Superbrain

• Superbrain
      Superbrain
      Basic
      How to use this board Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator Go to the top of this page

Here you will find some guidance on how to make best use of the Locker Room.

1) Create a thread with your name as the title
      All you have to do in order to become a member of the NL Beginners Course is to create a thread in this forum with your PokerStrategy.com username as the title. This will then be your Private Learning Thread, in which you will keep track of your progress during the course, and much more.

noted

2) Introduce yourself
      Not only for politeness' sake, it also make sense to introduce yourself so that the coaches can help you better in your development as a poker player. You can include information like which limits you play, and what experience (if any) you had with poker before.

start with $5 in pokerstars in Jun 13 and play 0.01/0.02 NL, further info see this link: Hi from Hong Kong

3) Post your homework
      This is the place you will be posting the results of your homework in. Simply copy-paste the questions from the lesson in a new post, and post your answers. When you have to post a hand for evaluation, or you have evaluated somebody else's hand, you do it in the Handevaluation Forums. Once you do that, simply post a link to that thread/post in your Private Learning Thread in the Locker Room. This is to ensure that the coaches will have all the information in one place, and don't have to go looking for it.

noted

4) Communicate with your coaches
      Your Private Learning Thread is an excellent opportunity to ask the coaches for guidance on a specific problem, or ask them if you do not understand something in a lesson/video/homework/coaching.

my specific problem is: how to find coaches?
  • 30 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello Superbrain,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

What do you mean by: "my specific problem is: how to find coaches? "

For example, I am the coach that will be helping you with your beginners course journey (and beyond).

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • Superbrain
      Superbrain
      Basic
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

after home from work for leisure

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

i don't know, i think that's a weakness

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

risk based approach. select premium hands to focus resources on.

How to submit your homework:
      Just post your answers in your private thread in the Locker Room. If you haven't yet created a thread with your name in the Locker Room section, please do so now as you will need it to submit your homework.

If you'd like to know more about posting hands and our hand evaluation boards, watch this tutorial video.

noted
    • Superbrain
      Superbrain
      Basic
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)

it depends on the skills of other players. comply or explain principle, i deviate from rules where i can justify my action from a third party perspective.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

not really. preflop is just to build an image of playing style. more profit comes from how you use that image to induce your opponents into making mistakes

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

46.32%

How to submit your homework:

Post your answers in your private thread in the Locker Room. If you haven't created a thread with your name in the Locker Room yet, please do so now as you will need it to submit your homework.

If you'd like to know more about posting hands and our hand evaluation boards, please watch this tutorial video.
    • Superbrain
      Superbrain
      Basic
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Hello Superbrain,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

What do you mean by: "my specific problem is: how to find coaches? "

For example, I am the coach that will be helping you with your beginners course journey (and beyond).

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
      Thank you, your honour. I will use this thread to communicate with your highness.
    • Superbrain
      Superbrain
      Basic
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)

preflop equity 50.21%
      postflop equity 26.46%

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

obv call. 0.91:0.22, pot odds justified calling nut flush draw, which will hit 25% of the time.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1387
    • Superbrain
      Superbrain
      Basic
      Lesson 4

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop. (Post your hand in the Hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)

0.01/0.02 Aj

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users.)

nl10 - QsTs

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

Board: 8:heart: J:spade: 9:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }
    • Superbrain
      Superbrain
      Basic
      Strategy: NL Beginners Course - Lesson 5

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents. (Post your hand in the Hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)

(2 hands) button steal & JJ overpair

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users first.)

K9s deep OOP

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (7-handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($8)
      MP2 ($9)
      CO ($10)
      Hero($10)
      SB ($10) (17/13/2.6/24/1212) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      BB ($10) (27/9/2.0/29/333) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6Diamond , 7Diamond
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3Diamond , 3Heart , TDiamond (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) JDiamond (3 players)
      SB bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

Voluntarily Put $ In Pot
      Pre Flop Raise
      aggression factor
      Went to showdown

SB is tight. on this turn card, I will raise his bet x3 for value and fold if reraised (since flush could be beaten on a paired board).

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (8-handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($8)
      MP ($10)
      MP2 ($9)
      MP3 ($6)
      Hero ($10)
      BU ($10) (25/21/3.8/26/1250) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with JHeart , JSpade
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU 3-bets to $1.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.30

Flop: ($2.75) 6Heart , 9Spade , TClub (2 players)
      Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

chk raise all in. numbers suggest BU is v aggressive, I will check to give the impression that I missed w/ AK kind of hands and raise to charge max for draws.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Superbrain
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)

preflop equity 50.21%
      postflop equity 26.46%

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

obv call. 0.91:0.22, pot odds justified calling nut flush draw, which will hit 25% of the time.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1387
      Well done so far with your home work assignments.

Make sure you allocate enough time between lessons to be able to really absorb the material (And of course to put it in practice).

