Deposit more money in bankroll. Smart move?

• ListenAces
      ListenAces
      Bronze
      I got my tax statement today and it told me that I got a return of about $1000.
      Quite unexpected I might say.
      I'm thinking about sticking some of those in my bankroll.

I'm currently playing $0.05/0.10 fixed limit and a couple of micro no limit tournaments now and then.
      A hefty increase in my bankroll would certainly allow me to play higher limits,
      but would I just be feeding my money to the sharks?

How high should I go up in limit if any? ?(
  • 9 replies
      Bronze
      i think you should wait going up in limits just a little bit longer.
    • ListenAces
      ListenAces
      Bronze
      You are right! :s_cry:
      What floats my boat on 5cent is table selection and spotting fish on the 10 ring.
      I see that the 10cent very limited as far as 10 ring goes.
      So I would be forced to either play one or two tables or play 6 ring.
      I'm not all that good at 6 ring yet.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about how to climb...
      But I shouldn't run ahead of myself yet.
      I'll use that tax return on giving myself more free reins elsewhere. ;)
    • ShaQQ
      ShaQQ
      Bronze
      Depends on your stats, confidence, winrate etc, it's definitely more rewarding grinding to bankroll goals but if you know you can beat a certain stake due to similarities with your current level, then go for it. Personally I'd keep the money in bank account and grind, have it as a buffer if you are close to the next stake and need a top up to follow brm or on the flipside hit variance.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey ListenAces,

I think you should only move up a limit if you're 100% beating the limit you're at. Otherwise you'll just be donating it to others.

You're almost likely be playing scared money too, jumping a level can mess with your mind!

If you're playing very well at your current limit, sure, give the next one a tester and see how it goes, but only if you really are confident enough to move up.

You could always use $50 or so to have a fun Sunday, join some of the special $11's and enjoy yourself, cheaper than a night out for sure ;) It's not fixed limit but I'm sure you'll enjoy.
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ListenAces
      You are right! :s_cry:
      What floats my boat on 5cent is table selection and spotting fish on the 10 ring.
      I see that the 10cent very limited as far as 10 ring goes.
      So I would be forced to either play one or two tables or play 6 ring.
      I'm not all that good at 6 ring yet.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about how to climb...
      But I shouldn't run ahead of myself yet.
      I'll use that tax return on giving myself more free reins elsewhere. ;)
      the thing is that i know a little bit about your game you know ;) and if you cant beat 5/10c like for at least 2BB/100 over a good sample. dont try to go up to 10/20c or higher that would just be bankroll suicide. Ill help you beat 5/10c for 3BB/100 like i do now. By then you will certainly be able to beat 10/20c and 25/50c .. your a smart man , but dont rush it believe me that really can mess with your mind. First hand experience lots of times here.
    • ListenAces
      ListenAces
      Bronze
      Thanks for all the advice I will continue on 5cent for now and see how it goes.
      I'm not that far away from the bankroll reqiurement of $60 for 10cent.
      If I have a good couple of weeks I might just get there on my own and save me the deposit.

I know what you are talking about when it comes to changing limits Avataren.
      Going from 2cent to 5cent was sure a mindtrip for me. ;)
      Bronze
      for me it was 10/20c to 25/50c .. still cant be at 25/50c yet. need a bigger br ..
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze

But, ...

Did you always do what your parents told you to do ;) ?

You could make a small deposit and play comfortably for a day or two at a slightly higher level and then, if things go badly, bounce back to a lower level.

There is a difference between theory an practice when it comes to BR management. If you live off of poker and move up w/o sufficient skill and roll from $5/$10 to $50/$100, then you are committing suicide. If you play recreational poker and/or play to improve your game and can easily afford a losing session or five at a higher limit, well, ..., it's not the end of the world if you lose. Besides, you can abort mission at any time.

Just don't do the same thing when the money is bigger - at least take smaller risks then.

/Johan = :f_confused:
    • ListenAces
      ListenAces
      Bronze
      Good point Yohan. :s_biggrin:

But since I made this post life at 5c/10c has taught me that I have much to learn. :s_cry:
      I guess I will claw my way up from the bottom to get the lessons I need.