MisterAnand

• MisterAnand
      MisterAnand
      Bronze
      Hello!

I'm a 22 years old engineering student who has had poker as a hobby for a while, being barely profitable on NL2 ZOOM.
      Although I have some experience, I believe my game wil benefit greatly from this structured way of learning.

Currently I'm on summer holiday from uni, and have a day job 6 days a week, but I will try to get some learning and playing in every day after work.
      My plan is to do at least one hour of poker studying in before I start playing every session.

My current short-term poker goal is to complete this course.
  • 9 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi and welcome to the Beginners Course MisterAnand!

The coaches are superb, you will learn the correct way to play with them!

also, since this is your very first post, why not introduce yourself to the rest of the course members and say hiya to the community here:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1465

Enjoy the course,

Mal.
    • MisterAnand
      MisterAnand
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I want to have fun while improving my analytical skills and patience, and in the long run save up some money to travel or help pay down my student loan.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      I believe that my biggest personal weakness as a player is that I get unpatient and frustrated when I lose big pots which hurts my results and enjoyment of the game.
      Since I'm a beginner, it's tough to identify the weaknesses in my strategy, but I think I too often pay off my opponents when I have a weak to medium made hand, or try to bluff in bad spots against players who will not fold often enough.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      It means to play strong starting hands, and putting pressure on your opponents by betting or raising instead of checking or calling, thus allowing them to make mistakes.
    • MisterAnand
      MisterAnand
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gadget51
      Hi and welcome to the Beginners Course MisterAnand!

The coaches are superb, you will learn the correct way to play with them!

also, since this is your very first post, why not introduce yourself to the rest of the course members and say hiya to the community here:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1465

Enjoy the course,

Mal.
      Thank you! I just made an introduction thread :)
    • TheMarxBros3
      TheMarxBros3
      Bronze
      Good Luck.
      As a life long poker player I encourage others to take up the game.
      There's nothing like it.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by MisterAnand
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I want to have fun while improving my analytical skills and patience, and in the long run save up some money to travel or help pay down my student loan.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      I believe that my biggest personal weakness as a player is that I get unpatient and frustrated when I lose big pots which hurts my results and enjoyment of the game.
      Since I'm a beginner, it's tough to identify the weaknesses in my strategy, but I think I too often pay off my opponents when I have a weak to medium made hand, or try to bluff in bad spots against players who will not fold often enough.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      It means to play strong starting hands, and putting pressure on your opponents by betting or raising instead of checking or calling, thus allowing them to make mistakes.
      Hi MisterAnand,

Congratulations on completing the 1st homework.

I like your honesty when it comes to your weaknesses and I recommend that you concentrate on learning the basics of the game and then try to look for harder to find leaks (weaknesses).

Best of luck at the tables,

Bogdan
    • thirit2
      thirit2
      Basic
      Originally posted by MisterAnand
      Hello!

I'm a 22 years old engineering student who has had poker as a hobby for a while, being barely profitable on NL2 ZOOM.
      Although I have some experience, I believe my game wil benefit greatly from this structured way of learning.

Currently I'm on summer holiday from uni, and have a day job 6 days a week, but I will try to get some learning and playing in every day after work.
      My plan is to do at least one hour of poker studying in before I start playing every session.

My current short-term poker goal is to complete this course.
      Welcome :) And MisterAnand? he's a good chess player, and u might be good poker player :P
    • MisterAnand
      MisterAnand
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      I would call behind with suited connectors for implied odds if several other players have already entered the pot (max one raise), to try and hit a big hand (two pair+) or a strong draw like a flush, OESD or double gutshot and get paid by worse made hands like top pair.
      Also I would steal more from the button against opponents who are very tight or who folds a lot to continuation bets, and at the same time steal less against the opposite type of opponent.
      It's also ok to raise wider a wider range if there has been one limper who you have position on, because he will likely be a weaker player who it's profitable to play against since he will make mistakes post-flop, or he is a TAG with a pocket pair.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation
      When playing at the micro limits, should you raise a speculative hand like 66 or 9Ts from early position to have initiative, if you have at least one loose passive player who is likely to call behind? Although you risk less by limping, I feel that I'm vulnerable to a isolation-raise, and my hand is more face up post-flop which will make it harder to get paid the times when I do hit a hand. Or should I just fold since I will be playing out of position anyways?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      About 46.3%
    • MisterAnand
      MisterAnand
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thirit2
      Welcome :) And MisterAnand? he's a good chess player, and u might be good poker player :P
      Thanks! Hopefully one day I will be, although maybe I should have chosen MisterCarlsen? ;)
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi MisterAnand

Congrats on finishing the second homework.

All the adjustments you are talking about usually have one thing in common: more information is available regarding our opponents.

So when you decide to play more (or less) hands you should always look at your opponents, and all the info you have on them.

RE Q2: yes, ideally you want to raise first in once you become more familiar with the plays. However it's rarely fun to play weak hands OOP even against a fish so I would reserve these raises for spots where the fish are in the blinds and we can raise to isolate them.