Suggestions for Software

• TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      Hey community!

I'm soon going to be starting my poker journey, and as some very intelligent people previously said, preparation goes a long way. So that's exactly what I'm trying to do; prepare for my journey.

One of my next steps, is to determine what software/programs/tools I should download, to help my game as much as possible.

Here's what I got so far:

PokerTracker 4
      ICM Trainer Light
      ICM Trainer
      PokerStrategy Equilab

I'm going to be playing SnG's and MTT's so if any of you could recommend additional tools or software that would help me survive this journey, I would be forever in your debt.

One last question, for posting hands on the forum, what hand converter would you guys recommend? I wanna make it the easiest for the hand judges etc to read.

Thanks,
  • 11 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Holdem Resources.

I think that there is a paid version now, that does a whole lot more.

Best regards.
      --VS
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hey TimoDee,

Like Vorpal mentioned, Holdem Resources will be a great addition to your software library if you're going to be playing SNGs/MTTs :)

As far as hand converters are concerned, you can easily just copy the hands from your PT4 and it'll be perfectly fine!

Another option is to use our PokerStrategy.com SideKick. Not only does this software store and convert hand histories for you as you play, it also allows you to keep track of your StrategyPoints and allows you to easily post hands for evaluation.

You can also earn kicks along the way, which might be an added motivation to keep playing. There are also promotions for the SideKick from time to time, though there's currently none running. Some potential prizes include live tournament packages or even cash rewards!

So there's plenty options to choose from! :)

Regards,
      Tino
    • TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      Wow, thanks both. Great replies! And I'll definitely add them to my library (let's hope my computer can bear all these programs running)
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      No problem at all, glad we could help! :)

You won't have to run all programs at once, so I don't think it should be a problem. If you've been able to run PT4 fine until now, I don't think you'll experience any problems.

Also, please not that you are not allowed to run the ICM trainer while playing, as this is seen as forbidden software. You are of course free to use it before or after playing to practice your game, but you should not run it while playing. So that's something you'll want to keep in mind!

If there's anything else we can help with just let us know :)
    • TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      Ahh ok, thanks! Yeah I understand about the ICM Trainer software is for educational purposes so I shall only use it while studying :)

Thanks again,
    • Mantelo
      Mantelo
      Gold
      Hey Timo,

As You are going to play MTTs, make sure to register to one of online poker statistics and poker rankings site. Your own database will be very small & every time You get moved to new table, all players will be unknown most of the time. And here those sites help a lot - even identifying who's the fish & who's the reg will save & earn You a lot of money.

Not sure if it is allowed to post the names, but let's give a try:
      Official Poker Rankings
      PokerProLabs
      SharkScope

If deleted, You can easily google for them :s_cool:
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hey Mantelo,

Posting the names of these sites is perfectly fine ;)

Thanks for posting them, too, because they are indeed very useful resources while playing. I personally find them especially useful in the later stages of the tournament, because in the early stages people bust left and right anyway :f_biggrin:

So yeah, thanks.

Kind regards,
      Tino
    • TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      Hi both,

Thanks for these, it's a really good idea! Is it worth me signing up to each of them, or no? If not, which one of them would be the best.

Btw, just checked my own graph, haha. I wish I didn't stop playing after my cash:

http://officialpokerrankings.com/pokerstars/TimoDeee/poker/results/B679CCE197E34C8FA3FF7B09623B0FDB.html?t=2
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      I'm not familiar with PokerProLabs myself, but I can definitely recommend signing up for both OPR and SharkScope.

Also, I moved this to a more appropriate board, where it might get even more answers :)

Kind regards,
      Tino
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hey TimoDee and welcome to the tournament strategy forum =)

I would be happy to see further posts from you in the future!

The most important pieces of software were already mentioned. As for the ranking sites I would recommend signing up for OPR (free account). The information you get is very basic and it's not as good as sharkscope. But at least it's for free.

I would also like to add another point of view to the discussion:
      If you are new to poker and are going to play tournaments as well as SNG's I wouldn't recommend the use of any software at the very beginning. It may just confuse you. Furthermore it is not really needed in the micro stakes.

Try to get used to the game, read articles, watch some videos, maybe visit a few of our coachings. Then, when you feel comfortable in what you are doing, start to add some pieces of software, One at a time, and try to implement the new information into your game and/or your analysis sessions.

It doesn't make much sense to use advanced software like the Holdem Ressources Calculator if you are not familiar with the basics. Same goes for most of the other software mentioned.

First thing you should get familiar with is the Equilab imo. After you got the basics and feel familiar with them, play around with the Equilab and try to analyse some spots with it. After you managed to understand the software you may add pokertracker into your game. The software is a extensive source of information and you will need some time before you can benefit from all the possibilities given. Last one for the moment should be the ICM trainer.

Things like HoldemRessourcesCalculator or Sharkscope can wait until you reach higher stakes and know way more about the game.

Don't lose too much time with software that isn't necessary at the beginning and try to focus on improving your game and of course on playing poker.

If you have any further questions regarding MTT's feel free to ask. I am happy to help you getting started ;)

Regards,
      Asaban
    • TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      wow, thanks so much for sun an in-detail reply.

I'll be sure to sign up to them.

In regards to your reply Asaban, it's not that I'm just starting up, I've played them before (with mixed success), but this time I'm trying to things properly. So I'll definetely start in the order you've mentioned them :)

I've just read the article on using Equilab so I'll have a play around with it.

The annoying thing is, I'm living in Madrid atm, and can't play here, so I've just spent the last couple of weeks reading articles, watching videos etc, without actually being able to play which grips my sh*t, but oh well.

Thanks, and if I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask! :)