Luck of the draw - 5CD, MTTs and Stud

• Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Welcome to my third attempt at a blog, the other two i didn't manage to keep going but third time lucky and all that

I'm a 19 year old English student, been playing poker for a couple of years but i never manage to stick to a format for more than a month or so while playing hold'em, so therefore i'm now trying some non hold'em variants. So far both stud and five card draw are hitting the spot however due to a lack of learning materials online for stud i'm mostly going to be sticking to 5CD as a cashgame of choice, i'll also be playing MTTs (hold'em, nl 5CD and maybe triple-stud) and a small amount of stud cash.

I'm rolled for the next stake possible at 5CD however due to inexperience i'll be playing at 0.1/0.2 till i have a half decent sample size and can be sure i'm a profitable player.

Goals for now:
      Play 10k hands at 0.1/0.2 then check my winrate
      Play no more than 2 tables of 5CD at a time
      Improve at hold'em tournaments - Lately i've just been spewing horribly

Graph:

Not sure how maintainable 3BB/100 will be, according to EVGalois' video here on pokerstrategy it should be possible but we'll see
  • 24 replies
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Following for sure! :)
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Oooooo! 5CD! I'll be following.
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TinoLaan
      Following for sure! :)
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      Oooooo! 5CD! I'll be following.
      Thanks :) I'll be posting a few hands when i work out how to view hand histories in fpdb, not sure if i ran well by getting the bottom of ranges yesterday or if i made the right move in some spots so they'll appear soon enough hopefully
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Decided to load up a 6max MTT while watching a movie, witnessed this lovely hand with 391 people left and 390 paid. Obviously the SB puts the BB on 22 :coolface:

PokerStars - $1+$0.10|400/800 Ante 100 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 23.54 BB
      UTG: 25.59 BB
      Hero (MP): 8.06 BB
      CO: 29.02 BB
      BTN: 56.61 BB
      SB: 10.46 BB

6 players post ante of 0.13 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.25 BB) Hero has 6:club: J:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, fold, SB calls 0.5 BB, BB checks

Flop: (2.75 BB, 2 players) A:club: A:heart: 5:spade:
      SB checks, BB bets 1 BB, SB raises to 2 BB, BB calls 1 BB

Turn: (6.75 BB, 2 players) 3:club:
      SB bets 1 BB, BB calls 1 BB

River: (8.75 BB, 2 players) 5:diamond:
      SB checks, BB bets 11 BB, SB calls 6.34 BB and is all-in

BB shows 7:club: 2:diamond: (Two Pair, Aces and Fives) (Pre 30%, Flop 24%, Turn 14%)
      SB shows 4:club: 4:heart: (Two Pair, Aces and Fives) (Pre 70%, Flop 76%, Turn 86%)
      BB wins 21.43 BB
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      You failed to realize he has 3 pair though.

:facepalm:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Subscribed!

BTW, if you ever want to post 5-Card Draw hands, here is a great converter for them.

All the best,
      --VS
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Subscribed!

BTW, if you ever want to post 5-Card Draw hands, here is a great converter for them.

All the best,
      --VS
      Cheers, that'll come in useful thanks :) Just need to work out how to access the hand histories, they're no longer in the pokerstars directory so they must be being transferred somewhere when they're imported
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Just search for files starting w/ HH and you'll find 'em.

Are you using PokerHands?
      I didn't know it could archive them.

I do it manually after each session.

--VS
    • 3prswins
      3prswins
      Bronze
      Good to see you blogging mate!

Will be following :f_thumbsup:
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Just search for files starting w/ HH and you'll find 'em.

Are you using PokerHands?
      I didn't know it could archive them.

I do it manually after each session.

--VS
      There isn't any in the directory for fpdb sadly so i'm not sure what happened to them, i currently use fpdb but it isn't too useful for 5CD, could you message me how to get pokerhands? Couldn't find it through google or other forums

Originally posted by 3prswins
      Good to see you blogging mate!

