Video Strategic Discussion: The Theory of Preemptive Exploitation

• Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Video Link

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/29560

In this video I put forward my theory regarding the problem I, and others to be fair, have with the way poker is and has been discussed in the past.

The idea that you can just take an "Average" player in a game and formulate your entire gameplan around that is something that I feel is a major cap on many people's ability to progress.

I feel this is a topic well worthy of discussion considering it's been embedded in the mindset of poker players, even professionals, for a very long time.
  • 5 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      OK, this is on my "Absolutely Must View" list!

I have this idea that:
        Some decisions are general / mathematical (starting hands)
        Some decisions are situational -- they depend more on the action ahead of you than on your hand itself -- or on relative stack sizes etc.
        Some decisions are personal -- they depend (almost) entirely on the person in the other seat(s).

I'm guessing that this is somewhat along that line.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Mostly the ideas are based around understanding the "why" in poker.

Most educational content is built around exploitation and, in some cases, exploitation involving a lot of guesswork, usually dressed up in some kind of absolute all-encompassing phrase:

i.e. "No-one bluffs here", "He's never folding here", "Most TAGs at this level are too polarized for me to call here".

To me this is an awful way to learn because it relies on half-truths and guesswork which may not be valid for the circumstances you are in and tries to disguise this guesswork as good and logical poker becasue it sounds plausible.

It's correct that a lot of the time you will not have a read on an unknown player but that is not an excuse to invent one based on other players.

Concentrating on our own ranges, using them to make sure no matter what our opponent's gameplan is he can't exploit us easily and then shifting up after gathering data is, in my eyes, a far superior way to approach the game. Yes it's hard and occasionally you'll feel like you're making suboptimal plays as you acquire data but eventually you'll have the correct adjustments to make and why and you won't have guessed your way there, potentially making fatal errors along the way
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Great video...

I didn't clue in until about 3/4 of the way through that this video is primarily aimed at Limit HE.

No matter, because I think that a lot of the points you make are valid for the games I play -- Limit 5-Card Draw and NLHE micros.

A couple of things that caught my eye (or ear?)

One is the idea that we accept certain principles as fundamental, and doing the opposite of them can be profitable. For instance, the idea that we should CBet almost all the time on a flop that comes Hi - Lo - Lo.

I have been profitably 3Betting such flops as bluffs if I think that the opponent is making such a "standard" CBet.

The next is I find some people have a tendency to give up on the turn if they are called on the flop, with the excuse "They are never going to fold anyway".

Maybe, but at the very least, they deserve the opportunity :)

Thanks,
      Great concept
      --VS
      Bronze
      boomer give me gold status now ! :( i want to see this video dammit :(
    • cjheigl
      cjheigl
      This is excellent stuff. As it happens, I drew heavily from it in my last coaching for the german community where I reviewed the idea exploitation by expectation, that is, which line in a given situation do we expect the opponent to play? What do we expect is his reaction to our line and how can we use that? And of course, why do we expect this?