Video Strategic Discussion: Reg Weaknesses at $0.25/$0.50

• 10 replies
      Bronze
      I actually wasn't surprised about the bluff. question is what would you do on the river if someone called. both 1 caller or 2 or more callers ?
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Would depend a lot on who called and what the river card was etc:

If more than 1 player called I'm just giving up, there's such a low chance of them all folding the river after calling the turn I just don't think my bluff can be profitable

It really depends who calls, if it's the original PFR and a scare card comes on the river (i.e. completes all the bluffs) I may just complete my bluff as an exploitative measure against his, more than likely, A-High while giving up on a total brick

If it's another of the players then I probably just give up and hope the board misses their draws.
      Bronze
      xapandr is one caller (I hate him our history profit wise goes to him)
      Id really like to know how you would handle him.
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Can't really say anything from an exploitative standpoint

I don't have a big enough sample size on him, like literally <100 hands. All I can say is that he won 100% of his showdowns he played in that session so he was running incredibly hot and it's almost impossible to get a read on someone after that few hands, especially when they're running that hot.

However if his low SD/High W@SD continued then there would be a couple of things to do, but not much I could go on with that small a sample so I'd just balance as best as I could

He did over-value top pair 3rd-kicker vs a nit but a lot of players do that (he capped a KTx board w/ KJ vs a 13/7's 3-bet and B3B on the flop). Aside from that, not much.
    • bankrollmanagment
      bankrollmanagment
      Bronze
      Hello I liked this video, Often don't now what to do wright in those spots. can't beat micros almost 5 years, I play almost everything
      But started with fixed limit FR tables an feel passion about this type of game till now. For this moment my plan is take few articles videos every day plus found book winning Low limit hold 'em by Lee Jones so with all this I hope I could profitably start to play at 1/2 FL tables on Poker Stars maybe.

What would be advice for this thinking?
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      If you understand and absorb everything in my Micro Surgery and From the Bottom Up Series (and attend coachings *wink*) you'll know more than enough to beat Micro Limits

As far as books go most paper books these days are pretty out of touch with modern online poker. I'd say anything before "Winning in Tough Hold'em Games" is pretty much irrelevant now except for the absolute basics and even WITHG has a lot of advice that would be deemed a little questionable now but the preflop ranges and advice are solid enough you can't really go too wrong with it.

Really book exist now to really study how poker knowledge has advanced over the years. There are still some good portions for sure but for the most part the only real reason to read them is curiosity

The exceptions would be "The Intelligent Poker Player" and "Further Limit Hold 'em: Exploring the Model Poker Game" by Phil Newall which are pretty advanced and go very deep into Game Theory and model building for poker which is probably a little advanced for starting out.

If you're interested in the subject, the Mathematics of Poker by Bill Chen is also a good one to read in that area although again, not for beginners and really only interesting to the Poker Geek...but then again as Bill Gates has falsely been attributed to say "Be Nice to the Nerd...you'll probably end up working for one"
    • kavboj84
      kavboj84
      Gold
      Hey Boomer,

my remarks on your play:

@7:00 QJs :

-I dont really like the way you played this hand. With the QJs I dont see any better hand that you can make fold with a turn barrel, especially when he calls with QTo. Do you have a check range on this turn ?
      And I also dont see a better hand that could fold on this river if he does bluffcatch cause the top of his folding range is around QJ and he calls with K high. And the same is also true for you, the best hand you have here is K high and if you fold those you dont bluffcatch at all, so if the villain bets Qh he gets looked up by Kh and make Qh-s fold most probably

@12:20 JTs :

Interesting spot, seems like you can bet only a straight for value if Im right ? Which hands would you bluff barrel on turn ?

@16:20 QT

as a rebluff do you play c/r turn, or raise flop ? Also if you flat your entire range on the flop to raise the turn, and a club comes, do you change your plan or still raise the hands you wanted and change your raising range. What happens if the turn is the :c7 and you have a pair of sevens ?
      Also as I see your bluff range here would contain mostly flushdraws, and the problem with this is that on a club river you can only underbluff which means your opponent can fold all hands in his bluffcather range and that would result that you could v-bet much less. I dont have time now to check exactly how much villain needed to fold on a club in this case , but I wonder if you could still vbet weak Kx-s which are the bottom of your range. If not that would mean you should have a check range on the river. But the most interesting thing would be if you were OOP in a similar situation, which hands would you x/c and x/f (or x/r??) then ?

I will watch the rest of the video later sometime.
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kavboj84
      Hey Boomer,

my remarks on your play:

@7:00 QJs :

-I dont really like the way you played this hand. With the QJs I dont see any better hand that you can make fold with a turn barrel, especially when he calls with QTo. Do you have a check range on this turn ?
      And I also dont see a better hand that could fold on this river if he does bluffcatch cause the top of his folding range is around QJ and he calls with K high. And the same is also true for you, the best hand you have here is K high and if you fold those you dont bluffcatch at all, so if the villain bets Qh he gets looked up by Kh and make Qh-s fold most probably
      Yes I do in terms of a checking range but on this board it would mainly consist of A and K-high's.

QJ though is probably a check but you can't say it's a bad bet just because my opponent made a terrible call and I highly doubt K-High is a good call on the river becasue all his A-highs he's x/c'ing the turn with have improved so there will be little need to call all of his K-High's, epsecially if he doesn't make godawful turn calls, in fact I'd say the bluff w/ Q-high on the river would be mandatory considering we've now hit so much on the river, in fact I'd probably bluff it if the turn went x/x, I'd certainly bluff some Q-highs because all our A-highs in our x range are now straights which we'll bet for value so we have to have some bluffs.

In reality though I should probably bet AJo+ for value and All FD's and gutters J-High or worse on the turn, with some other low card hands like T9 in there as well, maybe also one of the worse Q's like Q6o
    • kavboj84
      kavboj84
      Gold
      maybe also one of the worse Q's like Q6o

do you have Q6o in your pre 3bet range from the SB v CO :f_o: ?

also which better hands you think he'd fold if you barrel the river with QJ as well. If you x/c Ax and Kx, you cant really rep a wheel on the river

I highly doubt K-High is a good call

in this case he doesnt bluffcatch on the river, I think he'd raise 77+, 44, 22 on the flop or the turn, Ax and 66 on the river. So the best hands he has except 33-s are Kx
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Sorry I only glanced at the hand and I thought I'd opened from the Small Blind

Let's just say really bad day today, I'll come back to the thread in the morning, apologies.

Although if it is my 3betting range vs CO, I don't have too many worse hands than QJs to barrell, T9s, J9-Ts and QTs are it with an 8 on the board and I'm pretty sure that's not enough bluffs to have in our range when we have all overpairs, sets, top pairs and maybe big Ax too