What do people think of "Double Stack" tourneys?

• Ellfish
      Ellfish
      Bronze
      Hi there,

I was wondering what the general consensus on double stack tournaments is. They are on Titan, not sure about other sites. Only difference is you start with 3000 chips instead of 1500. Does anyone play these, and why would/wouldn't you play these over regular tourneys?
  • 5 replies
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      I like them, the blinds usually start off really small with long blind levels. It gives you a chance it play really TAG and only play the extreme premium hands, it also give you a chance to watch the rest of your table to see how they play.

They usually give the better players a better chance because off the deepstacks, as more skill is involved rather than luck.
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      More chips mean more time to play before push/fold mode starts. And that means you get more time to take away chips from opponents with your good play instead of good luck in preflop all in situations. I like them more than regular ones.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi Ellfish,

I only play double stacked tourneys. There is alot less luck involved in the early game. The only downside is you will be playing for longer than usuall.

For anyone with the roll, there is a daily $55 deep stacked tourney on stars (deep meaning 5000 starting stack, and 30 minute blinds). There is usually about 300 people that enter, and it takes about 6 hours to get itm. This is the best tourney layout I have found, as I hugely prefer double and deep stacked tourneys.

Theres one thing to remember though. Alot of fish are drawn to double stacked tourneys (for obvious reasons), but double stacked tourneys are for more experianced players imo. You need to be able to build a big pot when you have a good hand, and obviously try and keep pots small with marginal hands. Alot of people cant do this, therefore should definaitly not play these tourneys.

Best regards,
      Stiev
    • Cardbender
      Cardbender
      Bronze
      I wish there were 6x chip stack tourneys. ;)
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      Ladbrokes have had low-limit deepstacked tournies for 2 or 3 years. It obviously gives players who are used to playing with deeper stacks more of an edge than otherwise.