A little help chosing software and tools please? :)

• chuderz
      chuderz
      Bronze
      hey guys, im going to be at NL100 6-max with 50 buyins very soon and would really appreciate some help chosing software as ive never took tools seriously before. Im widening my poker experience now but need a little advice.

hold em manager 3 / poker tracker 4?!?!
      equalab?

some help would be really appreciated. thanks :)
  • 20 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there chuderz,

Moved this to a more appropriate forum for you ok?

Regards,

Mal.
    • chuderz
      chuderz
      Bronze
      NP bud :)
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      There are free trials available for both PokerTracker 4 and HoldemManager 2, we suggest that you download both and decide for yourself which software workflow you prefer. Only you can decide which workflow is best for your needs, luckily you have the ability to make the choice thanks to these demo versions. Good luck!
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      HEM 2 / OM (Omaha extension HEM) 2 are both MUST HAVES and they also come with a light weight version of Leak buster which can help improve play systematically.

Equilab IMO is the best for equity calculation and range comparison etc.

GL GL GL
    • Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze
      HM1>HM2

Equilab

Leakbuster is not worth it imo...

Which room are you playing in?
    • Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Itsnevereasy
      HM1>HM2

Equilab

Leakbuster is not worth it imo...

Which room are you playing in?
      Just out of interest. Why do you think leak buster is not worth it as I was seriously considering it.
    • ProfitsofDoom
      ProfitsofDoom
      Basic
      I've used Leakbuster quite a bit, and it definitely helped my game.
      I had more leaks than the Titanic when i started, so for me it was a no brainer. But for more advanced players if it can help identify even a few smaller leaks or things you aren't aware are problems it would probably help your winrate and likely pay for itself.
    • qaz87
      qaz87
      Bronze
      You have just to download both trials and see yourself.
      Use them for one month each and then you would know :D
    • capsize101
      capsize101
      Originally posted by qaz87
      True. Though I know several players that switched from HM2 to PT4 because of the bad performance and bugs.
    • Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ProfitsofDoom
      I've used Leakbuster quite a bit, and it definitely helped my game.
      I had more leaks than the Titanic when i started, so for me it was a no brainer. But for more advanced players if it can help identify even a few smaller leaks or things you aren't aware are problems it would probably help your winrate and likely pay for itself.
      That's good to hear as for the price it is probably a bargain for me, as after doing some basic analysis on HM it also showed I had been hit by an iceberg at some point. Can't say I'm too shocked but it will feel good to start plugging the leaks
    • kierantierney
      kierantierney
      Bronze
      I have only used HM2 myself. Got the low stake version throuh PS as it was very reasonable at the time. Yes there are a few of bugs with it. It's slow to load up on my machine and there have been a few crashes. But having a HUD is a must if you multitable or if you grind one area of poker. I got it cheap so I can't complain but Moshman PT3 so maybe?????
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      Originally posted by kierantierney I got it cheap so I can't complain but Moshman PT3 so maybe?????
      Collin Moshman uses PokerTracker 4, not 3 :-) 3 is the old version, Moshman is using our latest software.
    • 7h3r1pp4
      7h3r1pp4
      Bronze
      The pokertools I use are:

-Holdem Manager 2 (Yes with a big database you should have a good/fast pc)
      -Table Ninja 2
      -TableScan Turbo
      -Equilab (free :heart:)
      (-Sidekick :coolface: )

and for my use they are worth every dollar I spend on it.

I play Cashgame and SnGs only.

Cheers :f_love:
    • thehagistig
      thehagistig
      Bronze
      Hi all

I only play on a laptop( and not something like alienware) so which would people choose HM2 or PT4??

I had HM1 years ago, but stopped using it as it just slowed my pc down too much
    • ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rouvenownage
      Originally posted by qaz87
      True. Though I know several players that switched from HM2 to PT4 because of the bad performance and bugs.
      +1. HM2 was a terrible experience for me. Bad or no performance. Starting with PT4 was an euphoric experience.
    • Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thehagistig
      Hi all

I only play on a laptop( and not something like alienware) so which would people choose HM2 or PT4??

