Advanced NL holdem books

• football123
      football123
      Basic
      Looking for something that expands on some of the ideas in Skliansky NL Holdem theory and practice and Harrington on Cash games and introduces game theory and Nash equilibrium as it pertains to poker (I've just been reading a textbook on game theory and it's not at all optimal). I play mostly live so I'm not looking for anything tailored to online play. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.
  • 9 replies
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      I recently purchased Applications of No-Limit Holdem.

It discusses the game theory behind playing against your nemesis (an optimal player). It includes a lot of math to find optimal strategies.

It's extremely interesting and the stuff I've learnt in the pre-flop section, regarding 3-bets, has already paid for the book. I look forward to finishing the remainder of the book, it can be a little complex at times but is overall a great read/investment.

The nemesis is first discussed in The Mathematics of Poker book, so this may also be of some use.
    • football123
      football123
      Basic
      Do you have a link to a PDF or do you have to pay for it?
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      Had to pay for Applications of NLHE, it's relatively new.

Best investment regarding poker that I have made so far.
    • SherlockHolmes2ez
      SherlockHolmes2ez
      Bronze
      Originally posted by football123
      Looking for something that expands on some of the ideas in Skliansky NL Holdem theory and practice and Harrington on Cash games and introduces game theory and Nash equilibrium as it pertains to poker (I've just been reading a textbook on game theory and it's not at all optimal). I play mostly live so I'm not looking for anything tailored to online play. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.
      Check daniel negranu's books, they're excellent.
    • football123
      football123
      Basic
      Good call on the Janda book. Definitely is geared towards online play so far so it has helped my online game. I'm at the end of the pre-flop section now and that stuff probably won't be applicable to mid stakes live games, but I'm sure there's plenty in there that will be able to be immediately applicable to my live game.
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Isn't poker theory and mathematics the same for online and live? Don't see what could be different.
    • football123
      football123
      Basic
      Math is the same, but similar stakes online and live games play vastly different.
    • Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze
      What stakes do you play? I personally recommend Baluga Whale's Easy game...
    • football123
      football123
      Basic
      I mainly play live, play 200NL online and 1000NL live.