**slayerv1fan belated 2mil VPP chase!**

• slayerv1fan
      slayerv1fan
      Bronze
      See post 5 for the intro, I wasn't bronze+ status when I created this thread so none of the images worked. Sorry!
  • 41 replies
    • slayerv1fan
      slayerv1fan
      Bronze
      No idea why the links aren't working, I've posted literally thousands of them on 2p2 w/out a problem. Will fix if I can figure it out
    • acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      Hey man, you have to be at least bronze here to be able to post images.

Sick thread btw! Gl!
    • Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      Nice introduction!

Will be following!
    • slayerv1fan
      slayerv1fan
      Bronze
      Oh thanks guys, appreciate the help. I tried to edit the OP of the thread, but when I took out the images and put them back in, they didn't work. So I guess I'll just post the introduction again LOL

Hi everyone!

My name is Joshua Hoesel and for those who don't recognize my PS sn, I'm jdawg91 on 2p2 and have a very well followed PG&C thread there. I am a SNE on PS, playing mostly 6max hyper turbos $60+.

Before getting into my belated 2mil VPP chase this year, I'd like to give a bit more background about myself as this is my first post on pokerstrategy.

I'm 22 years old and am originally from Belvidere, Illinois which is about 1 hour north of Chicago. I was living in Las Vegas when Black Friday happened and as I had just turned 20 years old and therefore couldn't legally play live poker in LV, I went home for a while and grinded super turbos on Merge, won a good amount of money, and then relocated to Rosarito Beach, Mexico, November 1st, 2011.

I've been living in Rosarito since and have watched it explode to be the biggest expat poker community around. I live in a nice 2 bed/2bath condo right on the ocean. The condo building I live at has its own beach, gym, 4 pools and 4 jacuzzi's, along with many other amenities. This link has some pictures I took of my place when I first moved in.

And here are a few pictures of my grind setup:

Last year, I achieved SNE playing $60-200 6m hypers. Most of my VPPs came during a late year chase where I finished ~700k VPPs in ~4months starting August 14th, 2012. Below is my 2012 PS SNG graph and then my 2012 Merge SNG graph

Unfortunately, 2013 has not gone that well thus far. I started off the year being pretty lazy, same as in 2012, and then I've run really badly in the volume that I have put in. I moved up to $300 and $500 6m hypers when they were finally deployed by PS, although now I'm back playing solely $60-200s. Below is my EV graph on the year coming into July, quite the bad run I've had as I'm nearing $100,000 under EV!

And hypers by stakes:

$60s:

$100s:

$200s:

$300s:

$500s+ (some $714 hyper sats, some 500/1k/2k 6m turbos)

THE CHALLENGE:

I decided about a week ago that I was going to push hard to get 2million VPPs for the year, even though I'm now playing lower stakes than I was earlier in the year. It's pretty doable as long as I focus and put in the hours. Coming into the challenge, I was going to need to put in ~8800 vpps/day, taking into account 1 off day per week. Thus far, I've kept with that pace and think it should be smooth sailing for the rest of the year as long as I don't fall behind.

I'm gonna cut this post here as it's already quite TL;DR, but I look forward to posting updates and also getting to know some of the posters on pokerstrategy that don't post on 2p2!

VPP Count: 757,344.16

And as a final, here is a video that I took at the end of 2012 of me mass tabling 6max hyper turbos. I end up playing up to either 25 or 26 tables (I think, it's been a while since I took the video), which is what I do day in and day out. I think the video doesn't actually start until around the 22 second mark, not sure why the delay is in there

And I was also the guest on the initial sitngogrinders.com podcast, that podcast can be listened to here. The interview with me starts at 32:30
      Jdawg91 podcast

Thx and gl to everyone on the tables!

Josh
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      welcome to pokerstrategy jdawg! ive been following you and ruse's thread on 2p2.

are you gonna give away freerolls here also? - dwyt84 on 2p2 hahaha
    • ipreferflops
      ipreferflops
      Basic
      Gl - subbed
    • pbijvoet
      pbijvoet
      Bronze
      GL, subscribed!
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hey Joshua,

Welcome to the forum!

Very nice blog, will be following this as well! glgl :)

Regards,
      Tino
    • Andyuk18
      Andyuk18
      Bronze
      Long time lurker of your 2p2 thread but i prefer posting here. Will be following, hope your luck turns around soon because that graph is :rage:
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hi slayerv1fan

Welcome from the Gibraltar HQs - nice to see you around here!
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Welcome Josh!
      We spoke on facebook , great to see you here man.
      Hope you will achieve your goals and crush those stakes!
    • belthazorrrr
      belthazorrrr
      Bronze
      :s_love:
    • slayerv1fan
      slayerv1fan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Phgrinder
      welcome to pokerstrategy jdawg! ive been following you and ruse's thread on 2p2.

are you gonna give away freerolls here also? - dwyt84 on 2p2 hahaha
      Heyoooo, that's a sn I recognize haha! Yea, I think my next freerolls I offer, I will offer on here. Should be on Tuesday or Wednesday as the current one I have going on 2p2 ends on Monday.

