Crushing Micro-Stakes NLHE 6-Max

• Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      Welcome to my blog!

Little about me:
      • I'm 19 years old and live in the North East of England.
      • Currently playing $25 NLHE Zoom 6-Max and have played poker for a few years already.
      • I hope to work my way up through the different stakes until I reach the nosebleeds.
      • When I'm not playing poker, I enjoy computing, business and finance.

OK, so now that you know a little bit about me, let's discuss my current goals. I have been using TMGP 2 (The Mental Game of Poker) to help set more structured, meaningful goals. Both books are incredible reads and it's crazy how much they relate mental issues in other aspects of my life.

Results goal: Make $1,000 by December 1st, including rakeback.

Process goals:
      • Over the first three months, steadily increase from 7,500 to 15,000 hands per month.
      • Commit to studying tactical theory for 4 hours per week.
      • Find and eliminate my biggest C-game error: many -EV bluffs post-flop.
        Use the mental hand history to work on both the tactical and mental game side of it.
      • Consistently work hard on my mental game.
      • Add another item (opponent type) to my realistic focus list.

Why do you want to make $1,000 by December?
      In order for me to have a sufficient bankroll to take shots at NL50, I need to increase my current bankroll by this amount. Moving up to the next stake would also allow me to potentially quit my job and play poker full-time. I'm not entirely sure about quitting my job to play poker full-time yet, but it would be nice to have that option.

What obstacles might stand in your way?
      How will you deal with them?
      I could go on a big downswing which could affect my motivation. I need to remember that whilst I have set the above results goal, there are certain things outside of my control such as variance. I could also get demotivated if I am not able to increase my hands played per month fast enough. I will deal with these issues by adding a fourth process goal: to consistently work hard on my mental game. Tilt has been a pretty big problem in the past, but I am confident that my recent dedication to improving my mental game will work towards eliminating tilt in the future.

So now I have clear, realistic goals which I can work towards, great! I've recently realized how many gaps there are in my theoretical knowledge, but by setting these goals I am motivated to systematically plug these leaks and slowly but surely work my way up the different stakes. I think lack of clear goals has been a problem in the past, not just in poker but in other areas of my life. I look forward to start setting goals in those other areas such as social and work.
  • 3 replies
    • everyoneissolid
      everyoneissolid
      Gold
      first + in :f_p:

nice post, where is the next one?

solid structure and goals, even though I think you should aim higher.
      $1000 should be more than doable within 6 month, if you are running with 4bb/100 (which is not that much when you include RB) you need to grind 100k hands to make $1k. If you keep increasing your volume you can make it way before December ;)

You already figured out the downside of monetary goals, I would recommend to set other goals, like beating NL50 until December or playing X amount of hands.
      Some might argue also against such goals but I think it is way better than monetary goals because your goal can pretty easily be crossed by variance, even though you are playing well.

I would strongly urge you not to become pro before you have beaten NL100 over samplesize. I guess expenses in the UK are pretty high if you grind really hard you can make a few thousand bucks a month on NL50 but I would not advise anyone to do that. Also you should have a at least 100 Buyins for going pro. You should not be forced to move down the stakes when you are playing for a living and also you need some reserves.

Looking forward to your next post =)
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      :spade: Be sure to beat the limit you are playing.
      :heart: Have backup money and a backup BR, if things go south.
      :diamond: Train regulary
      :club: Play atleast 6 month to see that you are beating your limit and can cashout
      :spade: Have atleast 100 bis per limit you are playing, and pref 100 bis in backup.
      :heart: Work on your mental game.
      :diamond: Have a scheulde to follow, just to get the structure.
      :club: Get a skype poker pal at the same limits that you are at, pref a little bit higher!
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      Sorry for my slow reply guys!

Originally posted by everyoneissolid
      first + in :f_p:

nice post, where is the next one?

solid structure and goals, even though I think you should aim higher.
      $1000 should be more than doable within 6 month, if you are running with 4bb/100 (which is not that much when you include RB) you need to grind 100k hands to make $1k. If you keep increasing your volume you can make it way before December ;)

You already figured out the downside of monetary goals, I would recommend to set other goals, like beating NL50 until December or playing X amount of hands.
      Some might argue also against such goals but I think it is way better than monetary goals because your goal can pretty easily be crossed by variance, even though you are playing well.

I would strongly urge you not to become pro before you have beaten NL100 over samplesize. I guess expenses in the UK are pretty high if you grind really hard you can make a few thousand bucks a month on NL50 but I would not advise anyone to do that. Also you should have a at least 100 Buyins for going pro. You should not be forced to move down the stakes when you are playing for a living and also you need some reserves.

