$0.25 45 12th $0.00
      $0.25 45 41st $0.00
      $0.25 45 29th $0.00
      $0.25 45 34th $0.00
      $0.25 45 13th $0.00
      $0.25 45 9th $0.00
      $0.25 45 13th $0.00
      $0.25 45 9th $0.00

Whats the best way to learn how Sit and Go's work? And how do they differ from MTT's which i normally play (only every now and then, only recently ive considering playing more often and building a bankroll.
  • 8 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      [quote]Originally posted by BigBenMee
      [A]  So as it turns out I am awful at sit and go's lol. My recent record:

[b][B][/b]  Whats the best way to learn how Sit and Go's work? And how do they differ from MTT's which i normally play (only every now and then, only recently ive considering playing more often and building a bankroll.[/quote][A]  Not to worry. EVERYONE is awful at Sit-N-Goes. Before I get ripped to shreds, let me explain myself.

SnGs are only PARTLY about poker -- hand rankings, ranges, pot odds outs etc. A MASSIVE element of the SnG is the way you adapt to the increasing blind levels. Knowing how to exploit the other players as their stacks dwindle is the key to winning consistently at SnGs. Your stack won't dwindle, because you'se da bawss, and you knows da pokah in the low-blind stages and have built up a comfortable stack while everyone else gets more and more uncomfortable.

[b][B][/b]  45-man SnGs are by definition MTTs. The best way to learn how to play them is to read the articles. I point out the articles, because you can print them out, or make your own notes, and have them beside you and concentrate on one aspect that you have learned as you play.

The 45-man SnGs are a bit wild, too. A lot of bingo players, so even if you play perfectly, you'll get busted out a fair bit by some goomah chasing draws or whatever. Don't worry. You only need to win 1 in 12 to break even.

You're one short -- ship it!

Best of luck...
      --VS

Disclaimer: I play cash games
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey BigBenMee,

I find the best way to play 45 man is to play reasonably tight until the last 18.
      Then ICM/Nash ranges become important.

Although it is not necessary to use those ranges, it is necessary to know about the impact they can have as a lot of players will be playing those ranges.

I strongly recommend that you read adamrothwell's blog;

Adam wasn't going well early in the year in .25c 45 mans, but with a lot of study and hard work he is now playing $1.50 45 mans. I believe he will be able to help you out as he has taken the path that you want to head down.

I would also recommend gavinonymous' blog:

Hope this help.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Thanks guys!
    • BigBenMee
      BigBenMee
      Bronze
      Cheers guys ill take a look :)
    • BigBenMee
      BigBenMee
      Bronze
      Tried another couple of tournaments. Got a decent stack of around 10k with 1 person left until the final table. Then lost a load on this hand, got completly distracted by the flush hitting I didn't even realise I had the full house, else I would have called. Really annoyed me I had to stop playing! lol

PokerStars - $0.23+$0.02|150/300 Ante 25 NL - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4: http://www.pokertracker.com

CO: 27.77 BB
      BTN: 43.45 BB
      SB: 15.54 BB
      BB: 30.79 BB
      Hero (UTG): 35.9 BB

5 players post ante of 0.08 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.92 BB) Hero has 7c 7d

Hero raises to 2.2 BB, CO calls 2.2 BB, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (6.32 BB, 2 players) 2h 3d 4d
      Hero bets 4 BB, CO calls 4 BB

Turn: (14.32 BB, 2 players) 2s
      Hero bets 6.33 BB, CO calls 6.33 BB

River: (26.98 BB, 2 players) 2d
      Hero bets 8.33 BB, CO raises to 15.15 BB and is all-in, fold

CO wins 43.65 BB
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by BigBenMee
      Then lost a load on this hand, got completly distracted by the flush hitting I didn't even realise I had the full house, else I would have called. Really annoyed me I had to stop playing! lol
      ooooh, I hate it when that happens.

I was reviewing my 5-Card Draw database, and discovered I had folded a pat straight flush pre-draw at some time previous.

I am hoping I timed out, or disconnected or something other than just plain not noticing.

For next time, take at least ten seconds before acting.

You will still occasionally make a total screw-up, but hopefully they will be less frequent. Once a year is frequent enough!

My sympathies,
      --VS
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by BigBenMee
      Tried another couple of tournaments. Got a decent stack of around 10k with 1 person left until the final table. Then lost a load on this hand, got completly distracted by the flush hitting I didn't even realise I had the full house, else I would have called. Really annoyed me I had to stop playing! lol

It happens to the best.

• VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I am SO glad you posted that.

I realize that deep down, I might not be as good as Phil Ivey, but at times I can be as bad :coolface:

--VS