Its Happened Again!!

• dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      Another day another blog...

I've been thinking of starting a new blog for some time now. Not because I have anything particularly interesting to say, but rather that I've actually gotten quite good at the pokerz over the last 6 months or so.

I've been thinking a lot more about the game and it would be nice to have a place to put my thoughts down perhaps with feedback from others.

My Poker Journey So Far

Started playing poker freerolls when I was 17 on pokerstars and won some cash to play real money sngs with. Done the usual move up in stakes too quickly where I ultimately ended up broke.

4 years of this misery led me to apply for a stake at crushthedonks where I was actually taught good discipline and strategy. I was playing $7 6max games and decided I could do it on my own so I ended the stake.

Moved to $15s, ended up in the top 20 players profit wise on sharkscope this year, which from a player who was playing $3.50s in January, I think is really good. :D

What stakes do I play?

Mostly $15 6max turbo sngs. Mixing in $30s & $60s when games are soft.

Some Graphs

This Year :D

[img][IMG]https://img708.imageshack.us/img708/4647/ewq4.png[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

This Month :(

[img][IMG]https://img11.imageshack.us/img11/117/7zf.png[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Goals

Short term goals include:

Play 300 games per week
      Review 5 Regs per week (Super important!)
      Review all $30s played

Medium term goals:

I'm going to Ibiza in September. This means two things:
      1. Withdraw my roll and be broke when I come back
      2. Build a big bankroll in two months, enough to play the $30s
      (Approximately $3000 profit needed)

Long Term Goals:

Achieve Supernova this year
      Have sufficient roll for $100 games (7.5k)
      Consider a push for Supernova Elite either 2014 (unlikely) or 2015.

Well that's all I have to say for now. I will try to post graphs weekly and share my poker thoughts if and when they come to me.

Thanks for Reading...
  • 20 replies
    • unris
      unris
      Bronze
      Hello, i wish you enjoy your time when you will be in Ibiza (great place!)
      Your graphs are too small to see. You have to choose bigger dimensions
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      Thanks i cant wait! :)

Yeah i realised that, any idea how to fix?
    • ipreferflops
      ipreferflops
      Basic
      gl, i will follow
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Good to see you writing things down. Will follow the blog - gl with your goals and try to table select 15s (avoid me if possible) :P
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by dogma18
      Thanks i cant wait! :)

Yeah i realised that, any idea how to fix?
      I had a look at the links you used to post your images

They look like the thumbnail images, not the main ones.

When you go to imageshack, find the links and copy the one labelled "direct link" and try to edit your original post to use that link.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IvicaIliev77
      Good to see you writing things down. Will follow the blog - gl with your goals and try to table select 15s (avoid me if possible) :P
      Thanks man!.

I haven't played with you in a while actually, 15s are so soft anyways but if you sit with 3 regs i wont sit for sure :D
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      Thanks for your help Vorpal :D
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by dogma18
      Thanks for your help Vorpal :D
      np I'm glad I guess right :D

Cheers,
      --VS
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      While studying what I thought was a good reg's game today I realised something which I think is quite important.

When marking players I usually mark them Passive Fish, Aggro Fish, Fish Reg, Bad Reg and Good Reg. This helps with table selecting where I mostly avoid games with 2 or more Good Regs unless there are passive/aggro fish in the games as well.

I was studying a reg who I had previously marked good after he made a spewy call on the bubble. I did this by first sharkscoping him and then comparing his hud stats to other good players as well as mine and trying to find ways to exploit his game.

The problem with good regs is they generally play quite unexploitable, usually having around 18-28% vpip's and pfr's with decent 3bet vs steal stats indicating that they play a good aggressive game. This reg had similar stats but his sharkscope results were average, with an roi of 2.5% over a large sample. I had to identify a reason for this or whether it was just because he was making spewy bubble calls.

What I found was to me anyway, quite interesting. The only stat he had different to other good players was a low fold to 3-bet, something around 35% with better players usually having around 60ish%. As he is raising a wide range, but folding less, he will overplay his hand in certain spots and so I can gain an edge by simply playing hands which dominate his range whilst holding back on making thin resteals. Of course this proves that the reason he is winning less is because of his spewy calls but it allows me to differentiate him from other good regs in future I have now added an average reg option for those decent regs who can't fold to a 3bet and it correlates quite strongly with Sharkscope. That is, the previously marked good winning regs with 2-3% roi's are missing out in a few %'s of roi simply because they aren't folding enough to resteals.

I think having an extra marker for these average regs is useful especially when table selecting and it also shows the power of a hud. I had in total 18 regs to add to this category and each of them had good but fairly mediocre roi's and just because they don't fold enough to 3-bets.

Feedback on these thoughts would be appreciated!!

Anyway, that's my thought process for today done and at the weekend I hope to post some results :D

Thanks for reading...
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      In 5-Card Draw I recently discovered that I had the lowest F23Bet stat of any of the players I had more than 500 hands on.

Wow.

I then checked my NL stats, and there too I found I carry on far too often.

So often when calling 3Bets pre-flop I ended up folding to CBet.

