Stand back!... I’m going to try science [microDoN]

• whatsuup
      whatsuup
      Bronze
      TA-DAM

about me

Hello everyone. My name is Kostia. I am from Russia. I’m a student, have recently been conferred with the Bachelor’s degree in Electronic Engineering. Currently I am planning to apply to PhD in EE to a dozen of US universities beginning form Georgia Tech and Berkeley and down to some universities in top 100 EE PhD courses in the US. Currently I am working as an engineer for National Research Institute. And also I moonlight for LinguaLeo.com as a grammar courses writer.

I’ve taken up poker while a freshman, was playing BSS NL5 and then decided that it takes too much of my precious time, hence gave it up after some feeble attempts to suppress microlimits. So right now I am planning to begin it again, but I do really hope that apart from intelligent satisfactory it will bring me some money in the long run. Since in my opinion the easiest way to have a head start is to play DoNs, I am going to try playing 1$ 6max (perhaps FR as well, but in my view they are more boring) DoNs at Poker770. If I get on and things go well I am planning to try MTT as well since it appeals to me as well. So far I do not want to make any deposits since I have free 7.7$ on Poker770 (iPoker).

what is the purpose of this blog?

The purpose is to carry out an experiment: whether setting monthly goals and trying to achieve will make any contribution to my success. I guess it is worth trying. Not only will I be able to share my results with the rest of the community but also I expect you to criticize me as well (in moderation, of course :D ). I am going to post the most “expensive” hands and figures of bankroll volume vs time.

what am I hoping to have enough stamina and diligence to do?

Well, I am hoping that I will have enough will-power to post the most important hands here after each sessions and situations where I am puzzled or at a loss what to do in the Hand Evaluation section.

what do I want you to do?

Frankly writing), I would be glad if you will make any remarks, give advice or just support me if I am depressed. Perhaps, if you see my play in dynamics you would tell me what I should work harder on and reveal any leaks I have.

OK, I’ll get it started right after I will make an attempt to pass TOEFL iBT (ACET in Touro University, Moscow, 11am MST)

PS: But I will also post some thoughts, observations and news about my PhD applying.

PS#2: Since I learn English as well, if you spot any English mistakes, please let me know…thanks beforehand)
  • 121 replies
    • whatsuup
      whatsuup
      Bronze
      So at first, I’d like to ask you: do we have any information on DoNs available for bronze status?? I didn’t find any…(
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Kostia, welcome to the community!

First, I edited your post because we prefer our members to use the community tool to make first contact. We do this for our member's privacy and safety as you can probably guess.

So, you're hoping to go to America for your PhD, very nice indeed! I hope you get out of it what you want and make it a great success, but you probably will from what you've said already anyway. :s_cool:

I couldn't find anything about DoNs, but I'll ask around and see if someone can help out ok?

Meanwhile, if you need any further help just ask and we'll see what we can do for you.

Have fun,

Mal.
    • whatsuup
      whatsuup
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gadget51

I couldn't find anything about DoNs, but I'll ask around and see if someone can help out ok?

Meanwhile, if you need any further help just ask and we'll see what we can do for you.

Have fun,

Mal.
      Ok, thank you))
    • whatsuup
      whatsuup
      Bronze
      I've just come back from Moscow... that is a beautiful city. It is totally different from where I live - Smolensk: skyscrapers, lots of immigrants, people who possess iPhones, iPads, iPads-mini...

but unfortunately I guess i didn't score 105 X( on my TOEFL iBT...so it seems like I need to wait 10 days for the official results and, retake it. But until that moment I will have been practicing doing Reading section which is the most complicated in my opinion
      I've also been to the EducationUSA center in Moscow who announced the Opportunity Initiative program I want to participate in.

