DNYiancu

• DNYiancu
      DNYiancu
      Basic
      Hi there, my name is Daniel, I live in Romania and I'm 22.

I started to play cash games at NL5 2 months ago after being a s&g/mtt player because i realized that I suck at posflop play and because I want to have a more flexible schedule.

I want to read all the articles from NL strategy and now I am taking this course as a part of it. I'm also reading The mental game of poker and started playing and analyzing after the process model.

My goal is to make online poker my main income source during UNI years(I still have 3 years to go).

Thank you!
  • 9 replies
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hey Daniel,

Great idea to join the beginner's course! It will certainly help you out :)

Best of luck!

Kind regards,
      Tino
    • DNYiancu
      DNYiancu
      Basic
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I want poker to become my main income source during UNI years.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I fell that I'm struggling with handreading and postflop play. And I tend to be very automatic when I play and forget to read the stats sometimes. Another one is that even if I know i'm beaten I call just to prove myself that i'm right.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

It means to play strong starting hands preflop and to try to be the agressor postflop because it's better to put pressure on your opponents than to be the one under pressure.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by DNYiancu
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I want poker to become my main income source during UNI years.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I fell that I'm struggling with handreading and postflop play. And I tend to be very automatic when I play and forget to read the stats sometimes. Another one is that even if I know i'm beaten I call just to prove myself that i'm right.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

It means to play strong starting hands preflop and to try to be the agressor postflop because it's better to put pressure on your opponents than to be the one under pressure.
      Hi Daniel,

Congrats on the first homework.

Handreading and postflop play are a more advanced part of poker and as you gain more experience and utilize the resources provided by PokerStrategy you will become much better at them.

Keep up the good work,

Bogdan
    • DNYiancu
      DNYiancu
      Basic
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I flat call AK facing UTG open from very tight players.
      I open with pocket pairs from everywhere when i'm fist in. What about UTG positions here?
      with JJ and AQ I sometimes 3 bet
      with AQ I open even from UTG and sometimes flat call in position vs at least MP open and not very tight villain .
      with AJ and KQ I open starting from MP and even with limpers before.
      Suited face cards and KJo I open from hijack also depending how loose are the players after me.
      In late positions I open wider when the blinds are nits or have big F to CB stat.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

I don't get it very well with flat calling, 3 bets, 4 bets and blind defending. In more detail:
      when is it ok to flat call in position or 3bet with hands like AQ,99-JJ, AJs, KQs?
      When to call or 3 bet when I'm in the blinds with broadways, suited connectors, suited Aces or pocket pairs?
      When to 4 bet because I usually 4 bet only with AA, KK sometimes AK and QQ but I get tons of folds and I feel I not get enough value?

hand 1, hand 2, hand 3, hand 4, hand 5, hand 6

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

46.32%

Thank you very much for helping!
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Daniel,

Congrats on homework #2. It's now complete.

Q2:

The questions you are asking are very broad but a lot of the answers revolve around the players you face.

For example, AQ would be a bluff 3-bet MP vs UTG (regular) while it could be a value 3-bet BB vs BTN (either reg or fish).

I generally don't recommend 3-betting 99-TT at the lower limits unless it's versus a short stack and u want to stack off. Same with KQs. JJ falls in the about the same category as AQ.

You want to 3-bet the strong hands for value and call the rest as long as villains are not too tight. Avoid calling too much blinds versus early position.

I would say that you want to stay away from 4-bet bluffing too much at the low limits. QQ+, AK is usually a good range for 4-bet for value although in some cases you can't even 4-bet QQ or AK for value.

Best of luck at the tables,

Bogdan
    • DNYiancu
      DNYiancu
      Basic
      what about question 1 answers? any sugestions?
      and by the way I am playing NL 10 already.

Thanks again!
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by DNYiancu
      what about question 1 answers? any sugestions?
      and by the way I am playing NL 10 already.

Thanks again!
      Congrats on playing NL10 already.

Your question 1 adjustments are good for the time being.

As far as your question goes I would still open pairs UTG as long as there are weak opponents at the table (and we almost always have weak opponents at 10nl).
    • DNYiancu
      DNYiancu
      Basic
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?

preflop:50.78% postflop: 26.46%

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

I would call here because we have the right pot odds (4:1) for hitting our flush.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

I sometimes struggle with river calls or bets and with folding marginal holdings like overpair and top pair to semi heavy action.
      And what about Cbeting in 3bet pots, does it plays by the same rules as normal cbeting?
      Which is the best line to take when you hit a set oop when you didn't have the initiative preflop?

hand 1, hand 2, hand 3, hand 4

Thanks!
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi DNYiancu,

Congrats on finishing homework #3.

Re: And what about Cbeting in 3bet pots, does it plays by the same rules as normal cbeting?

What rules are those? Generally speaking it depends on the player , board, our position and hand.

Some hands may be a cbet in a regular pot but not in a 3-bet pot versus a tight range

Re:Which is the best line to take when you hit a set oop when you didn't have the initiative preflop?

In most cases, when you don't face complete passive guys, you want to check. On wet boards we go for more ck/raises while on dry ones we slow play.

Best of luck at the tables,

Keep up the good work.