Winrate vs different times of day (Micros)?

• pockettones
      pockettones
      Bronze
      Due to the country I live in, I usually play from around 7:00-10:00 ET, where there are usually 50-60k players. I play 5NL right now, I dont really have a good sample size but am sitting at 5bb/100 hands at 16k hands. I find 5NL a lot tougher than 2NL (21bb @ 21k hands) where people stacked off with mediocre hands pretty frequently , 5NL seems to be a lot tighter in general with a lot less fish... maybe its a lot easier during peak hours?

I know you cant really compare the toughness of the two stakes based on my really small sample winrate, but these are just observations Ive made.
  • 6 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, pockettones

I think that your observation about time of day is spot on.

Traffic seems best from late afternoon to about 22:00 BST -- Say 11:00 to 17:00 ET.

I'm on the wet coast of Canada, and the number of tables begins to drop dramatically about about 19:00 ET.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • redrawstump
      redrawstump
      Bronze
      Lol at wet coast. Is that a Freudian slip? :)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by redrawstump
      Lol at wet coast. Is that a Freudian slip? :)
      No, it is is a very common joke in BC -- lots of people ( well, ok just me ) call it that. :coolface:

--VS
    • NewwWorld
      NewwWorld
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Hi, pockettones

I think that your observation about time of day is spot on.

Traffic seems best from late afternoon to about 22:00 BST -- Say 11:00 to 17:00 ET.

I'm on the wet coast of Canada, and the number of tables begins to drop dramatically about about 19:00 ET.

Cheers,
      --VS
      Could you translate those times in European Time please :) ? Im so bad at that..
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I really don't know myself.

There are lots of "European" time zones.

This is a great reference if you get scrambled up:

http://www.worldtimezone.com/

Here is the Europe close up:
      http://www.worldtimezone.com/time-europe12.php

From the maps:
      EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) is BST (British Summer Time) -05:00

CEST (Central Europe Summer Time) is BST + 1:00

So CEST = EST + 6, so the time range with greatest traffic is:
      17:00 - 23:00 CEST -- which is evening for most of Europe, which is what you'd expect.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • Psderrr
      Psderrr
      Bronze
      There is going to be more to it than just time zone although that can be a factor, if you break it down and think of who is playing at the various limits and why you can get a better idea of what is going on.

Your casual player might put some money on then play some nl10+ perhaps just putting it all on one table at nl100 or something. Some people who are a little more conservative might be happy playing a 2 dollar game but much fewer casual players are going to fall into the range of a 5 dollar game, what you have there are mostly just bad regs and people with some aspiration of moving up stakes/ not being a losing player. They all have plenty of leaks and play badly but in general they are going to be less spazzy and tighter than straight up fish.