SSD question

• hitter09
      hitter09
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'd like to get a really fast SSD(80-120gb) for HM2. Can anyone tell me which brand is the best for it?
      Could you write some specific examples you are actually using and are really satisfied with?
  • 6 replies
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      One of the fastest afaik is the Samsung 840 Pro. Obviously it's also the most expensive.

The best compromise (aka, bang for buck) I found for those who need speed was the Crucial M4. That's the one I got after researching a ton.

Example I'm using. For poker, PT4 is lighting fast with it. Not more stutters going through graphs, hands, reports. Put your OS into it and turning your computer on and off will be much, much faster. Internet browsing is also much faster.

I tend to put slow applications into the SSD, the ones (such as Skype) that used to stutter a bit to load. Now it's instant. Office is also in this category, since I deal with documents a ton. Everything else is still on the old HDD.

Of course gaming is also a plus if you do that. I have a thing for simulators, rFactor and Arma 2 being the ones I play the most. The difference of putting them into an SSD is absolutely ridiculous.

If you use the computer a lot, you won't regret it.
    • ferdy81
      ferdy81
      Bronze
      What I check first is usually tomshardware guide for general info and then some other forums through goggle for comfirmation. When I was buying, Crucial M4 was also the best price/performance solution for what I needed.

What I learned through forums and recommendation is not to put too much value on a synthetic benchmarks tests, since they are no big value/difference in real applications. Sure you can tweak a lot and build some raid 0 setups to catch top performance, but I guess this is not your primary target. Just choose something in your price range and you can't miss much.
    • TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      How much would I be looking to spend on one of those? Preferably a 40-60gb one?

Thanks
    • hitter09
      hitter09
      Bronze
      Thanks for the answers. And what about Kingmax SSD SATAIII 2,5" KM120GSMP35? According to the specifications it seems extremely fast.
    • kennethjeu
      kennethjeu
      Bronze
      I have a 840 pro, insanely fast and as far as I know one of the most durable SSD's around there. Because you will use the SSD for a lot of writing and rewriting, I would go for durability over speed. Those things are so fast you won't even notice the difference of 10-50MBps... I had a Vertex 2 be4 this one, was known as not the most durable and it broke on me after 2 years. So now I went for a bit more durability :)

just my 2 cents ;)
    • hitter09
      hitter09
      Bronze
      Thanks for your answer, you've convinced me, I'll choose the samsung pro :)