Thx to everyone for the kind words thus far ITT, much <3! Still need to check out the site more as I really haven't ever been on here, hoping to get all my volume in today by 4pm (3:34AM right now), so maybe can do some of that tonight when the volume is in.

About to get my day started, been on a new schedule since starting this late 2mil run; but trying to optimize the grind lately and am hoping to do something like this starting today...

3am: Wake up
      3:30-5:30am: 2 hr sesh
      5:45-6:30am: Tennis outside/short workout
      7am-4pm: 2-3 2hour sessions with 1 hr breaks in between
      ~4:30pm: Dinner with cozzy/ruse/other rosarito bro
      6pm-8pm (if home): 1 more sesh or just relax or workout, whatever I want
      8pm: Bedddd (flex)

Pretty funny that I'm going to bed between the 8 and 9pm hours, but hey, gotta do what ya gotta do to get the job done!

Anyway, gonna get started here as I'm already late on my first session, gl to everyone on the grind!
    • belthazorrrr
      belthazorrrr
      Bronze
      Teach my sleeping ass how you can sleep only 7 hours
    • slayerv1fan
      slayerv1fan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by belthazorrrr
      Teach my sleeping ass how you can sleep only 7 hours
      Haha, my advice is the same as what sippin_criss and quadchrazs basically said, just have to wake your ass up and get out of bed haha!

Honestly, I slept an avg of <5 hrs/night from my sophomore year in HS until I dropped out of college/university (<1 semester), so my body has been adjusted to not getting much sleep for a long time now. Now obviously getting <5 hours is probably not healthy, but I truly feel best when I get about 6 hours of sleep per night. It makes the grind a lot easier when you have so many extra hours in the day due to not sleeping :D :D

Forgot about the server restart, pretty tilting as it's gonna mess up my day a bit haha. Just going to skip playing tennis today so I can hopefully get in like a 1.5 hour sesh before 7am as I'm also starting to play the $265 KO every day at 7:15 AM and therefore will need to be grinding again by then.

Update to come at the end of the day, BoL to everyone on the tables
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      i saw how awice was able to turn around his downswing into a huge heater. i hope you catch that too. cant imagine grinding day in day out and be 100k below EV.

always been a fan of your mental skills and work ethic
    • Demonic226
      Demonic226
      Bronze
      Another long time lurker of your threads on 2+2 ITT :D

Amazing job you did last year with your late SNE push. And sick lifestyle you've got going there in Rosa :f_biggrin:

Do you mind sharing why you decided to sign up for Pokerstrategy as well?

Good luck with SNE2x, will be following.
    • dangermowse
      dangermowse
      Silver
      You got exact same mouse I had. Watch out, after 2-3yrs it started double clicking from just one click which as you can imagine saw double all-ins going down DDD:::: (and it's generally not fixable)
    • slayerv1fan
      slayerv1fan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Phgrinder
      i saw how awice was able to turn around his downswing into a huge heater. i hope you catch that too. cant imagine grinding day in day out and be 100k below EV.

always been a fan of your mental skills and work ethic
      Yea, I'm hoping the same thing haha :) . I mean I sometimes get sad about being so far under EV and it affects my grind, but I haven't had any of those days since deciding I was going to get 2mil vpps. I think that having a real goal with an action plan that is reasonable/works just auto gives me a ton of motivation and then the DS doesn't bother me...can't get the EV back if you dont grind anyway!

Originally posted by Demonic226
      Another long time lurker of your threads on 2+2 ITT :D

Amazing job you did last year with your late SNE push. And sick lifestyle you've got going there in Rosa :f_biggrin:

Do you mind sharing why you decided to sign up for Pokerstrategy as well?

Good luck with SNE2x, will be following.
      Tyty, haha yea def could be a whole lot worse off. Unfortunately living it up has left me with not a lot of money, especially after having part of my own action to start the year and snap going on a huge DS. But meh, #YOLO I spose :D .

I decided to sign up for pokerstrategy specifically just to put this thread up; I talk to lessthanthreee/cjbridle1 a bit and he has a well followed thread on here and decided that there would be enough of an audience (both 2p2 posters and others outside of 2p2) that would make this fun.

I love my thread with Ruse on 2p2, but the thread is a big clusterfuck (which is why I love it), but the goals have just changed quite a bit since the beginning of the thread/year; having this thread with this specific challenge and the goals/grind plan/etc being listed right here on the first page I think will just help keep me on track for the rest of the year. I'm gonna try to update both threads daily, obviously there will be a lot of overlap for posters who read both.

And, it should go without saying that I partially did this just to broaden my horizons WRT networking. I'm always working on my 'brand,' as it can be very valuable in the future and could possibly help get a sponsorship or something like that somewhere.

Tyty, gl to you too!

Originally posted by dangermowse
      You got exact same mouse I had. Watch out, after 2-3yrs it started double clicking from just one click which as you can imagine saw double all-ins going down DDD:::: (and it's generally not fixable)
      Oh damn, I've had this one for about 2 yrs now, so will have to watch out then for sure.