Poker Tracker 4 or Hold Em Manager 2

• TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I'm just looking to get back into poker after a rather long break, however before I do, I want to organise some things. One of those things is to decide whether use Poker Tracker or Hold Em Manager.

I understand a lot of it is down to personal preference, and there are Free trials available, so I could check them out for myself. But from organisational point of view, and features and simplicity of use, could you poker geniuses suggest which one to use.

If you're feeling super nice maybe you could post some good points and bad points so I could weigh up the options myself.

I'm basically trying to install all the programs on my pc, before I start playing, so I want to decide on that. And also if there are any other programs you could recommend I would be ever so grateful.

Gracias and keep krushing !!

P.S. forgot to mention I'll be playing SnG and MTT so what programs are a must?
  • 24 replies
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      Originally posted by TimoDee
      I understand a lot of it is down to personal preference, and there are Free trials available, so I could check them out for myself. But from organisational point of view, and features and simplicity of use, could you poker geniuses suggest which one to use.
      Your quote above really did answer your own question, the only way to know which application is best for you is to test them both within your playing workflow . Both applications provide a 30 day free trial, this gives you plenty of time to try both and make the best decision which tool works best for you. Of course we are biased and hope you chose PokerTracker 4, but the truth is we wan't you to make the right decision for yourself - no matter what tool you chose, we are happy knowing that you have a choice. Nobody else can tell you which tool is better, this decision can really only be made by yourself.

Originally posted by TimoDeeP.S. forgot to mention I'll be playing SnG and MTT so what programs are a must?
      Since you mention this, the one thing we should point out is that PokerTracker 4 has built in Tournament Detection engine that allows us to determine the tournament type and payout structure, this is necessary to use the free ICM calculation tools that are included in PokerTracker 4 at no additional charge. Most players think of ICM as a simulation to determine the right strategy, that is included in the PT4 replayer but we also perform ICM calculation to determine the financial value of every chip remaining in the tournament, then use this value to calculate Net Adjusted Winnings. This is the result of your prize pool equity each time you go or call an all-in bet and all player's hands who have equity on the pot are known at showdown. This differs from All-In Equity (sometimes incorrectly referred to as EV) because All-In Equity calculates your expectation in tournament chips, while Net adjusted Winnings calculates your expectation in your share of the Prize Pool winnings by combining hand equity with the ICM value of each chip. Some tournament players find this cutting edge technology very helpful in their game education.
    • TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      Thanks for your reply, and I'm glad there's a representative for Poker Tracker, as I actually have a question. I've had Poker Tracker 3 previously (full version), and I've noticed you do free upgrades to PT4, is this for life or a period of time?
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      Thanks for your reply, and I'm glad there's a representative for Poker Tracker, as I actually have a question. I've had Poker Tracker 3 previously (full version), and I've noticed you do free upgrades to PT4, is this for life or a period of time?
      https://www.pokertracker.com/faq/PT4#upgrade-discount-from-pt3-to-pt4

PS: We sugest you also look at the PokerStrategy offers for PokerTracker 4.
    • TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      Yeah, I bought it after June 2011 so theoretically I'm eligible for a completely free upgrade. I downloaded it, and it all seems fine, however I just wanted to know if its permanent.

Thanks,
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      Yeah, I bought it after June 2011 so theoretically I'm eligible for a completely free upgrade. I downloaded it, and it all seems fine, however I just wanted to know if its permanent.

Thanks,
      Yes, it really is free since you qualify for the post June 2011 deal.
    • Skraggy
      Skraggy
      Bronze
      I'm so glad I found this thread - I'm in the same boat as the OP, after stopping poker for 2 years now. Does seem I got my licence for PT3 in 2010 so I miss the free upgrade :(
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      The free upgrade offer ended in July 2014, you commented on an old thread from 2013 when this free upgrade offer was still available. Additional Details: https://www.pokertracker.com/faq/PT3#pokertracker3-end-of-life
    • DarylFresch
      DarylFresch
      Basic
      Post edited. Reason: advertising / Marta
    • sweets0
      sweets0
      Basic
      Hello! For those who still want to know the difference between hm and pt check this link: http://www.pokerleakbuster.com/pokertracker_vs_holdemmanager.html hope this helps!
    • JohnAnhalt
      JohnAnhalt
      Basic
      Definitely try both, as both have their pros and cons.
    • ADTRguy
      ADTRguy
      Basic
      Originally posted by sweets0
      Hello! For those who still want to know the difference between hm and pt check this link: http://www.pokerleakbuster.com/pokertracker_vs_holdemmanager.html hope this helps!
      Thanks for this. The review was very thorough and helped me a lot in making my decision. Appreciate it.
    • MrPink578
      MrPink578
      Bronze
      I, personally, like Poker Tracker the most. But that's just for me.
    • JohnAnhalt
      JohnAnhalt
      Basic
      Originally posted by MrPink578
      Are you mostly a tournament or cash game player? Seems most tournament players like PT better, and cash game players like HM more, but that's not always the case.
    • MrPink578
      MrPink578
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JohnAnhalt
      Originally posted by MrPink578
      Are you mostly a tournament or cash game player? Seems most tournament players like PT better, and cash game players like HM more, but that's not always the case.
      I play a bit more cah games vs tournaments. I'd say probably a 65/35 split. But sometimes I play more tournaments.
    • SirPaulius
      SirPaulius
      Bronze
      Actually I like pt4, used both pt4 and hm2 trial. Somehow its easier for me to use pt4. But ive read somewhere that hm2 can be a litlle bit better for cash games because of some of it features which I suppose is anyway way too advanced for me.
    • JohnAnhalt
      JohnAnhalt
      Basic
      Originally posted by SirPaulius
      Actually I like pt4, used both pt4 and hm2 trial. Somehow its easier for me to use pt4. But ive read somewhere that hm2 can be a litlle bit better for cash games because of some of it features which I suppose is anyway way too advanced for me.
      I use both regularly. I like PT4 much more for tournaments, and HM2 much more for cash games. But yeah, you can't go wrong with either, and I think this gives a really good over view of the advantages and disadvantages of each one:
      http://www.pokerleakbuster.com/pokertracker_vs_holdemmanager.html
    • cardinhand
      cardinhand
      Basic
      I play mostly cash games right now, and I seem to prefer holdem manager 2. I used Poker Tracker 3 for a long time, but switched to HM2 awhile back and I like the interface.:f_drink:
    • JohnAnhalt
      JohnAnhalt
      Basic
      Originally posted by cardinhand
      I play mostly cash games right now, and I seem to prefer holdem manager 2. I used Poker Tracker 3 for a long time, but switched to HM2 awhile back and I like the interface.:f_drink:
      Yeah, agreed. I have both. I like the HM2 interface a little more. PT4 is a little more nimble and not as resource intensive. They both have their pros and cons really.
    • cardinhand
      cardinhand
      Basic
      Can anyone give me an update on which one is better right now.
      some add-ons doesn't work anymore after the update of hm2