I use HM2 on a decent spec laptop, and it does take a little time for it to get into gear e.g. closing HUD options on an open table can leave you without being able to see your cards or even the betting buttons for a little while unless you grab the table and move it away from the slowly ghosting away tab.

Also, when I use to play speed on ipoker there was no chance of it working (pretty sure thats resolved now but probably needs a decent setup)

That being said I still love it. For a beginner, all the relevent options and pretty graphs are so accessible. Setting up your HUD, filtering and everything else you will need to get going is there and intuitive. I can't ever remember it crashing and there are great support vids.

I can't compare it to PT and perhaps I should really give the trial a go as soon as possible before I start really delving into stats incase I have to relearn how things work from scratch. After all I am trying to do things properly

From what I have read, the consensus seems to be that PT is recommended by more experienced players wanting to delve into the most obscure of stats or players simply fed up with delay issues, which really aren't a big deal for me. There has never been a problem multi-tabling with the HUD and for fun i might have a sneaky go on speed poker today to see if it now works.

Something I found interesting, not only because the guy is a bit of a legend to me (Collin Moshman) as it was his SnG book that was the first poker book I read that I could really get on with, which led to playing relatively successful SnGs at the micro level but saying that some buy-ins were £10+1, I imagine things are a helluva lot different now; but the first live coaching vid I got to watch on here last week was from the man himself and I remember PT4 coming up and perhaps the question was on a stat so obscure, I don't know, but I got the distinct impression from what he said that even he doesn't go into that much detail and couldn't answer the question and may have even still been using PT3 (correct me if I am wrong.) Maybe he is even a closet HM2 user!!! :D

Point being, if your starting out, don't listen too much to what others say, use the trials (which i didnt do) and use whatever is more appealing. Just because someone at the $100/$200 thinks HM is the spawn of the devil, you might love it. Or maybe ignorance is bliss. I should really try PT4.
    • Qubie
      Qubie
      Bronze
      Honestly, I have both for a while and I still can't say which one is best.
      Both are prety good at the time. PT4 was way better when it was released then hm2, but I can't say I see a big difference between the two now.

hm2 will always be slower to startup then pt4, but then again, you only need to to that once. Both packages have advantages over the other. And currently I use both (which is a little bit pain to reimport my hands in the other program) for different things.

Best advice is, don't listen to people who say "this or this is best".
      Try it for yourself.
    • 7h3r1pp4
      7h3r1pp4
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Qubie
      Honestly, I have both for a while and I still can't say which one is best.
      Both are prety good at the time. PT4 was way better when it was released then hm2, but I can't say I see a big difference between the two now.

hm2 will always be slower to startup then pt4, but then again, you only need to to that once. Both packages have advantages over the other. And currently I use both (which is a little bit pain to reimport my hands in the other program) for different things.

Best advice is, don't listen to people who say "this or this is best".
      Try it for yourself.
      ###

I use HM2 on a decent computer with a SSD and I never had any problems.

But yes try both and pick the one suits you best.

Cheers,
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      Originally posted by thehagistig
      Hi all

Both applications will have experiences that can suffer from poor hard drive performance, this is more common in laptops than desktops. 7200 RPM speed drives or faster (SSD) are recommended, 5400rpm drives are common in laptops, which is why they tend to have poorer results. The harddrive is the most common weakness found in computers because the amount of data that needs to move back and forth from the SQL Server to the application is massive, it could be gigabytes of data that needs to be reviewed just to populate graph! The second biggest weakness is lack of available RAM, the processor speed is not as critical as many people think it would be.

Once again we suggest you try both, and then decide based on your workflow and the speeds you experience. We had many users tell us that they switched to PT4 because our software performs better, but we have also had very small number of users claim otherwise - so its best to test for yourself to be sure... only you can make a truly educated decision.