TheKing7

• TheKing7
      TheKing7
      Bronze
      Hi

I am from Singapore and i am 25 this year.I was a -EV player in the past and still am one currently.I am new to PokerStrategy.com and would like to use this beginner crash course to improve my skills at microlimits.
  • 9 replies
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Oh yeah mate....you found the right place to improve your game and to make every move +EV. Good luck and if you will work hard you will be winning player very soon.

Good luck.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by TheKing7
      Hi

I am from Singapore and i am 25 this year.I was a -EV player in the past and still am one currently.I am new to PokerStrategy.com and would like to use this beginner crash course to improve my skills at microlimits.
      Hi, TheKing7

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com !

Terrific idea to take the beginner course!

Be sure not to miss out on the free poker money when you sign up with one of the tracked poker rooms.

Best regards,
      --VS
    • TheKing7
      TheKing7
      Bronze
      Homework 1

(1)My motivation to play poker which I believe is similar to most people is to earn money. I do not wish to beat this game as I was constantly being pushed around in the tables in the past and finally, I told myself that I need to improve on my game and this led me to PokerStrategy.com and I believe through studying the games and identifying my leaks, I would improve my game and be a winning player in the near future.

(2)My first weakness is that I do not stay focused on this game. I tend to multitask while I am playing online and I found this to be bad as I do not take notes on players, do not identify how they play and thus I would not have a solid read on the player.

My second weakness is that I play according to my hand strength which I found this to be fishy and hopefully I can improve on that.

My third weakness is that I will occasionally go on tilt and move up a level if I am down due to some coolers and this often lead to my bankroll being wiped out. Poor bankroll management!

(3)Tight means playing hands selectively. Do not play hands that seem pretty such as suited connectors OOP.

Aggressive means being able to apply pressure on your opponents. You would want your opponent to have hard time thinking through what you have by applying aggression through betting instead of checking and calling.
    • TheKing7
      TheKing7
      Bronze
      Homework 2

(1)As a beginner, I think it would be good to stick the SHC. But as you progress along the way and also reading the ‘Crushing NL50’ article, your knowledge of your opponent based on stats or past experience would expose me to play more hands if I know it’s +EV against them.

(2)I do not have any specific questions as of yet as I had not started playing yet and thus could not post any hands for evaluation. I would like to take some time to understand the mechanics and dynamics of the game before I start hitting the tables.

A question I have for pocket pairs, I realize the chart state that you can call a raise if your opponent and yourself have 20X R stack. But what I understand is that pocket pair hit sets in about 1/9 time so isn’t CALL15 still profitable?

(3)46.32%.
    • TheKing7
      TheKing7
      Bronze
      Homework 3

(1)Preflop equity : 50.76%
      Flop equity: 26.46%

(2)Pot size after Button raises = $0.91
      Hero has already committed $0.22 and his current pot odds are 0.91:0.22 which equate to 4.1: 1. Hero has a nut flush draw on the turn and based on the Odds and Outs chart, he would need more than 4: 1 pot odds to be profitable and in this instance, he had it and calling would be fine here.

Raising or shoving all in here would be fine as well because I would like to take down the pot here right now with a draw and even if villain makes the call, I would still have plenty of outs but considering the flop play with him checking behind, I would put him on a weak range of hands and maybe a gutshot that chose to check behind.

With not much information about the villain, I cannot make any assumption on his range of hands. But if I feel I have a lot of fold equity against him, I would definitely raise or shove all in. If not, calling would be fine with the required pot odds and with a backdoor flush; our hand actually looks quite deceptive and could scoop a nice pot if we make it.

(3)As stated, I have not started playing yet. I would try to play some microstakes soon and hopefully able to post some hands in the forum.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi TheKing7,

Congratulations on completing the first 3 homework lessons.

Let's look at some feedback:

Re: focusing

I recommend that you try to remove any distractions that are present. That may be closing down and social media tools, shutting down skype, turning off the TV, closing your browsers, etc. Anytime you have these distractions you will play less than optimal and thus play a worse game than you could. And afterall why would you want to waste time playing if you can't give it your all?

Re: pocket pairs

You should use the rule x20 for now as it works a lot better for a beginner. You normally hit a set one in 8 times but you have to understand that you don't always get paid off and you can also lose money with a set.

Re: hand from homework 3

I would not recommend the shove after villain min raises. Almost every time we get the money in we will be behind and we generally do not have fold equity (hands that villain can fold).

Best of luck with the rest of the homeworks and the sooner you start to play the better.
    • TheKing7
      TheKing7
      Bronze
      Homework 4

(1) NL2 34s

(2) nl10 - AdJd

(3) I got 10 outs. According to Equilab, I have 41.41%.

One of the video link for Section 4 is down. :f_cry:
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there TheKing7,

May I suggest you post the problem here:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1364

and tell them which video it is?

They should get back to you very quickly when it's fixed. :)

Regards,

Mal.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by TheKing7
      Homework 4

(1) NL2 34s

(2) nl10 - AdJd

(3) I got 10 outs. According to Equilab, I have 41.41%.

One of the video link for Section 4 is down. :f_cry:
      Hi TheKing,

Homework 4 is complete !

Keep up the good work (although adding a bit more to your responses would be great).

Best of luck with the next homework.

Bogdan