• 21 replies
    • Cardbender
      Cardbender
      Bronze
      not me
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Me neither. But I would like to quit at least one of my part time jobs and earn the money by playing poker instead. The pay sucks anyway so this is not entirely impossible IMO.
    • Urbanen
      Urbanen
      Bronze
      It would be nice. I hate my job!.
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      ME :D But I'm a student, so I do it instead of my ex-weekend job. I get enough to pay for the essentials(smokes, alcohol, travel etc.) And it's about 4x more than I made with my job :D
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dippy19
      ME :D But I'm a student, so I do it instead of my ex-weekend job. I get enough to pay for the essentials(smokes, alcohol, travel etc.) And it's about 4x more than I made with my job :D
      basically the same with me
      it's a lot more rewarding than the summertime/part-time jobs here in bulgaria :)
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Nope, I'm still studying - but after this year, there's a good chance I'll take at least one year to give pro poker a shot; I'm sure I'll enjoy the lifestyle, and I think i can handle the swings, especially if I have enough in the bank (and that's a must-have; I won't go pro unless I have 2-3 months worth of living expenses on the side, at least)..so.. read my blog in 10 months or so ;)
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      Originally posted by finchybg
      it's a lot more rewarding than the summertime/part-time jobs here in bulgaria :)
      nope - can't agree ;)
    • Agiz19
      Agiz19
      Bronze
      you should never quit your job because of poker to be depended on something that is not 100% guaranteed every month. You have to at least pay the bills:)

I take poker for something like a monthly bonus and its fine. Even If I won 500k on badbeat jackpot or tourney i would still do the same things and work maybe i would take longer vacation and FOUND a new JOB if I hated it as somene wrote.

So keep playing good poker and have a goos job also.
    • CimkoPro
      CimkoPro
      Bronze
      i red chris ferguson's question/answer thread on ftp website and he said if you want to be living out of poker you quit your job only when you start making more money from poker than with your job you can quit :)
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by Agiz19
      you should never quit your job because of poker to be depended on something that is not 100% guaranteed every month. You have to at least pay the bills:)
      Guaranteed? :)

- Let's make some stupid mistake and you'll be fired..
      - Let's f**k boss's wife and you'll be fired too..
      - or just you'll get new boss who doesn't like you...
      There's nothing guaranteed and if you don't agree.. god defend you :rolleyes:

Do I have something guaranteed, when I start my own company? There's something like indeterminate future and you must accept it. It's up to you how you deal with that, but please don't say you're depended on something "100% guaranteed every month", because it's far away from reality.

Originally posted by swissmoumout
      I won't go pro unless I have 2-3 months worth of living expenses on the side, at least
      6 months should be minimum I think..
      Maybe even 12 but it depends on how many hands do you play per month: it could sound weird but more you play, the less money you need on the side (= faster recovery from downswings, promotions, rakeback etc.).
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      exactly the same here :)
      with exception I have to pay rent and for car :/
    • thedahl
      thedahl
      Bronze
      I just think it is cool to do something you love and make a few hundred bucks doing it. Poker isn't work.
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by opal99

You are so wrong. If you work for someone you are guaranteed to get paid. 100%. Even if you get fired you still get like 1 month to find other job and you are guaranteed to get paid for that one month. Then after that one month if you still dont have new job government will pay to you some money.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by Grimzor
      You are so wrong. If you work for someone you are guaranteed to get paid. 100%. Even if you get fired you still get like 1 month to find other job and you are guaranteed to get paid for that one month. Then after that one month if you still dont have new job government will pay to you some money.
      OK, if that is what you believe and what you like I have nothing to add..

// just not for me
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Personal experience Opal? :D
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Grimzor

I think that depends on the country that you're living in ;)
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Personal experience Opal? :D
      not really..
      It was just an example ;)

btw: why should one keep his job (I'm talking only about money) if he's able to earn 3x more while running below expectation.. here are some requirements (as I set them for myself) to go "pro":
      - to have sufficient bankroll for limit I play (800 - 1000 BB)
      - 2/4 is the lowest limit I can make money => I need to play 5/10 (with 1k BB) to feel comfortable // going down one limit won't harm me too much (doesnt matter if it was due to downswing or to get some confidence back)
      - be able to play several hours per day, 5-6 days a week, no matter how good/bad I do (this one is the most important & probably the most complicated one)

and btw2: There's big difference between playing live & online as pro. Promotions can keep your budget in green numbers even you're on long-term downswing and this is the most important thing one must realize. Earning $2.5k per month just from bonuses is not so unrealistic and it's independent on results (40k hands @ FL 5/10 SH = 2.5k). I didn't want to say that living just from bonuses is the way to go (1BB/100 h @ 5/10 is much more interesting :) ), but it's quite important fact :)
    • Agiz19
      Agiz19
      Bronze
      Opal You need to grow up a little that what you said it has no sense go f..k your bosses wife and open your own company and you'll see what suffer really is. You think when youll open a company youll have every month guaranteed cash or I should say the next day youll be rich. LOL - that is even harder because there is 90% chance that youll be broke or barely survive the first half year. Or never even make it. Go study economics it will open your eyes.
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NRGBlaze
      Originally posted by finchybg
      nope - can't agree ;)
      For me - it was. Of course there are some very well paid jobs like a chef and such, but the most common jobs like selling food and beverages or souvenirs don't get so much money. Besides, I have played an average of less than 2hours/day for the 90 days but when working it's a lot more.