Ups and downs, starting off again on a microstake

• bogstratos
      bogstratos
      Bronze
      Hello everyone!

I'm Bogdan from Romania and this is another blog from me, where I start off from scratch on a NL2 stake, hoping to go big this time. Info/background on me can be found in my old blog.

I'm going to start off with 40$ and work my way up the limits, splitting the profit with my staker. We'll see how I fare on the lowest of limits and then decide on the future of the stake when I reach NL5.

I'll follow a 20BI rule for NL5 and 25BI rule for NL10. That's 100$(NL5) and 250$(NL10). I plan on proving myself as a winner on NL10 and I want to use some of the money I make to invest into coaching before I move up to NL25.

Starting BR: ~$40

I will use this blog to post interesting hands, sometimes random stuff, but mostly to keep track of my stake.

Thanks for reading!
  • 15 replies
    • martinstids
      martinstids
      Bronze
      GL dude!
    • KnowHung
      KnowHung
      Bronze
      Yea good luck to you, going to follow you.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Good luck with your new challenge Bogdan!

Oh and random stuff in a blog is always good! :f_love:
    • bogstratos
      bogstratos
      Bronze
      Yesterday I set up my HM2 and played NL2 zoom a bit, managed to get about 1,2k hands in and made 1BI+ profit, which came from nonSD winnings. SD wise I ended up in the red because of a few flips and some mistakes. So far things are looking good.

Hands played: 1200
      BR: $42

Last night I went to a friends house for his birthday and ended up getting quite drunk so I will not attempt to play today unless I feel better later.
    • bogstratos
      bogstratos
      Bronze
      Not sure if it's my playstyle, NL2 zoom or just the sample, but I'm making more money from my nonSD winnings rather than SD. I'm happy anyways, I seem to still be able to play at a level that beats NL2 easily, I hope that this will be the case with NL5 and NL10 as well.

Hands played: 4073
      BR: $51,53
    • martinstids
      martinstids
      Bronze
      I think u can try to take ~1-2BI shots at nl5 when u hit 15BI.
    • bogstratos
      bogstratos
      Bronze
      Hi everyone! Had a good run until today, when I got overeager and went on to bluff two regs who unfortunately had trips (why on earth would I even do that, you basically have to wait and cash in when you have a hand at NL2) and also called down a seemingly aggressive reg who guess what... had trips :D ! Not satisfied with my play today.

I read a news here in Romania that a kid with Down's syndrome passed the BAC exam (the final exam students have to take after finishing high school) which about 50% of teens in Romania didn't pass. This is inspirational and sad at the same time. :f_eek:

Hands played: 9075
      BR: $56,20

Have a good day!
    • bogstratos
      bogstratos
      Bronze
      Nothing very interesting today, some fishes made me lol tho. I think that tomorow I'll hit $75 which means I will take shots at NL5. I hope to beat that easily too, we'll see.

Hands played: 11116
      BR: $70,96
    • bogstratos
      bogstratos
      Bronze
      Over the last few days I have toned down my aggression a bit and my nonSD line started dropping juuust a little, but the SD line increased massively.

Today I got to ~$80 playing NL2 and took a shot at NL5. First impression is that there are more regs than at NL2, and most of them seem to be nitty, so they are easy to deal with. There were a few regs that seemed to bluff/bluff catch more, but they don't seem to be very good. I played just 2 tables of NL5 zoom and managed to get around $13 in profit. When I will hit $100, I'll start playing 4 tables.

Hands played: 12665
      NL2: 12161
      NL5: 504
      BR: $93,01
    • martinstids
      martinstids
      Bronze
      Great progress!
    • bogstratos
      bogstratos
      Bronze
      I won't go too much into details and I won't post frequent updates, but I'm back again grinding! More importantly I'm also studying well this time. I feel better about my game then I ever did and maybe the gazilionth time is 'lucky' for me.

I got into uni where I'm studying computer science which will take a large part of my time, but with zoom I'll be able to put in 50-60k hands/month.

I only beat NL2 atm and moved to NL5, but since I'm using a semi-aggressive BRM (about 14-15 BI's) I'll probably get to NL10 soon enough. NL25 should be the first real challenge for me (if NL10 didn't get much harder than 1 year ago).

NL2 graph:

Good luck to me!
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Silver
      Very nice progress :s_cool:

Are you still on a stake deal? And did you always play Zoom, or you intend to start playing it because of lack of free time? (If so, be careful, Zoom differs a lot from the regular tables)....

GL @ the tables
    • bogstratos
      bogstratos
      Bronze
      Hello nmilan, yea, I played zoom up to NL25 (took shots at it) one year ago and I'm used to it, it fits my busy schedule atm and I like the fact that you can join/leave quickly. And yes, I'm on a micro stake again, prob will be on it until I get established at NL10. I could have deposited myself but idk why I felt motivated better to start off this way.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey Bogdan!

Lets get crushing! You'll be back at nl25 in no time. I'm sure if you follow some coachings your game will be back where it was.

Ras
    • bogstratos
      bogstratos
      Bronze
      Hello!

Soooo some stuff happened! I got involved into some sideprojects and stuff @ uni which made my schedule busier than I thought it would be. I realized that I'm a terrible player at NL5 (apparently), so I decided I will probably just play some NL2 for fun once in a while and maybe study a little bit (of poker) here and there, without committing to poker that much.

I came into this with a lot of confidence that was crushed by the amount of mistakes I made, but mostly by the fact that I tried to adjust many times and couldn't quite tell what the fk I'm doing so wrong at NL5. I thought that being a winning player at NL10 a year ago would make me at least a slight winner today at NL5, but idk.

I know that getting a degree today isn't a guarantee that I can get a good job in the future, but I also do know that getting involved into projects and actually creating something is a good way to build up a CV. Big IT firms (including Microsoft, Google etc.) have recruited a lot of talented students from my uni, and tbh I would love to get a chance like that.

Why am I whining like a little bitch? cause of this:

NL5

I know variance was involved and I know it's a small sample, but still, that's just freaking horrible. What does make me wonder tho is the difference between NL2(11BB/100 over 45k hands) and this. I'm not putting a stop on my poker "career", but I will use it to fill my time rather than trying to stick to a strict playing/studying schedule.

But who knows, maybe I run good 1 time and win some big donkament! Then I'll afford coaching and come back crushing, drop out of uni and laugh my ass off while my current colleagues fry their brains studying haha. Or maybe not. :f_mad:

With that rant/bs stuff out, I'm not sure what I'm going to do in the future, but I did at least realize that I'm very results oriented (not only in poker, but having a lot of mood swings only based on short term results irl) and I feel that I really need to do something about that.

Well if you got this far reading this post, you're probably bored, so you're welcome! Or maybe you're just procrastinating and you should stop doing that. Or maybe both :s_o: . Anw, good luck!