Will be following :f_thumbsup:
      Cheers :)

Not sure how much poker i'll be playing today, a friend of mine moved into a new flat last night so i was a bit busy christening his flat to play :f_love:
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Well i appear to have changed something in the settings that stopped fpdb working, problem is i can't open the program to change the setting back, i also can't find an editable config file to do it manually -_- No HUD or anything for the forseeable since reinstalling didn't effect it somehow

Edit- Nevermind fixed it, had to change a file in the appdata, now to hope deleting it didn't get rid of my imported hands, may have lost my progress so far
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Always archive and backup your hand histories.

I have had to re-import from scratch twice.

Nice to be able to.

--VS
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Thats true, i'll definately archive and back up the hand histories every so often,think its probably worth placing the backup in a cloud/somewhere that isn't my HD incase of unforseen problems

This weeks summary will be coming up later on, for now heres a hand i played earlier today, initial raiser is a tight player seemily a reg, slightly profitable over a 3-400 sample, the open limper and 2 callers are loose, limping a lot with a wide range and generally passive predraw while the button is betting often postdraw, predraw seemed standard, postdraw in a 5-way pot i opted to check/call expecting the button to bet if they improved, bet/call seemed overly strong and bet/fold is of course not an option with that much dead money in the pot unless it maybe got capped 4-way ahead of course :P

once a cow has a taste for violence, it reverts. it becomes feral.
      PokerStars Limit 5 Card Draw $0.10/$0.20 - 5 players

BB: $1.40
      UTG: $3.98
      CO: $3.97
      Button: $1.47
      SB: $5.41 (Hero)

Dealing Hands: ($0.15) (5 players)
      UTG raises to $0.20, CO calls $0.20, Button calls $0.20, Hero raises to $0.30, BB calls $0.20, UTG calls $0.10, CO calls $0.10, Button calls $0.10

First Draw: ($1.50) (5 players)
      Hero discards 1, BB discards 1, UTG discards 1, CO discards 1, Button discards 3,
      ||
      Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, Button checks

BB mucked
      UTG mucked
      CO showed , high card Ace
      Button mucked
      Hero showed , three of a kind, Nines
      Hero won $1.43
      (Rake: $0.07)
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Musher1993
      Thats true, i'll definately archive and back up the hand histories every so often,think its probably worth placing the backup in a cloud/somewhere that isn't my HD incase of unforseen problems

This weeks summary will be coming up later on, for now heres a hand i played earlier today, initial raiser is a tight player seemily a reg, slightly profitable over a 3-400 sample, the open limper and 2 callers are loose, limping a lot with a wide range and generally passive predraw while the button is betting often postdraw, predraw seemed standard, postdraw in a 5-way pot i opted to check/call expecting the button to bet if they improved, bet/call seemed overly strong and bet/fold is of course not an option with that much dead money in the pot unless it maybe got capped 4-way ahead of course :P

once a cow has a taste for violence, it reverts. it becomes feral.
      PokerStars Limit 5 Card Draw $0.10/$0.20 - 5 players

BB: $1.40
      UTG: $3.98
      CO: $3.97
      Button: $1.47
      SB: $5.41 (Hero)

Dealing Hands: ($0.15) (5 players)
      UTG raises to $0.20, CO calls $0.20, Button calls $0.20, Hero raises to $0.30, BB calls $0.20, UTG calls $0.10, CO calls $0.10, Button calls $0.10

First Draw: ($1.50) (5 players)
      Hero discards 1, BB discards 1, UTG discards 1, CO discards 1, Button discards 3,
      ||
      Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, Button checks

BB mucked
      UTG mucked
      CO showed , high card Ace
      Button mucked
      Hero showed , three of a kind, Nines
      Hero won $1.43
      (Rake: $0.07)
      Even with AAA it is hard to lead out here because you're only really getting value from BU (if bu drew trips). It's even tough to check call vs a bet from either BB UTG or CO because they only bet with straight+ (At these stakes definitely. And if you thought they would overplay 2 pair by betting postdraw they certainly would cap pre.)

