Breezand

• Breezand
      Breezand
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I've always been a fairly competitive person, either through sports or competitive gaming. Poker seems like a nice avenue to channel this into, while potentially being lucrative too.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I think the main ones if not concentrating 100% while playing, in the past I have known to watch a movie or listen to a podcast while playing distracting my concentration.

Not calling or re-raising enough c-bets I think is a potential leak as well, I feel I give my opponent too much credit with the cards that he has.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Playing tight aggressive means, playing only strong hands in good positions in order to try and put our selves in +equity over our opponent. With this positive equity we look to play aggressively to capitalise on this.
  • 5 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey breezand

I hope you enjoy the beginner's course. Poker is a great avenue to sate your competitive nature.

Regards,
      Luke
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Breezand
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I've always been a fairly competitive person, either through sports or competitive gaming. Poker seems like a nice avenue to channel this into, while potentially being lucrative too.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I think the main ones if not concentrating 100% while playing, in the past I have known to watch a movie or listen to a podcast while playing distracting my concentration.

Not calling or re-raising enough c-bets I think is a potential leak as well, I feel I give my opponent too much credit with the cards that he has.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Playing tight aggressive means, playing only strong hands in good positions in order to try and put our selves in +equity over our opponent. With this positive equity we look to play aggressively to capitalise on this.
      Hello Breezand,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Good job with the first homework.

I definitely recommend to try and play poker without any distractions. That may mean you need to shut down skype, close web browsers, etc.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • Breezand
      Breezand
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

In a more general approach I would either start open raising with pocket pairs or folding them if they are low and I am in early position. The current ranges of how I would make this fold or open raise is still being decided. Are there any good articles to read on this particular issue?

In a more game specific scenario, I would change my play depending on my reads/Hud stats of those around me. If there is someone playing extremely tight I will blind steal more etc.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      I don't have a hand specifically picked out, but this is more of a hypothetical scenario that I have a question for. If an opponent begins to 3 bet a lot against me. How should I respond? By tightening my range and then 4 betting him/her?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

46.32%
    • Breezand
      Breezand
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?

Preflop:50.78%
      Postflop:26.46%

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Its a call here for me. The pot is 0.91, we have to call 0.22. So our pot odds are 4.14. Our chance of hitting the nut flush is 1:4 so we call here.

The villain probably has a straight and so the implied odds are large if we hit the nutflush his stack is 100BB too.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      Once I complete the course I will begin playing poker , I hope this is acceptable.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Breezand,

Congrats on completing homework #2 and #3.

The course was designed to help you while playing so it definitely helps to put in some volume, if it's little (at first).

The problem with no playing is that you may forget certain things that you can't put in practice right away.

So my advice would be to at least play a few hours a week, if possible.

Best of luck,

Bogdan