This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 FR ZOOM AJ river

• Quadzzzzzzz
      Quadzzzzzzz
      Bronze
      Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.05(BB) Replayer
      SB ($7.46)
      BB ($4.38)
      UTG ($4.09)
      UTG+1 ($3)
      UTG+2 ($2.43)
      MP1 ($4.94)
      MP2 ($5.02) 15/12 1.4AF 56%cbet
      CO ($9.75)
      Hero ($8.81)

Dealt to Hero A:diamond: J:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, fold, MP2 raises to $0.15, fold, Hero calls $0.15, fold, fold

FLOP ($0.37) J:heart: A:heart: T:heart:

MP2 bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.60, MP2 calls $0.40

TURN ($1.57) J:heart: A:heart: T:heart: A:club:

MP2 checks, Hero bets $1, MP2 calls $1

RIVER ($3.57) J:heart: A:heart: T:heart: A:club: Q:diamond:

MP2 bets $3.27 (AI), Hero... ?
  • 7 replies
    • adasko99
      adasko99
      Silver
      FLOP:
      bet more, something like $ 0.80 or more - you dont wanna give him good odds to call with a Flush Draw

TURN:
      good :)

RIVER:
      he? what do you mean? :P shove man! happy days!! - after what happened on previous streets, villain by betting the River gives away strenght. he will often have weaker full house and will pay you off - merry christmas time :f_thumbsup:
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Flop: Raising is overplay here. There's a possible straight and flush. Unless villain is very bad, I don't think you should be raising here. What do you do if villain 3-bets the flop? I would be extremely unhappy if that happens.

As played, the rest of the hand is fine. River is a fist pump call as you beat flushes as well as KX straights.

Thanks.
    • adasko99
      adasko99
      Silver
      oh yeah, I did not notice villain shoved AI himself :f_ugly:
      call call call all day long and if once every 1 million years he shows you K :heart: Q :heart: - you are still laughing cuz you made profit in this spot anyway even if you loose once or twice in your whole carrer haha :f_biggrin:

What do you do if villain 3-bets the flop? I would be extremely unhappy if that happens.

hm. If you take into consideration the chances for your opponent to FLOP a flush or have KQ for a FLOPPED straight - I would have been pretty happy to stack off here tbh :f_biggrin:
      the chances for that are pretty slim.

in the long run, probably ~ 7 out of 10 times our Top Two Pair will be the best hand (or even more)
      plus we have outs against his very rarely flopped straight and flushes anyway.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      even if something doesn't occur too frequently, do you think villain is 3-betting a range of hands that AJ beats on average? I don't really think so.

I think it's overplay for sure vs a solid opponent.
    • adasko99
      adasko99
      Silver
      I'm a bit confused here.
      When did the villain 3bet us in this hand?
      He just raised preflop ,did a flop CBet and JUST called our flop raise.
      I can see a lot of flush draws , straight draws and Ax all over his range
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      he does not 3-bet, but it's a situation which we have to consider. And you did say you would jam vs a 3-bet.

In many situations when you are considering whether to value raise a hand or not in a particular situation, you need to decide how you are going to react vs a re-raise. And if the answer is "not sure" or "fold", then often you should avoid raising in the first place UNLESS you are sure that

1. You will get called by a TON of worse hands
      2. You are CRUSHED by villain's re-raising range

Example: Fishy player opens with a wide range, we 3-bet JJ/AQ for thin value and he 4-bets. In most of these situations, fishes usually call with a wide range but they usually 4-bet only strong ranges. Thus we have an easy 3bet/fold with JJ and AQ

Vs most regulars with well-balanced ranges, I don't like raising something for value and then folding to a re-raise. You might as well not have raised in the first place.

And as mentioned previously, I don't like the idea of raising top two on a 3-straight 3-flush board.
    • adasko99
      adasko99
      Silver
      thanks for your reply.
      I totally agree with what you said about planning and 3bet/folding / bet folding etc.
      The only difference with my opinion is that I don't mind to stack off TPtk+ on a flop with possible made flush or straight in a HU pot heh :f_biggrin:
      I always think how rarely my opponents will actually already have it. often they will stack off with draws, so i guess is it's a high variance play but still profitable...