[NL20-NL50] NL50 AJs SBvsBB in 3bet pot. River overbet?

• AchillesBG
      AchillesBG
      Silver
      Prima, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $68.65 (137.3 bb)
      CO: $72.94 (145.9 bb)
      BTN: $97.01 (194 bb)
      Hero (SB): $74.18 (148.4 bb)
      BB: $72.43 (144.9 bb)
      UTG: $50 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J:diamond: A:diamond:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, BB raises to $5.50, Hero calls $4

Flop: ($11) J:heart: T:diamond: 3:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $6.75, Hero calls $6.75

Turn: ($24.50) J:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks

River: ($24.50) 4:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $32.50

Anon. table. I forgot his stats, but he was normal TAG.

Peflop? His sizing is big and perhaps folding is better?

Should i raise the turn if he bets again? If i call, should i lead the river, because he might check back an overpair?

As played, i think overbetting is fine? He is not calling a bet with his overcards, but he will probably call with Tx or an overpair.
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey A,

Preflop is close given the sizing but BvB you should beat his 3betting range so unless you think you get owned because you don't know how to approach postflop, calling is OK.

Postflop, I would start with check/call flop when you have TPTK so nothing to change there. On the turn, once he checks that card he has overpair or he gives up imo. Now for the river the question is will he vbet his overpair often enough if we check and look like QTs type hand or maybe vbet some Tx himself, maybe bluff some bluffs he initially gave up on or will he be more likely to call a bet from us. I think overbetting is a sure way to make him fold here. I think we look too much like Jx when we check/call flop and it's super hard to rep a bluff when we use this line.

I think the 2 options are bet a normal size that can be perceived like Tx, maybe QQ, AK that didn't 4bet pre and now doesn't know what to do and second is to check again. I prefer checking again, he will think about bluffing his KQ, AQ, AK when you check again because you still float flop with Tx, 88, 99 type hands in his view and he doesn't beat all A high.. he would also vbet overpairs imo since most trips would be perceived to lead the river.
    • SariyskiS
      SariyskiS
      Bronze
      How do you suggest we play AKs, AQs and KQs in that spot?

I kind of like the overbet river with my whole range here.

I'll be happy to see him fold Tx, AK and AQs when I bluff and bluffcatch my value range with QQ+.

I guess I'm not getting bluffed by AK either and don't see QQ+ call a check/shove river.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      My 'problem' is that when we overbet, AQ is equal to AA so he should not fold any bluffcatcher if we do it too often. I prefer having a check/raising range, for example a hand like T9s we call sometimes OOP and ofc we cannot call, same with maybe QTs.. AK, AQ is also close and probably about the same category as Tx because we should win at showdown reasonably often and when he bets he just pot controlled QQ+ and now we cannot really call but if he doesn't vbet, we usually win.

I would prefer leading some QQ, KQ, a few Jx hands because we expect him to bluffctach some AK, Tx and overpairs but also expect him to fold hands like A3, A4, AQ that since now we rep more combos of value hands and we are less polarised than when we just overbet.

Keeping in mind how deep we are, we could also play a hand like 99, 88 like this so we have more hands to think about. It depends on your preflop hand selection but I dislike overbetting when it makes it easy for the opponent to snap fold his air and call his bluffcatchers, unless your range is purposely constructed for that.