fold with feels uncertain and should depend on reads.

EDIT: Wow, that is pretty loose on second thought:D ! I usually advocate caution when betting IP OTR. Ah well...

I'd bluff busted SD and some (but not all) busted FD with no high card value. Exactly how many requires the Combonator.

/Johan = :f_confused: