Csdan

• csdan
      csdan
      Bronze
      Hi all, just signed up yesterday and did some of the basic stuff and quizzes. Hoping to make the 7pm live coaching session today if I can get through the material in lesson 1 first.

I currently play 2nl on pokerstars and have just over 10,000 hands with varied results, currently in a bit of a low swing but determined to study hard and rise up through the levels.
  • 9 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, csdan
      Welcome to PokerStrategy.com !

I'm glad you're getting settled in, and taking part in the coaching sessions etc.

Be sure to browse the videos and strategy articles too!

Best of luck,.
      --VS
    • csdan
      csdan
      Bronze
      Thanks!

Homework 1:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I think it's something I could actually be good at and I have determination to study hard and succeed. Financial freedom is the ultimate goal for me. It's also a fun way to spend time with my friends.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      I have a habit recently of calling people when I know I probably shouldn't 'just to see'. It's helped a little as I get to see what they had and prove my suspicions, but the hit the bankroll takes outweighs it and affects my play.
      I also need to get better at value betting as I'm not winning enough money when I have a hand. In the last couple of weeks I've gone from a break even/good player to a losing player.
      I'm getting a grip on the tilt now and have cut the habit of keeping track of my bankroll whilst playing.

This hand for example Flopped nut straight

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Tight aggressive to me means picking your spots well to exploit weakness in others and punishing them for mistakes as much as possible. Disciplined starting ranges are important but flexibility plays a part too I think. Especially when you have a good read on a weaker player.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by csdan
      Thanks!

Homework 1:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I think it's something I could actually be good at and I have determination to study hard and succeed. Financial freedom is the ultimate goal for me. It's also a fun way to spend time with my friends.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      I have a habit recently of calling people when I know I probably shouldn't 'just to see'. It's helped a little as I get to see what they had and prove my suspicions, but the hit the bankroll takes outweighs it and affects my play.
      I also need to get better at value betting as I'm not winning enough money when I have a hand. In the last couple of weeks I've gone from a break even/good player to a losing player.
      I'm getting a grip on the tilt now and have cut the habit of keeping track of my bankroll whilst playing.

This hand for example Flopped nut straight

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Tight aggressive to me means picking your spots well to exploit weakness in others and punishing them for mistakes as much as possible. Disciplined starting ranges are important but flexibility plays a part too I think. Especially when you have a good read on a weaker player.
      Hi Dan,

Welcome to the course.

Homework #1 is now complete. Congrats !

You can slowly fix your habit of calling people just to see what they have as you improve your hand reading and player profiling skills (and this course should help with that).

Best of luck,

Bogdan
    • csdan
      csdan
      Bronze
      Homework #3:

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      I would take into consideration for all hands what position a call or raise has come from, along with how aggressive/passive the player is. I'd also open a bit wider from the CO and button. AK is suggested to raise whatever has happened before, but if there are raises and reraises in front of me I'd be inclined to either call or fold.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      Are there any obvious bet sizing tells to look out for preflop? Like players min raising likely being strong etc.

Here is my hand for evaluation. Good spot to squeeze?

PokerStars - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 7 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BB): $2.47
      UTG: $1.32 (VPIP: 15.19, PFR: 3.16, 3Bet Preflop: 5.00, Hands: 160)
      UTG+1: $0.97 (VPIP: 17.91, PFR: 10.45, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 69)
      MP: $0.59 (VPIP: 19.05, PFR: 9.52, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 22)
      CO: $0.85 (VPIP: 22.58, PFR: 12.90, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 32)
      BTN: $1.13 (VPIP: 22.58, PFR: 6.45, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 32)
      SB: $2.64 (VPIP: 47.37, PFR: 10.53, 3Bet Preflop: 8.33, Hands: 19)

SB posts SB $0.01, Hero posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has A:club: T:heart:

fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.04, SB calls $0.03, Hero raises to $0.12, fold, fold

Hero wins $0.12

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      %46
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Dan,

Congrats, homework #2 is now complete.

Q2: Given BTN min raised and SB just called it's a good spot to squeeze. SB looks to be a big fish so the secondary value comes from us being able to isolate him and playing HU, IP with initiative vs him.
    • csdan
      csdan
      Bronze
      Here are my answers for homework 3:

Question 0: Download and install the Equilab.
      Couldn't do this as I'm on a mac. I found something similar in pokertracker though just yesterday so I'll be making use of that from now on. I also have a simpler version on my android phone which I use when playing live if I'm unsure of something.

Question 1: You are holding K:spade: Q:spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3 :diamond: 3 :club: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J :spade: 5 :diamond: 3 :spade: ?
      I have preflop equity of 50.43% vs. 49.57%. It changes on the flop to 23.46% for me vs. 73.54% for the set.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A:club: J:club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 2:club: 6:diamond: 3:diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5:club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

In this position I would definitely call. It's likely BU has hit a set or straight on the turn with 44. I'm getting pot odds of 4.13:1 which is slightly less than the required odds but I think it is ok because he is only left with about 70c after I call so he is likely to go all in on the river regardless of whether it is a club or not. Is this a good example of implied pot odds working in our favour?

EDIT:Just realised that I got the BU and BB stacks mixed up so now I am not sure whether I'd be able to get a call on the river with a value bet.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      5NL T8s flopped flush
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi csdan,

Congrats on finishing the 3rd homework.

Given you have a hidden draw and straights rarely fold (at those limits) you should be able to get a river value bet from your opponent.

Best of luck,

Bogdan
    • csdan
      csdan
      Bronze
      Here are my answers for homework 4:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.
      PokerStars - $0.05 NL - Holdem - 7 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: $5.88 (VPIP: 36.36, PFR: 7.58, 3Bet Preflop: 5.26, Hands: 68)
      UTG+1: $3.58 (VPIP: 24.53, PFR: 16.98, 3Bet Preflop: 7.14, Hands: 53)
      MP: $11.35 (VPIP: 68.49, PFR: 4.11, 3Bet Preflop: 7.32, Hands: 74)
      CO: $9.19 (VPIP: 11.49, PFR: 8.05, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 87)
      Hero (BTN): $5.30
      SB: $5.14 (VPIP: 4.62, PFR: 1.54, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 66)
      BB: $6.14 (VPIP: 5.71, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 35)

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has K:club: K:heart:

fold, fold, MP calls $0.05, CO calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.25, fold, fold, MP calls $0.20, CO calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.82, 3 players) 4:club: Q:spade: K:diamond:
      MP checks, CO checks, Hero bets $0.45, fold, fold

Hero wins $0.79

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.
      Here

Question 3: You are on the flop with K :spade: Q :diamond: . The board cards are J :spade: , 9 :club: , 8 :heart: , and your opponent holds 7 :club: 7 :heart: . What is your equity in this spot?
      KQ holds 41.41% equity in this spot versus 58.98% for 77. Worked out using the equity calculator in PT4
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi csdan,

Good job with the homework #4.

Q1:

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: I think you played this fine. If the fish, MP, has anything he will call there and considering all broadways have a piece of the board I think your bet is fine.

On a board like K82r where nothing really connects checking back to let them hit a piece or bluff is better.