So why call in the first place.

Well spotted.

Best of luck!
      --VS
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Sounds like you are approaching analyzing part of the game from the correct angle. I am sure you will gain edge over regs this way long term, you just have to keep doing this as often as possible. Assume you are playing 30s and 60s where regs are better on average and more importantly, good ones will adjust and keep re adjusting to your plays. So all in all, if you just create one game plan vs a good reg, he will find a way how to use that to his advantage and exploit you in another way. In the end you will probably end nashing each other or avoiding in the games but keep up the spirit and good work!
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      I'm having an awful month so far. I'm actually really pleased with how I'm playing, I just cant seem to gain any momentum and string winning sessions together. I guess it serves me right for setting profit goals of 3k before 10th of September.

The only thing to do now is keep studying, keep trying to improve my game and plugging my leaks. I have found myself being more aggressive as of late which I think has benefited my game a lot and made me unpredictable. The problem with some regs is that they don't 3bet a wide enough range and are therefore very exploitable. I've done this myself in the past as in micro stakes it is usually more profitable to just play your cards as players don't fold enough. At $15s and $30s however you need to be playing back at regs a lot more if you want to be the best and win the most.

I think the best thing that has improved my game is looking at how the other best regs play and trying to play in a similar way. There is obviously a reason why they are winning 5 figures at the end of the year at $15s, so trying to play like them seems a good idea.

Results This Month So Far

I'm something like $900 under ev which is really disappointing. All I can hope for is that it will turn around. I need to lift $2500 from my roll for Ibiza spending money which will leave me with around $200 as it stands. Hopefully before September I have at least $1500 so I can continue at the 15s, I'm confident I will have this.

[img][IMG]https://img809.imageshack.us/img809/6830/l47.png[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Good luck at the tables!...
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      I've been playing hypers the last few days mainly because I need to grind like crazy to get platinum star this month. I've noticed a few things that have made me think about making a big change to the games that I play, that is dropping turbos and playing hypers permanently.

As someone who takes poker seriously the two most important things to me as a sit n go grinder is game availability and hourly.

I'm going to compare both hypers and turbos to see which would be the better game to play in the long term.

Although traffic is generally good in the 6 max format on Pokerstars, hypers have a clear advantage when it comes to traffic. You never have to wait longer than 30 seconds at the $15 level for a game while in tubos it might be as much as 5 minutes at off-peak hours. This might seem all and good but the downside to hyper traffic being so good is that game selection is hard and you wont have time to unreg if 3 regs sit at once. Of course with more traffic overall, this leads to the $15s hypers being a lot softer than the turbos, so game selection is less important.

Now onto hourly. This will get a little wordy but I'll try my best to explain....

My Holdem Manager average duration for turbos this year over 6000 games is 25.5 mins and 12 tabling these makes each game worth 2.125 mins of my time over the long term. I'm therefore on average completing 28.2 games per hour. Playing 28.2 games per hour with a max roi of 10% means my hourly will be $42.30 for turbos over a large sample. This is the assumption that I 12 table continuously and maintain a 10% roi which is debatable.

Now onto hypers. Over a somewhat small sample of hypers this year of 400 games my average game duration is 9mins with 9 tabling making each game worth 1 min of my time. With 60 games per hour and a max roi of 5% my hourly will be $45 over a large sample. Again with the assumption that I can maintain a 5% roi and 9 table continuously which is debatable. Another point to factor in is that as I am playing a little more than double the amount of hypers per hour than turbos this means i'm raking slightly more which will help towards my supernova goals.

The main point I would like to make is that the $2.70 difference in hourly is actually huge. I've played 350.2 hours of poker from January to the end of June this year and if I'd played hypers instead I could have earned $945.45 just from the increased hourly. That's almost $2k extra per year or 133 buyins!! I also earn on average 167 vpps per hour playing turbos whilst I could earn 195 vpps playing hypers meaning rakeback will also be higher.

So obviously after working all this out It would be in my best interest to move to hypers and I will play them this month to reach platinum star and see how it goes as I don't have much experience with the format. I'm making a lot of assumptions about achievable roi's and game duration for hypers so my post does lose credibility but it just goes to show the importance of finding ways to maximise your hourly be it, adding tables, game selection, changing format or working on your game to improve your roi.

Anyway thanks for reading if you did and feedback would be great!!

Good luck at the tables :f_biggrin:
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      Well I must admit I was feeling very down about what happened this month poker wise. I was running 1k under ev and the only positive was that I had made platinum star for my mega grind I've planned in August.

I decided to play some tourneys to take my mind off sngs and well, I ran like god!!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Month Graph

From doom and gloom to happy :)

So all in all, I avoided being a rakeback pro and ended up with a decent profit for the month :s_cool:

Run as good as me, I dare you! :D
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      So after my 2.4k win at tournaments at the end of July is was determined to play more of the same and see if tournaments are the way to go. Naturally it went bad.