If you have any specific questions that may or may not be related to the homeworks please post them here.

Best of luck,

Bogdan
    • Superbrain
      Superbrain
      Basic
      Thank you for your guidance. I will follow.

Watched these videos so far:
      » Lesson 1: About the course and PokerStrategy.com
      » Lesson 2: Preflop Play and Poker Maths Basics

very useful information available on this site!
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Thank you for your guidance. I will follow.

Watched these videos so far:
      » Lesson 1: About the course and PokerStrategy.com
      » Lesson 2: Preflop Play and Poker Maths Basics

very useful information available on this site!
      Indeed. There is a lot of information to be found here. You just need to take/make the time to digest it all and then apply it to your game.
    • Superbrain
      Superbrain
      Basic
      balance update: $27.09 (start with $5 in pokerstars in Jun 13)

hide hole cards helps my game lately but then i also run above average
    • Superbrain
      Superbrain
      Basic
      Learning curve update, I watched these videos over the weekend:

» Lesson 2: » Hasenbraten's Crushing NL50 - Part 1
      » Lesson 3: Post-flop and hand analysis

hasenbraten put in a lot of heart in preparing them, I enjoy the videos very much, much appreciated.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Keep up the good work and updates.

When you watch a video do you take notes?

If you don't I definitely recommend starting to do so.

Best of luck,

Bogdan
    • Superbrain
      Superbrain
      Basic
      Keep up the good work and updates.

When you watch a video do you take notes?

If you don't I definitely recommend starting to do so.

Best of luck,

Bogdan
      Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule and respond to my thread!

Good read. I never take notes! But even if I do I doubt I will ever read them again! However, I do try to equip the knowledge and put them to test on poker table.

I really treasure the opportunity to meet hasenbraten and all you great people in this space (internet) and walk of time in life. It's karma!
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      You can always try to start small and take some "major" notes about lines you want to try.

Most videos are long and you will forget parts of them.

It's very similar to attending college/university. You attend classes but the students that take notes are usually the ones that have the best performance.
    • Superbrain
      Superbrain
      Basic
      balance update: $27.09 (start with $5 in pokerstars in Jun 13)

hide hole cards helps my game lately but then i also run above average
      balance update: $47.69

KKs holding up against rubbish, sets beat draws, not too many QQ v KK or KK v AA types of hand - good run still.
    • Superbrain
      Superbrain
      Basic
      You can always try to start small and take some "major" notes about lines you want to try.

It's very similar to attending college/university. You attend classes but the students that take notes are usually the ones that have the best performance.
      Thank you for your perspective. I will bear that in mind.

btw NL Beginners Course - Lesson 4 vid "Who is your opponent - NL5" is not available to us free members?

I tried to watch the preview but that it seemed the entire vid had been removed from youtube.

on a separate note, balance update: $59.81

I had two hands w/ KK against AA and lost full stack ($5) each time. Also played bad in a hand where i had JJ and lost a dollar sth to 87 (not charging enough for draws).

some losses, some wins, but all is well.
    • Superbrain
      Superbrain
      Basic
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $3.00
      BU:
      $0.68
      SB:
      $5.35
      BB (Hero):
      $4.98
      UTG2:
      $2.48
      MP1:
      $2.00
      MP2:
      $0.79
      MP3:
      $2.31

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6, 5.
      CO posts deadblind, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, MP3 folds, CO checks, BU folds, SB raises to $0.04, Hero calls $0.02, MP2 calls $0.02, CO calls $0.02.

Flop: ($0.16) 6, 5, K (4 players)
      SB bets $0.02, Hero raises to $0.26, MP2 folds, CO folds, SB raises to $0.50, Hero raises to $1.50, SB calls $1.00.

Turn: ($3.16) 7 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3.44, SB calls $3.44.

River: ($10.04) 4 (2 players)

Final Pot: $10.04.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, sixes and fives(6 5).
      SB shows a pair of kings(T K).

Hero wins with two pairs, sixes and fives(6 5).

Feeling the joy of a full stack today! :f_love:
    • Superbrain
      Superbrain
      Basic
      Learning curve update:

I watched these videos this week:
      "» Lesson 4 " under "NL Beginners' Course - Lesson 4"
      "» Lesson 5" and "» Crushing NL50 - Part 2" under "NL Beginners Course - Lesson 5".

Will start lesson 6 assignments and videos in the coming week.

Thank you for your perspective. I will bear that in mind.

btw NL Beginners Course - Lesson 4 vid "Who is your opponent - NL5" is not available to us free members?

I tried to watch the preview but that it seemed the entire vid had been removed from youtube.

on a separate note, balance update: $59.81

I had two hands w/ KK against AA and lost full stack ($5) each time. Also played bad in a hand where i had JJ and lost a dollar sth to 87 (not charging enough for draws).

some losses, some wins, but all is well.