Can poker players get credit cards??

• football123
      football123
      Basic
      I'm 20 years old and I play poker for a living. Outside of poker I've had one other job and I only worked it for 5 months. I know I should probably start building credit, but when they ask what your job is they tend not to want to give credit cards to poker players. Wanted to see if anybody who plays full time without another source of income has been able to get cards.
  • 9 replies
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      you do know you can get a creditcard through moneybookers or neteller, right?
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Actually moneybookers doesn't have a credit card.
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      The NETeller and Skrill ones are prepaid mastercards which isn't what op is looking for.
    • Quadzzzzzzz
      Quadzzzzzzz
      Bronze
      It's horrible that as a student (UK) I can get a credit card no questions asked but if you play poker for a living they are going to be pretty reluctant.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      You could always start of with getting Store Credit Cards to build credit ratings, doubt they'll turn you down as they can have small limits anyway.

So many stores have them now, just pay it back in full and no problem :)

It may also be worthwhile to go visit your local bank and discuss it in person, see what options there are, they may even give you a small allowance of £500 or so, just use it for Bills, Food, Petrol, Clothes, Junk Food etc, use it on EVERYTHING! I think you can also withdraw money from them or maybe even deposit into Poker Sites, but not sure (Maybe even be fee's for withdraws). Just be sure to pay it back in full each month, after a few months go back into the bank and ask for your limit to be increased and do the same.
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      I am not really familiar with the bank creditcards. but why would you need one and why is it important to build credit?
    • football123
      football123
      Basic
      I more than likely won't play poker for the rest of my life just because there's other things I'd like to do even though I'd probably take a pay cut. Also if I wait when you're in your late 20's it's difficult to get a credit card if you have no credit history.
    • inoimbluffingdou
      inoimbluffingdou
      Basic
      I know I am gonna sound like your parents here but a credit card is just gonna get you into trouble. If you want a prepaid card, well that's easy - and available. You want money to spend? Make it and use your own, borrowing from the bank is a financial trap..
    • MichaelGotAA
      MichaelGotAA
      Bronze
      If you live in the UK Football123 you will be able to get a credit card regardless of your income (a sad fact but true). You probably won't be able to get one of the major banks cards but there are some that give to high risks like Vanquis (there are many others also) but, & its a big but, they charge a lot of interest. Usually well over 30% APR. So be warned.

However you are correct that having no credit history is a big problem if latter in life you want a car loan or a mortgage or some other sizable loan. Also if used correctly credit cards are very good. Anything you buy with them are covered with lots of extra consumer protection on the good you purchase.

This is the important part, you need to be paying of the balance in FULL. So only buy stuff you have the money for. Then pay it off straight away. Then you get the extra consumer protection & don't pay lots of interest. Do not buy stuff thinking you can easily manage the monthly payments ect. It will only be the start. Slowly it will build up & either get out of control or even if you manage to keep the payments to a reasonable level. If your income ever gets screwed up for some reason you'll be deep in the Sh#7.

So are you responsible with your cash? If like most of us your not its probably best you stay away & look to build your credit history another way.

Paying bills like cable tv/internet & telephone all help. If your living at home a cheap contract phone if you haven't already got one is a start.