Weekly winnings: -$1122

The positives I have gained from my huge loss this week is that although tournaments give you a great chance of boosting your bankroll, you can go on dreadfully long losing streaks and you need a big bankroll to cope with the swings. I've decided to play tournaments on Saturdays and Sundays every two weeks with a max of $150 in buyins per week. This gives me a chance to hit a big score but also protects me from the huge swings I experienced this week.

SNG-wise things are going ok. As my bankroll had a big boost, I began the week playing mostly $30s but when the losses were compounded I moved to $15s and actually got decent volume by the end of the week. I've been experimenting with 18-tabling and I think I can manage ok if it wasn't for the massive lag that my laptop has running HEM, TN and Stars. I've been thinking of solutions such as to get staked for a while and use my bankroll to buy a laptop. This is the one i have in mind:

http://store.sony.com/laptop/SVS151290X%20Standard/SVS151290X-Standard/en/vaio/8198552921666495151
      (With SSD of course)

The problem is the only staking deal I could get is a 55/45 with split rakeback and I feel if i put in decent volume this month, i might be able to afford it without a stake.

I've also set up the sng sensei on Tableninja which I have used in the past and its helped me with my volume goals. The timer is really good and coupled with the increased tables i'm finding it a lot easier to hit 100 sngs per day. My long term volume goal is to reg for a 2.5 hour session during the day which will last around 3.25 hours and then at night when traffic is better reg for 3.5 hours. This will hopefully get daily volume to 150 games.

Because of the terrible week I have had, im sticking to $15s and my main goal is to: PLAY 500 GAMES

Volume goals are easy!
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Nice MTT runs :)
      I don't suggest playing SNGs and MTTs , it will shift your focus especially if you are 18 tabling.
      When it comes to hypers, I used to play them in past year about 20k + games I believe and we coach one player in our group for them (he is currently at 2.75 and 5.5 microgaming). I will tell you what I tell everybody, hypers are only for people who have very solid ICM and knowledge of ranges and how to adjust !
      In general people call wider than nash in hypers which will drastically change your bubble shoves. I suggest you switch to them only if you plan to chase SNE as it becomes worth your time and nerves. There will be huge swings in them, you can't calculate your hourly so easy like in turbos simply because edges are much smaller and variance is bigger. I was considering going for SNE next year playing hypers but the way things look now is I will go for SN 300k+ instead playing turbos 15-30-60s with positive roi. Don't forget that stars is making changes to turbo lobby by the end of this year all in hope to bring more recreational/fish pool to tables - so we might see increase in traffic on 30s and 60s which can also potentially allow you to go for SNE.
      Best of luck with your work and results :)
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      Had a very positive week of poker. Made my 500 game volume goal and also topped BOP leaderboard.

Week Graph:

[img][IMG]https://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3917/l13i.png[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Nice little 6.5 ev roi which is solid enough 12 tabling without table selection.
      Also ordered my new laptop with the profit made which makes me very happy.

Here are some specs:

[img][IMG]https://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5665/xmwf.png[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Goals for this week are somewhat similar.

500 Games
      Play BOP Shootout
      Play Tourney schedule on Sunday
      Save bankroll to play at $30s

@IvicaIliev77

Thanks for the input. I agree that hypers have huge swings and I've also been looking on forums, reading blogs of hyper grinders and I'm kinda starting to think they are a tough game to beat. Having a +roi at $60s and above seems to be possible only for the very best so I'm definitely gonna stick with turbos for the time being.

Just going to finish this post with saying I started with a challenge to make $3k profit so that I didn't have to withdraw my bankroll when I go on holiday to Ibiza in 4 weeks time. I'm happy to say even after spending £1078 on a new laptop, my liferoll is at £1600 so plenty for a holiday. :f_biggrin:

So my new long term goal is to focus on building my poker roll to have another serious shot at the $30s. I've been working specifically on postflop play and I feel that with this improved area of my game my chances of success will be higher.

Good luck at the tables!
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      It was a great month overall in terms of profit but volume was seriously lacking. My need to drink myself to sleep at the weekends is seriously affecting my poker so my new goal is to cut down nights out drinking to twice per month.

One big problem with this goal is I'm going here
      [img][img]http://s21.postimg.org/9v9j1kr13/index.jpg[/img] how to use print screen[/img]
      in 10 days so obviously that is a write off. But I will not be drinking any other times in September hopefully.

Real life is going well. I had joined an amatuer football team at the start of July and fully expected to play for the b team as I haven't played properly since i was 16. Somehow my performances have impressed and I'm now starting on the A team so really happy. We are in a tough division and are fully expected to get relegated especially as we lost two key players so it will be a hard year but it is good to be playing again.

Monthly profit

Game profit: $1689.88
      Rakeback and bonuses: $1090.07

Total profit: $2788.95

Graph:
      [img][img]http://s16.postimg.org/f6501s4p1/month.png[/img] free upload[/img]

Really pleased with profit and looking forward to putting in some hard work before my holiday.

Good luck at the tables!
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      Crushing!

Took a little shot at $30s, running at little over 100% roi so swwweeeet!!

[img][IMG]https://img543.imageshack.us/img543/7945/67hu.png[/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]