Hope to see you successful in 5CD. Could do with additional motivation for myself :D
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tommygecko
      Even with AAA it is hard to lead out here because you're only really getting value from BU (if bu drew trips). It's even tough to check call vs a bet from either BB UTG or CO because they only bet with straight+ (At these stakes definitely. And if you thought they would overplay 2 pair by betting postdraw they certainly would cap pre.)

Hope to see you successful in 5CD. Could do with additional motivation for myself :D

I feel due to the size of the pot i'd have to call a bet though i wouldn't want to, i'd only have to be good here 1/8 of the time to break even if one of them bet and i was the only caller.

Week One Summary:

On the whole this week went well, the last few hundred hands weren't too good, i wasn't catching cards and when i did someone else had a better hand :f_mad: Still managed a decent winrate in my opinion so overall i'm pleased with that.

I've also realised a few spots where i feel i don't know the right range to be playing to start with nevermind adjusting to certain player types so i need to focus on those for the next week, namely:
      :diamond: The correct range(s) of hands to play in SB with one or more limpers
      :diamond: Visualising ranges for 5CD, having a HUD tell me peoples' tendencies is only helpful at the moment for getting an idea of if the players is tight/loose and aggressive/passive since i don't know what hands a 20%(For example) range would include

Goals for this week:
      :spade: Average 500 or more hands per day
      :spade: Work on the above problems
      :spade: Focus fully while playing tournaments (I tend to not pay much attention and just autopilot which is definately -EV at the moment)
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Nice graph. :s_cool:
    • Yadumalchtoona18let
      Yadumalchtoona18let
      Basic
      Not sure how maintainable 3BB/100 will be...

After today session I have exactly 3.00 BB/100 :s_o: after 60k hands.
      Maybe later I'll try to post a graph, because now It's a mess from all of the stakes.
      Been playing with you few days ago, maybe not even 50 hands, but from the very beggining you seems like a reasonable player :) GL.
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lazza61
      Nice graph. :s_cool:
      Cheers Laz :)

Originally posted by Yadumalchtoona18let
      Not sure how maintainable 3BB/100 will be...

After today session I have exactly 3.00 BB/100 :s_o: after 60k hands.
      Maybe later I'll try to post a graph, because now It's a mess from all of the stakes.
      Been playing with you few days ago, maybe not even 50 hands, but from the very beggining you seems like a reasonable player :) GL.
      Thats good to hear, doubt my true winrate at the moment is 3BB/100 but it'll get there with time. Whats your SN if you don't mind me asking? :)
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Mindset

This post is really just to talk about the weakest part of my game; the mental side of things.
      While playing and breaking even my mind-set is fine, i can concentrate completely and make (in my opinion) the right decisions. However while getting unlucky, say for example someone drawing with 3 to a flush or a weak 2 pair then outdrawing me when i have a decent hand like high trips i start cursing the player in my mind and playing sub-optimally, not in a crazy-monkey tilt way but rather just making bad decisions. Likewise if i'm currently up a decent amount (>10BB on a table) i get anxious about losing the profit.

To try and combat this i've been playing shorter sessions, with irregular timings and long breaks which still isn't a good choice, 3prswins suggested trying the pomodoro technique so starting tonight i'll be doing that.

I've also added a long term non-poker goal which i figured i'm more likely to keep up with if i post about it here, that is learning German.

To summarise the above means that i'll be:
      :diamond:P laying 25minute sessions followed by a 5minute break
      :diamond: Spending 30minutes per day studying German

In the future i'll be trying to work on my lifestyle and mindset, using Schnitzelfish's motivation thread as a groundwork, i'm not implementing that now since i don't want to add too much at once.