Looking forward to your next post =)
      Thank you for your kind reply everyoneissolid! :)

I definitely could aim higher but with limited time at the moment, I'll stick to my current results goal. Having monetary goals can be discouraging when losing but I've accepted that I may not reach the results goal due to variance, but it provides good motivation when I don't feel like playing.

Thank you for the advice as well, I will definitely take it into consideration. My current expenses are low (still live with parents :f_biggrin: ) and I've got some business schemes which I am currently pursuing so hopefully those will make me enough money to live on which would take a great deal of stress out of going pro.

Originally posted by Saren113
      :spade: Be sure to beat the limit you are playing.
      :heart: Have backup money and a backup BR, if things go south.
      :diamond: Train regulary
      :club: Play atleast 6 month to see that you are beating your limit and can cashout
      :spade: Have atleast 100 bis per limit you are playing, and pref 100 bis in backup.
      :heart: Work on your mental game.
      :diamond: Have a scheulde to follow, just to get the structure.
      :club: Get a skype poker pal at the same limits that you are at, pref a little bit higher!
      Wow Saren113, that's a great list of goals!

I feel like I've done pretty well regarding most of these over the past 10 days. I've just took heed of your advice and tried to re-group my previous Skype pals.

Time for a review of the previous 10 or 11 days!

Make $1,000 by December 1st, including rakeback.
      Made a little progress towards this goal which is good. However, I've been making too many big mistakes for my liking, which is definitely something I need to work on. I've just realised that this relates to my biggest weakness (-EV bluffs post-flop), which I definitely to work on.

Over the first three months, steadily increase from 7,500 to 15,000 hands per month.
      I was doing alright with this goal until I started implementing a more aggressive 3-bet/4-bet/5-bet strategy, which lead me to more difficult situations post-flop which I played terribly due to many -EV bluffs. This caused me to lose confidence, and now I'm back to playing 1 table.

I'm not very confident with my post-flop decision-making at the moment, which is a little worrying but I think I'm letting fear get the better of me. Whilst it is early days, I still have a win-rate of 7BB/100 over 20K hands which indicates I must have at least some skill post-flop.

However, I feel like I'm unable to explain why I choose certain decisions over another. I will definitely look to spend some time improving my confidence by reviewing previous hands and determining the correct post-flop plays.

Commit to studying tactical theory for 4 hours per week.
      I have not been able to put down Applications of NLHE after I started reading it the other day. Even though I'm only playing the microstakes, it's extremely interesting to see how GTO players think and act. I think it best that I start working on this now, so that when I make it up to NL100+, I'm a little more prepared than most.

I'd recommend this book to anyone and everyone! The pre-flop section alone has proved this book was a solid investment!

Find and eliminate my biggest C-game error: many -EV bluffs post-flop.
      I've done well to find my c-game error (was previously unknown) but I haven't really done much to resolve it. Recognizing the error obviously has allowed me to remind myself of this big leak before I play but I feel like I could do more.

As I've previously mentioned, this will be getting looked at more closely this week.

Consistently work hard on my mental game.
      Spent some time studying confidence which was a little beneficial but I definitely need to re-cap some chapters of the TMGP.

I also constructed a tilt profile, which has proved useful in allowing me to realise why I tilt. My most common type of tilt is losing tilt. If I don't win enough or even worse, lose a lot, then I feel like I'm not making progress to my results goal (make $1,000). This would cause me to change my strategy and I'd end up playing losing poker, which ironically, actually slows down my progress towards said results goal.

Interestingly, I've started using knowledge learned from TMGP to provide insight into real life situations. This has re-sparked my love for psychology and I look forward to continuing to use the information learned from this great book.

I actually saw another book which has been released which talks about the emotion in poker. I can't seem to find it at the moment, but it looks to be another informative read.

Another thing about my mental game is that I've stopped using the process model 100% of time. However, I do use it nearly all the time, but still room for improvement.

Other things to note:
      I don't focus enough whilst I play.
      Recently, I've realised that I don't focus on enough information whilst I play. I'm a little embarrassed to admit but the only information which I use 100% of the time is my cards.

When I'm playing my A-game, I make use of opponent types, stack sizes and most importantly hand ranges. However, it's a little worrying to recognise that I don't think about these when I'm playing my C or B games.

Due to this realisation, I'm creating another goal:
      • Add another item (opponent type) to my realistic focus list.

It feels good to review my progress, and now I know what I need to do in order to improve. Good times! :s_cool: