Set Mining Rant

• Acespeci
      Acespeci
      Bronze
      Is it mathematically logical for players to set mine you when your playing MSS?

They are playing with a big stack and has no implied odds. If they hit they will only win 40% of their stack.

I can understand if the person call with his low pocket pair behind a bigstack but wit only 1 other player that is using MSS it should be taboo in poker.

I play MSS to avoid set mining and losing a bigstack when I have AA so when I see players trying to set mine me when i am playing MSS I have to rant! X(
  • 5 replies
    • HypnoMarsu
      HypnoMarsu
      Bronze
      It can be logical. In the right situation you can set mine vs a mid stack.

Since a set mine is an implied odds play you can set mine if the effective stack is 20x (IMO 15x is enough) the price of the call pre flop.

Ex EP 100bb opens 3x you are in the BB with 88 and a 40bb stack and it folds to you. If you know villains range is very tight and that he doesn't like folding his medium hands post flop. Then you have profitable call since you will get the implied odds since you only have to invest 2bb to see the flop and won't get squeezed out of the pot.

this is a very specific scenario and it depends a lot on villains tendencies and if he pays attention to your calling range and post flop lines in BB because if he gets wise he will adapt.

Another good scenario is the multi-way pot since you'll know exactly where you stand post flop.

Then theres the case where a weak big stack villain ignores your stack size and calls with a PP in the hopes to create a multiway pot with other big stacks.

And then theres set mining with middle pocket pairs like 88-JJ because they have inbuilt showdown value/playability in addition to their potential for sets

All this being said, most of the time set mining won't be profitable if the mid stack open size doesn't allow for the call 20 rule
    • Acespeci
      Acespeci
      Bronze
      Thanks for enlightening me.

Am not angry anymore. :)

I realize a I can try to set mine as well and make big stack players rant. According to the situations you outline and i will try to create my own.

For example
      set mining in early position hoping to get a multipot if the table loose
    • HypnoMarsu
      HypnoMarsu
      Bronze
      No problem, happy to help! :)

Just try to avoid baby pairs 22-55 in EP or you will start getting it in vs bigger sets in family pots.
    • dragan2171
      dragan2171
      Silver
      set mining my ass

shit like this happens all the time

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/3994231_4B21F03A06
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      Originally posted by dragan2171
      set mining my ass

shit like this happens all the time