[INVALID EMAIL]

Speaking of the poker I presume I am going to do the following:
      1.) play 10 tournaments per day
      2.) post hands both here and in hand evaluation section
      3.) obtain the silver status
      4.) maintain my DoN-playing skills by watching videos about DoNs in Russian since there is no such content in English

BTW, I have a question.. how to convert tournament hands? you see, I do a right click on a hand in HM2, click copy

and the paste in hand converter on PS but it won't work, even though that work or cash...
    • whatsuup
      whatsuup
      Bronze
      DAY 1
      good session: 13 tournaments played, 3 lost, 10 won = +4.4$=+3.7 Buy-ins

хостинг изображений gif
    • whatsuup
      whatsuup
      Bronze
      DAY 2
      good session as well: 13 tournaments played, 4 lost, 9 won = +2.4$=+2 Buy-ins

хостинг изображений gif
    • whatsuup
      whatsuup
      Bronze
      Congratulate me!!!)) I've scored silver status) yep...
    • immot
      immot
      Bronze
      Originally posted by whatsuup
      BTW, I have a question.. how to convert tournament hands? you see, I do a right click on a hand in HM2, click copy

I use handconverter to get hands to forum format: http://www.handconverter.com/
    • whatsuup
      whatsuup
      Bronze
      DAY 3
      good session (3rd in row): 12 tournaments played, 4 lost, 8 won = +1.6$=+1.3 Buy-ins

• whatsuup
      whatsuup
      Bronze
      DAY 4
      unlucky day X( : 10 tournaments played, 5 lost, 5 won = -2$=-1.7 Buy-ins

• whatsuup
      whatsuup
      Bronze
      what do you think of this hand, folks?
      $50/$100 No Limit Holdem
      iPoker
      5 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG ($850) 9bb
      CO ($1,930) 19bb
      BTN ($3,343) 33bb
      SB ($1,590) 16bb
      whatsuup (BB) ($1,287) 13bb

Pre-Flop: ($150, 5 players) whatsuup is BB 9 A
      2 folds, BTN raises to $300, 1 fold, whatsuup goes all-in $1,287, BTN calls $987

Flop: 7 4 2 ($2,524, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: 3 ($2,524, 2 players, 1 all-in)

River: 8 ($2,524, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: $2,524

he was 24/18/3.0
    • whatsuup
      whatsuup
      Bronze
      DAY 5
      great session: 11 tournaments played, 1 lost, 10 won = +6.8$=+5.7 Buy-ins

• highyeah
      highyeah
      Bronze
      gg whatsuup
      I'm also a "DON on winner/fifty50 on ps.com" player and i see that you're running pretty good in those DON
      In which room are u playing now coz i'm looking for joining a room under pokerstrategy in order to get some strategy points :s_biggrin:
    • whatsuup
      whatsuup
      Bronze
      hey highyeah!!!)
      I am currently playing at poker770 (Poker) which has a huge rake 20%..so I wouldn't advise to play here. I am also looking for a "good" poker room for DON which would be a partner of PS. do you know some?
    • whatsuup
      whatsuup
      Bronze
      DAY 6
      that was an unlucky day( during 5 tournaments I got cut off from electricity ;( : So -6.4$=-5.3 Buy-ins
    • highyeah
      highyeah
      Bronze
      Originally posted by whatsuup
      hey highyeah!!!)
      I am currently playing at poker770 (Poker) which has a huge rake 20%..so I wouldn't advise to play here. I am also looking for a "good" poker room for DON which would be a partner of PS. do you know some?
      The rake is really huge. I registred in poker770 and didn't like it (lost my bonus coz of 3 bad beats AA craked to 85 X( ).
      I think that there are some hyperturbo DONs with less rake maybe you should try them.
      I'm also looking for a good poker room for DONs.

Gl in your tables
    • whatsuup
      whatsuup
      Bronze
      DAY 7
      unlucky day: 14 tournaments played, 7 lost, 7 won = -2.8$=-1.3 Buy-ins
    • whatsuup
      whatsuup
      Bronze
      Originally posted by highyeah

I think that there are some hyperturbo DONs with less rake maybe you should try them.

hell, no! that's a bad idea! such tournaments are like a raffle: once you get started... there is already a push/fold stage. Doesn't make any sense..imho)

good luck at tables to you too)man
    • whatsuup
      whatsuup
      Bronze

and now time for the week report: within the first seven days the results are following:

WEEK 1: +2.9$=+2.4 Buy-ins

what I would like to change in my game:
      1.) post my hands in evaluation section on the forum: so far I find myself too busy to convert them all. But I must realize that it is worth my time and may improve my skill

what I like about my game:
      1.) concentration and focus: I guess I am not taking wrong many actions because I am deep into the game...while I am playing, I always trying to to my best.

All in all I am satisfied with the way i am playing DoNs so far... I guess if I post at least the most questionable hands and keep watching videos about DoNs I will succeed)